Jump to content

Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)


Recommended Posts

Continuing to make slow, but steady progress with the brickwork on the goods shed:

P1280593.JPG.69ad499ddf69404e2485dd1906558f9c.JPGP1280594.JPG.212e50d35cd9a353aadfe03926f53891.JPG

 

Soon I will need to do something with the inside of the office:

P1280595.JPG.c782a7a4c37cb8cbd331bb05f04540c2.JPG

 

so that I can fix it to the main building and 'brick' it.

  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

How difficult can it be to find photos of the inside of a GWR goods shed office?

 

Well it's quite easy if you want a major city goods hub - Hockley - thanks to Great Western Journal or the excellent Warwickshire Railways website, e.g.:

https://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhd740.htm

 

However, if you want somewhere at the other end of the scale - ...?

 

Checking the internet and my book collection I've only found three relevant photos. Two at Pershore (GWR Goods Services part 2A) and one, very close to home, at Wallingford (The Wallingford Branch).

Of course neither of these sheds are the same design as Cholsey!

  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

The photos are, of course, black and white but show that the walls were painted a dark colour up to waist height and a light colour above.

 

Nick,

This is not very helpful, but I did read on a thread what those colours might have been, but I cannot remember which one.  It may well have been yours, (sorry), or it could have been Henley, or possibly one of @Mikkel 's.  Maybe it was Porth Dinllaen?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This website

https://www.stationcolours.com/gwr

states,

"Interior walls of brick or stone buildings were plastered and painted with distemper, which was supplied in white, cream, brown, Ivy Green, Dark Green and Cambridge blue. One of the darker shades was used up to dado level, with a lighter shade above."

 

 

This fits with some preserved examples, e.g. Kidderminster:

100_2097.JPG.73540821945864b22d26ec17bd38bb07.JPG100_2102.JPG.6806288d5cc76a72f6e85dd4e14835d1.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, ChrisN said:

 

Nick,

This is not very helpful, but I did read on a thread what those colours might have been, but I cannot remember which one.  It may well have been yours, (sorry), or it could have been Henley, or possibly one of @Mikkel 's.  Maybe it was Porth Dinllaen?

 

There was a discussion about the interior colours of weighbridge offices on Nick's thread, if that's what you mean?  This link goes to where it started, but if you move on to the following pages there are some very interesting photos by Tim V:

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

 

There was a discussion about the interior colours of weighbridge offices on Nick's thread, if that's what you mean?  This link goes to where it started, but if you move on to the following pages there are some very interesting photos by Tim V:

 

 

Thank you Mikkel for pointing me to that interesting thread.

 

I expected that building interiors would be covered in Great Western Way, but I can't find anything in the original edition.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Yes, nothing much in my version of GWW either. Have you seen the Hockley photos here - especially the 1939 one of the Invoicing Office which is just at the end of your period if I understand correctly. Very large offices of course, and a different setting:

 

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/hockley_goods.htm#offices

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Yes, nothing much in my version of GWW either. Have you seen the Hockley photos here - especially the 1939 one of the Invoicing Office which is just at the end of your period if I understand correctly. Very large offices of course, and a different setting:

 

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/hockley_goods.htm#offices

 

 

I have thanks.

 

They are interesting for the decor and fixtures and fittings, at least some of which must have appeared in the smaller goods facilities.

 

I can't imagine, though, that any of the young ladies shewn in the Comptometer Office would have enjoyed a posting to the goods office of a Berkshire junction station.

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

I can't imagine, though, that any of the young ladies shewn in the Comptometer Office would have enjoyed a posting to the goods office of a Berkshire junction station.

I don't know. Much easier to get "up Town" for a night out.

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A rudimentary, long desk:

P1280602.JPG.32b473c84f14dc36597fbb5153b386f4.JPG

 

To fit along the end wall of the office, below the windows:

P1280599.JPG.1b71bac7f168d7cb9c2e2599af44f6c0.JPG

 

This seems to be a common feature of GWR goods sheds built late 19th/early 20th century - no doubt to take most advantage of available natural light.

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've started drawing up window frames in Silhouette Studio for cutting out:

 

2059132796_Screenshot2021-05-04175442.jpg.b73ee52584af1815ca203f1b22c0a12c.jpg

 

Starting with the office windows, my initial cutting drawing is on the left in red. 

Working from a 4mm drawing of one of the Tetbury goods shed windows, on the right, imported into the programme.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick,

Just a suggestion, make the outer lines that need cutting in a different colour so that it will cut from the inside out.  It ought not to matter as it will be stuck to the mat but better safe than sorry.  Also I think you will need to make the top and bottom sashes separate.

 

Forgive me if this is obvious to you, but I would sooner say it than watch you learn the hard way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Nick,

Just a suggestion, make the outer lines that need cutting in a different colour so that it will cut from the inside out.  It ought not to matter as it will be stuck to the mat but better safe than sorry.  Also I think you will need to make the top and bottom sashes separate.

 

Forgive me if this is obvious to you, but I would sooner say it than watch you learn the hard way.

Thanks Chris. 

It never hurts to be reminded! Measure twice, cut once, etc.

 

This is just my first draft. Once I am happy with the dimensions I will duplicate it then adjust those to create the different layers. I am not sure, at the moment, how thick to make the layers.

 

These will be the most complicated windows for the goods shed, but should be good practice for when I make the station buildings.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.