Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks without posting but I have found a little modelling time.

Valances for the goods shed canopy

My photos of the canopies at Tetbury and Maidenhead shew very simple valancing:

100_2423.JPG.e26ed8bc48c207c7371656b6b3c7ca7e.JPGMaidenheas3.jpg.dcb28694f4a42bd9cbc841081022bd7d.jpg

However, old photos and the drawings for Tetbury (in Great Western Branch Line Termini) reveal that these valances were originally fitted with dagger boards around them.

So time for the Silhouette again:

P1300608.JPG.1d658d82bf3be5df1ffa9d168b86d533.JPG

I have made the individual dagger boards 1.66 mm wide (roughly 5") and the small holes are .5mm diameter.

Separated and glued together:

P1300609.JPG.718a6eca7199055316a7494b2bf25fcc.JPG

P1300610.JPG.1021cfb95deeca098681d96a5977b382.JPG

Now left to harden off.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

The new building will go here:

P1300616.JPG.d9d1188ddd8e30c0adaa6d4326cbd102.JPGP1300614.JPG.390bec48fc7962661ae74de5bb4188dc.JPGUntitled-27.jpg.2f46abb9b27adac48251ed61238c3b58.jpg

Set into the embankment at the rear of the platform:

It will become a version of this:

The Down Main platform building.

When I say 'a version of', that is because, by the time of this photo (the mid-1980s), it had been rebuilt from the original, losing about half of its length at platform level, and losing its platform canopy.

The missing section - to the right - had contained a waiting room and 'gentlemen's' facilities, at the end.

The remaining section is basically now a cover for the staircase, descending on the left to the subway, with a small store room, seen through the archway and doorway behind.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 12

Seen from the rear gives a better idea of the original length of the building from the remaining ground floor, albeit the far left side is hidden by foliage:

1982619656_DownMainrear.jpeg.6d644435f1271326eafae50e8d55190e.jpeg

The ground floor windows (yes there is another one behind the tree) mark the end of the subway, from the other side of the station.

Further left, behind the tree, is a large blocked off archway similar to the one in the main station building, near to the entrance (discussed earlier in the thread):

stn2.jpeg.6e9b2adaf655e9ab78eab8c42833febc.jpeg

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 13

27 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looking forward to seeing this one develop!

Thanks Graham.

I chose to start the station with this one since it is the smallest and simplest of the three station buildings.

It is basically a rectangular box 117mm long, 50mm wide and 116mm high (allowing for around 16mm buried in the ground).

It's about a third the size of the goods shed so I'm hoping to build it a bit quicker!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

To help with the build I have printed out a number of elevations and plans to 4mm scale:

P1300612.JPG.9d9f0fc8f47aa44fb8605362bf75e0bd.JPGP1300618.JPG.571525650754b2bedbda287fb03a5170.JPG

To go with all the photos and measurements of the remaining structure taken during my site visits.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It will look much better as you're modelling it in its original condition. I can understand the thinking behind rationalisation, but the results are never aesthetically pleasing.

It can't be much fun now, as a waiting passenger, on a day like today, on the odd occasions when trains stop on the down main.

• Agree 4

Hi Nick,

So Cholsey & Moulsford moves forward! I expect you are pleased to finish the goods shed so that you can put one complete building on the layout?

I have been delayed on starting Bradenham's buildings by the decision to incorporate an engine shed in the layout! When I do get to buildings, I shall also  start with the goods sheds, which will be the largest structures. 

Meanwhile, I will follow your further building work with interest.

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Paul

I have a few more details to add to the shed before it's completely finished, but as I'm nearly there I feel ready to make a start with the station.

I made the goods shed first mainly to help with laying the goods yards sidings out in the right positions around it. However, I still can't start doing that as I'm still waiting for Peco to manufacture their new bullhead slips and pointwork!

I look forward to seeing your designs for the buildings at Bradenham.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if I have got a photo of it with the canopy?  I'll have a look through my 1960s photos I took at Cholsey and see if I've got one?

I can think of a few C&WR colleagues who would probably be interested in seeing those photos!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if I have got a photo of it with the canopy?  I'll have a look through my 1960s photos I took at Cholsey and see if I've got one?

Thanks Mike.

I would be very interested to see any Cholsey photos that you might have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'll see what I can sort out and scan.  I mainly concentrated on signals so don't go expecting lots of building pictures.

Many thanks Mike - that's understood.

The MAS scheme came in a few years before my first visit to Cholsey, so I'll be very interested to see any signalling photos.

I do remember the branch was still connected to the up relief, and worked by a ground frame, and the exchange/refuge sidings were still in place, in the 1970s.

• Like 2

This weekend didn't quite turn out as intended.

On Sunday we were due to take our grandchildren and their parents to visit Father Christmas at Didcot. However, on Thursday, following an outbreak at school, eldest grandson had to go for a covid test and subsequently, on Friday received a positive result, followed by brother and dad by Saturday. Fortunately none of them with more than very minor symptoms.

Therefore, the rest of us also took tests, on Saturday - with negative results. On that basis Didcot were happy for the rest of us to go still and re-booked the others to another date just before Christmas.

It was a cold day but our two year old grandaughter enjoyed her visit. To be fair my son has taken her to the railway centre several times already this year. She wasn't prepared to allow anyone else to hold her gift.

There was a different system this year from our last Santa visit. Visitors boarded the train on the main, demonstration line, near to the site entrance and were taken to 'Oxford Road' station at the far end of the line. This train was hauled by the 'Terrier' 2678, visiting from the Kent & East Sussex Railway:

P1300652.JPG.71cbeb433ff2b1aad4292a4758c98bc7.JPG

Passengers disembarked to visit Father Christmas in the Transfer Shed, but instead of the usual Luggage van grotto he was to be found on the footplate of Iron Duke with elves dispensing presents, down a slide, to the platform:

P1300632.JPG.fe372104dd5f0e7825c95df1228d0393.JPG

Everyone then gradually made their way to the end of the platform to join another train, on the branch line to travel to Didcot Halt before disembarking for mulled wine and mince pies. This train was hauled by 1340 Trojan:

P1300650.JPG.9c29918ba8b70c9880861be1b4320262.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Despite all the excitement I have managed to get the canopy glued to the goods shed:

P1300619.JPG.5174fca3aad0e8f55ea2c5fc02586d03.JPG

Followed by the valancing:

P1300667.JPG.7797e5ff366cf033104e5ff45aeeff73.JPG

And some flashing.

Of course, having fitted the valancing, the girders that I spent some time on are pretty well hidden except from below:

P1300621.JPG.1daaf12dd4701134e5a084df5f3e25b5.JPG

Still - I know they are there!

P1300666.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

6 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

It seems quite appropriate to have a broad gauge father Christmas.

Your goods shed is looking great in the photos, I really like the brick colours. 

Thank you Charlie.

I know what you mean. It's quite appropriate since Father Christmas himself was built to the broad gauge!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7