Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

The whole hill completely covered with pieces of 'Metro':P1280388.JPG.5c132719330ac57021daea7b7bdd0a2f.JPG

This part is not fixed to the baseboard making it easier to work on:

P1280387.JPG.f405182367ab0bc5d35f681f14cbdfbd.JPG

Nick,

Looking good. 

Unfortunately I think that if you dig into the embankment at Cholsey you will find it is made of paperboard and screwed up Times newspapers.  :jester:

It is ok, no one will notice once you have finished.

• Funny 2

31 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Nick,

Looking good. 

Unfortunately I think that if you dig into the embankment at Cholsey you will find it is made of paperboard and screwed up Times newspapers.  :jester:

It is ok, no one will notice once you have finished.

Thanks Chris

I won't tell anyone if you don't!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Cholsey:

P1280390.JPG.6bafce977665e2815cc036ee9000345a.JPGP1280392.JPG.05979c60eafed01cf554e862e1d40d79.JPG

A bit bright at the moment, but the paint has covered up the newspaper so it's a start.

Two trips out today - both medical.

Dog to the vet's this morning for her annual check up and booster vaccinations. 

Me - to the local vaccination centre for my jab, this afternoon. Fifteen minutes drive each way and about fifteen minutes inside. All nice and smoothly run - and it's done!

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

The hill has been given a scattering of Woodland Scenic's 'Blended Turf':P1280398.JPG.281649bb0b7ac2d8e6d3b22e8cbd394f.JPG

The start of the rise seems to blend in okay with the flatter area towards the station:

P1280397.JPG.fe031ec7068c9489a2279df251612c7e.JPG

The chalk cutting face will need some weathering and vegetation in due course. I would also like to have a go generally with static grass at some point - something new for me.

On the other side of Silly bridge I have started extending the cutting and will have to work around the corner of the room's window reveal:

P1280399.JPG.4a3d5cc17966790bba94d76037d31eb5.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 10/09/2020 at 08:22, Nick Gough said:

Only a little progress since my first photo, but it may be a little clearer:

P1270301.JPG.f8048889b79844ea0686d06eada58c25.JPG

Back in September I decided to have a go at the goods shed and cut out some shapes from 3mm ply to create the basic structure.

Unfortunately I soon realised that the ply had a slight warp to it and I was also not sure that I had got the dimensions entirely correct. So I put the pieces to one side whilst I got on with other things.

With some further research I am now happy that I have worked out the dimensions I need. Since there is a slight variation from my previous attempt, and I was unable to straighten the ply, I am going to start again with some 3mm MDF that I have on order.

It may seem a wasted effort but, I believe, it was a useful learning experience as I have not tried constructing buildings this way before.

I still had the bits of ply so, rather than just throw them, I thought I would have a go at hot glueing them together:

P1280400.JPG.d03b114136fadbc97088c421ca28071b.JPG

You can see the warp in the railside wall although it is slightly exaggerated in the photo. The other walls are slightly straighter, helped by being fixed to the platform.

The whole structure is slightly oversized (by a few mm) but generally gives me an idea of what the building should be like when I get it made properly:P1280401.JPG.bf2d256154a4ea94f06b9f3f555a06fc.JPGP1280402.JPG.4f4f9434ff7b65afe61ab976af80e66c.JPGP1280403.JPG.f7fc3fcff96d9db76ea48e0aaef1ef0b.JPGP1280404.JPG.191cf8dd6f6d6ddc65f220d68d332454.JPGThreequarters of the top section of the end walls are not there since these are formed of glass screens, rather than brick, on the prototype. 

912604511_Maidenhead5.jpg.c4c482029a8f7b0803341540aa5fedae.jpgMaidenhead8.jpeg.e84d56c780b1c83dbbdb33e7aecaddfc.jpeg

Edited by Nick Gough
Removing repeated photo.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

I would also like to have a go generally with static grass at some point - something new for me.

Heartily recommended Nick as I bought the WWS version last summer and redid my scenics whilst furloughed. I was really surprised how it turned out without too much song and dance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Heartily recommended Nick as I bought the WWS version last summer and redid my scenics whilst furloughed. I was really surprised how it turned out without too much song and dance.

Thanks Rob. That's worth knowing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s a real shame the ply has warped as the overall structure looks superb.

Thanks Chris.

Having done this I'm tempted to put it together properly, with some support battens, and finish it off in a simplified form for my grandson's 6X4 railway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I have managed to acquire some very useful material this week.

Eight digital, plan drawings of the 'new' station at 'Wallingford Junction', thanks to Network Rail Archives.

These are TIF format copies of the 1891 contractors drawings for, what was to become, Cholsey & Moulsford station. They contain elevations, sections and floor plans of all the station buildings together with detail drawings of certain features like the roofing, canopies, chimneys, doors, windows.

I was having a browse of the Network Rail Archives page at the weekend and noticed that it is now possible to download scanned, historic drawings that they have on their site. Additionally you can enquire whether they hold other drawings not currently shewn - so I did!

In less than 24 hours I received an e-mail to tell me that they had added the Wallingford Junction drawings on a temporary basis. 

You are permitted to download any of their drawings for personal, non-commercial use. If anyone's interested they can be found on this link (for 30 days from Monday):

https://history.networkrail.co.uk/uncategorized/SO_ac3959ab-0b31-4252-a963-39903aa56d0d/

Although I took measurements of the existing buildings at Cholsey about twenty years ago the drawings contain a lot of features that are no longer present. Two of the buildings have been shortened and canopies removed in the last forty years or so, some parts have been remodelled - and, of course, I couldn't measure things like chimneys or roofs on my site visits.

