Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

On 09/09/2021 at 21:41, Nick Gough said:

Thanks Graham and thanks for the recommendation.

My personal preference is silver foil with corrugations created by pressing into the rim of a marmite or coffee jar lid.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 16/09/2021 at 11:43, The Stationmaster said:

Could stand being darker (if that works out in 4mm scale) as goods shed decks were well used and more a sort of dirty grey colour rather than anything else.

Thanks Mike.

Is this better or does it need to be darker:

P1300127.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Incidentally, the C&WR should be appearing in tonight's Meridian News.

St Mary's church at Cholsey will also be appearing on TV shortly - in 'Endeavour' on 26th September.

Is that the ITV local news for you?

I can get all the BBC regional news variations but I don't think I can for ITV.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

Is that the ITV local news for you?

I can get all the BBC regional news variations but I don't think I can for ITV.

Yes, the ITV local news. 

I've just watched it, and it was a very nicely put-together piece with none of the awful puns that railway items seem to attract. Good to see some of our younger members getting a mention too.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes, the ITV local news. 

I've just watched it, and it was a very nicely put-together piece with none of the awful puns that railway items seem to attract. Good to see some of our younger members getting a mention too.

Found it online:

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-09-16/spirit-of-the-south-all-aboard-the-cholsey-and-wallingford-railway

As you say, a nice piece and a good advert.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

I've never tried that.

Is it very delicate?

It can be a bit fiddly, but once fixed to structure I've had no issues.  I glue it  to whatever I am using to make the structure of the building, e.g. Card, plasticard etc.  The hut on the left was a freebie from RM iirc, I figured that the roof was too shallow to be tiled, as depicted in the kit, so I simply covered it.  Of course foil is easy to rip which can be useful to make individual sheets or depict corrosion.  And of course if you want to be thrify (or tight like me) it's free - nobody misses a bit from the kitchen!

20201213_135226.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, bodmin16 said:

It can be a bit fiddly, but once fixed to structure I've had no issues.  I glue it  to whatever I am using to make the structure of the building, e.g. Card, plasticard etc.  The hut on the left was a freebie from RM iirc, I figured that the roof was too shallow to be tiled, as depicted in the kit, so I simply covered it.  Of course foil is easy to rip which can be useful to make individual sheets or depict corrosion.  And of course if you want to be thrify (or tight like me) it's free - nobody misses a bit from the kitchen!

20201213_135226.jpg

Thanks - that's worth bearing in mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Having finished the cart deck I had some of the dark grey mix left - so I used it up on the inside of the roof:

P1300128.JPG.c6a3b6c66f38a76666259747e0dae7b2.JPG

There are a few bare patches, that need touching in, but otherwise I think that will do.

The white strips at either end are primer. This is for the eaves where they extend beyond the wall and glazing screens. These will be painted 'dark stone'.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Having finished the cart deck I had some of the dark grey mix left - so I used it up on the inside of the roof:

P1300128.JPG.1c1b6e33d1aa69782bfd1a9126a90c23.JPG

There are a few bare patches, that need touching in, but otherwise I think that will do.

The white strips at either end are primer. This is for the eaves where they extend beyond the wall and glazing screens. These will be painted 'dark stone'.

I'd be tempted to leave the bare patches as they are.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

A little present arrived in this morning's post:

P1300130.JPG.05c1df8334db36239f7aa6d69eb34a33.JPG

A few weeks ago I took my new Hornby 61xx out of the box for its first proper run on the layout and to get it run in:

P1300131.JPG.079cbfdc08fe38bd2102c0c4c89b534c.JPG

By the end of the session I noticed that the body had become a bit loose, from the chassis, towards the rear.

On investigation, and checking against the instruction leaflet, I was surprised to find that two of the four body securing screws were completely missing.

As they don't hold spares the shop I bought it from could only offer a replacement loco. Since I was on holiday at the time of purchase I would have had to post it to them. However, I was reluctant to go to this trouble since I was otherwise perfectly happy with the model.

Following an enquiry direct to Hornby, and two minutes with a screwdriver, all is now simply resolved.

I must get my Hornby non-corridor set out of the boxes and give them a run with the prairie!

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, Graham T said:

That's a nice looking loco.  I've been shying away from getting a Large Prairie for Chuffnell Regis, but am beginning to get tempted!

I wasn't going to buy one, since I have half a dozen of the old Airfix/Hornby ones, then I saw one in the display cabinet and the price was right...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 17/09/2021 at 14:23, Graham T said:

That's a nice looking loco.  I've been shying away from getting a Large Prairie for Chuffnell Regis, but am beginning to get tempted!

Might be prudent to wait until the Dapol version breaks cover? - I don't think it will be long now, and maybe they will get here for the Great Electric Show in two weeks time!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I opened my tin of Phoenix Precision 'Dark Stone' this afternoon and sallied forth:

P1300137.JPG.ecaff2b9eda02c8570b8c9cbb5bbead6.JPGP1300135.JPG.74bb367585381da2e144b80737850e3f.JPG

Next one's a bit washed out by the camera flash:P1300138.JPG.412f2a30be235dcedf91b2d9f3e88e95.JPG

P1300139.JPG.21ef00a329690258e5df910c79c2c8d7.JPG

Definitely different to Railmatch's version at the bottom:

P1300133.JPG.0ff08d5d3cf3fefa0ebcd5fc349f9d41.JPG

And more like the colour I'm used to seeing at Didcot and other preservation sites.

Sadly, I'm not old enough to have seen the original version and have to rely on preservation and the occasional photo. Most of those published though are 1950s/60s when the colours had faded.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1