Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

Today I have been sticking empty cat food boxes together with a hot glue gun:P1280345.JPG.3f65255a15d5beeedbb9c9c1cd3bc036.JPGP1280346.JPG.35c7f21d452552b06ce0114ed7832429.JPG

This is to create the foundation for a small hill, for the corner of the room, next to Silly bridge:

P1280347.JPG.275ee6dbd26a7d31b658856f596f7328.JPG

Next job is to cut and shape the boxes to form the rise of the hill and the side of the cutting here.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's an awful lot of cat food.

Do you own Garfield? 

It's a whole lot less messy than the styrene that I have been hacking about. :D

That's not half of the boxes I have, ready for action!

Not Garfield, but we had two cats until last August and my daughter has another three!

I'm not fond of polystyrene, I like these boxes because they are sturdy, easy to work, and fix together, and, of course, cheap!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I like the idea here, the way that you can utilise the grid pattern of the boxes  control the contours in all three axis.

In fact, thanks, for giving me an idea, I'm off to hack about some bits of mounting card that I nearly threw out!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like the idea here, the way that you can utilise the grid pattern of the boxes  control the contours in all three axis

Agreed, it's a very good idea.

I'm still picking up stray bits of polystyrene from using it months ago

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Agreed, it's a very good idea.

I'm still picking up stray bits of polystyrene from using it months ago

Likewise. Even though I had a helper holding the hoover pipe right behind me. It's the manmade equivalent to a cockroach.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Thanks.

It's a little more difficult trying to get the angles right on a curve, but of course I can always stick more bits of the cardboard back on when I get it wrong!

It will get some more reinforcement, particularly where I have damaged the integrity of the boxes.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The polystyrene, the hoover pipe or the helper?

Let me break that down...

1. Definitely the polystyrene, our oceans are full of the stuff, which is tricky because the only way to destroy it is burn it.

2. Not the Hoover, I have killed three in the two years we have lived here. I suspect that Mr Dyson et al are getting their mechanical bits made by the same people who used to make them for Mainline Airfix and Bachmann, only cheaper still.

3. The helper I am sometimes worried about, whilst theoretically it is possible to kill her, it has been suggested that she might actually be a Terminator. (I can't think of any sane reason why she likes me)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

After a few days being unable to progress construction I have been able to continue with hill/cutting construction today:P1280356.JPG.084d4ece3742121c86d5ddc8dcab50b0.JPG

In the lower slopes I am using some small sheets of packaging material that I rescued from recycling. These are of a honeycombed, cardboard construction:

P1280353.JPG.0d03c353592719e4ab01d1cbd4be4b7e.JPG

Which should just be visible in the photos.

P1280355.JPG.e5e27a37127ccf23550c5ddca9d8fc5d.JPGP1280357.JPG.ddcbb71cdee67616b414825a6a5eb93b.JPGP1280359.JPG.51cd2feb9e1c6037aa48c385fbf938d8.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely neat work there Nick. I really enjoyed those weeks (several years back now) taking the Stanley knife to beer and cereal boxes and playing with the hot glue gun!  So much cleaner and easier than messing around with plaster or expanded foam.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At least we have got beyond the old Papier mache methods. Looking back to when I was a kid, although many people had central heating, it wasn't great and was only on for a few hours a day, you tended to play with the trains in winter and spent days wondering when the squashy mess would set.  Magazines would talk about using "the usual plaster bandage..." Even if I knew where to get it, or how to find out where to get it, I couldn't afford it anyway!

The lattice method may be an old one, but it has survived because it's cheap clean and simple. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Very nice and neat, almost seems a shame to cover it up

I'm a bit concerned about your diet of cat food and cornflakes though :huh:

It's purrfectly safe and no side effects. At least I have no trouble washing behind my ears now.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

18 hours ago, checkrail said:

Lovely neat work there Nick. I really enjoyed those weeks (several years back now) taking the Stanley knife to beer and cereal boxes and playing with the hot glue gun!  So much cleaner and easier than messing around with plaster or expanded foam.  

There's something therapeutic about sticking bits of cardboard together, to create a large object, without having to worry too much about accuracy.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2