All in all a very useful step forward for my project.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Nick - thanks for posting these.

A few interesting points to note:

* The Ladies' toilet has been relocated as it's now to the left of the waiting room door. I suspect this may even have been done at the design stage as the large windows on the north side of the waiting room (where the toilets are shown on the plan) are totally inappropriate for a ladies' toilet, and having the toilet there would also block out a source of light to the waiting room.

* The mysterious bricked -up archway to the left of the station building was to access a pump room (presumably now accessed via the "Other Railway"'s booking office.

* There was at one time storage under the stairs - there is no sign of this today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Nick - thanks for posting these.

A few interesting points to note:

* The Ladies' toilet has been relocated as it's now to the left of the waiting room door. I suspect this may even have been done at the design stage as the large windows on the north side of the waiting room (where the toilets are shown on the plan) are totally inappropriate for a ladies' toilet, and having the toilet there would also block out a source of light to the waiting room.

* The mysterious bricked -up archway to the left of the station building was to access a pump room (presumably now accessed via the "Other Railway"'s booking office.

* There was at one time storage under the stairs - there is no sign of this today.

As you say interesting:

*I'm inclined to think that the ladies' toilet was moved more recently - it does seem awkward to have that wall just inside the door from the platform:

597147553_Waitroom6.JPG.1c69e9b9591a7b87f9aa0de9fe18a15c.JPG

And the toilet door doesn't look an original feature:

1955622438_Ladiesroom.jpg.2c5695103aeafe787ae808206bb65754.jpg

One of the drawings shews a screen between the toilet and the waiting area and appears to have a series of windows along the top to let the light through.

At some point the archway was knocked through between the ladies waiting room and the general waiting room:

407466144_Waitroom1.JPG.a3b3c2f5bb5aeffae1f87d5d90fc2b3c.JPG

That would certainly have meant re-locating the toilet if it was there before.

* It's interesting to find the pump room and it appears there was only planned to be a fence and gate across the archway! This was definitely weatherboarded off with door and window by the 1950s.

I suppose a pump was needed since there were no other buildings (water mains/sewers) in the vicinity of the station at that time. The ground floor plan shows pipe exits to a ditch and cesspool.

There was also a room behind an archway under the down main building, but no indication on the plan what it was used for.

* There were certainly doors under the stairs (for storerooms?), in the subway when I took these photos:

Subway.jpg.38ead18d524972b8f3f85c3e1d6740e6.jpg696951689_Subwayent2.jpg.71100a67e089caa29ff8248d64cf28e4.jpg

Are they no longer there?

When I first walked through the subway in the early 1980s none of that modern cladding was there and it was still brick faced.

A couple of other points from the plans:

* The booking hall is different now - no sign of this wall and doors on the plans: 318042195_Subwayent3.jpg.f0bc7b99bd1dc3cb28a44b72cb742b39.jpg

And this door near the ticket window wasn't there:

485519937_TicketOffice.JPG.e8f89e44f715cf97fa8d0c4f21f35397.JPG

* I also find it strange that there is no office shewn for the Station Master or a Porter's Room unless they took refuge in the Parcel's Office/Cloakroom?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 18/03/2021 at 20:04, Nick Gough said:

* There were certainly doors under the stairs (for storerooms?), in the subway when I took these photos:

Subway.jpg.38ead18d524972b8f3f85c3e1d6740e6.jpg696951689_Subwayent2.jpg.71100a67e089caa29ff8248d64cf28e4.jpg

Are they no longer there?

No, I probably forgot - it's now 15 months since I've been there :-(

(And when I have gone past, I've usually been rushing over from the Down platform to grab the keys and cashbox off the Guard so haven't been paying too much attention to the surroundings...)

Incidentally I sent the link to the drawings to our Chairman - he told me he'd asked NR for them and they said they didn't have them!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Incidentally I sent the link to the drawings to our Chairman - he told me he'd asked NR for them and they said they didn't have them!

Considering how quickly they replied to my enquiry they must have scanned the original drawings on a previous occasion for somebody! Three of them appear to be black and white versions of the drawings in your museum at Wallingford.

I notice though that it's supposed to be a set of eleven drawings so perhaps the other three have gone missing? I wonder what they covered?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Great collection of drawings. I downloaded all the Cholsey' ones and a lot of the other ones on the portal such as College Wood Viaduct which is in Cornwall. So thank you very much for the link. Simon

Definitely a very interesting and useful resource. I have spent far too long looking at the drawings on there, including a vast amount dating back to the 1830s and the original GWR main line.

I don't know whether there is any significance to the Wallingford Junction drawings being in TIF format whereas those normally available on the portal seem to be JPEGs?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've finished cutting out the windows and doorway for the main part of the shed:

P1280412.JPG.cd812eb18b42d2c1fec40db836d815d6.JPG

And cut out a cart deck:

P1280415.JPG.a7ff7abdc868ff0f15c13e41e1c74724.JPG

The large hole is for carts/lorries, the long, thin cutouts for the sliding door recesses, and the two square cuts at the top for steps up from rail level.

Everything remains satisfyingly flat so far:

P1280416.JPG.32cf0e2bff43b9a431d7c1e793990717.JPG

Since I will be grandparenting for the next few days I won't try assembling it just yet.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

As a slight aside, the C&WR have now announced their running dates for this summer. 

Until further notice all tickets (and refreshments) must be booked in advance, and travel is from Wallingford only.

https://www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com/running-days

Good to see you should be running again soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2