Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If this helps? I went over to the Precision Paints dark stone alongside the Railmatch light stone for the same reasons you did.

IMG_20201223_224856.jpg.fac6a4223ac5b3d18fb1ab3d55b552bd.jpg

Thanks. That's a nice clear indication of what the colours should be, albeit slightly faded.

Where is that?

I know that the paints were mixed on site in earlier years so there would have been some variation.

The Railmatch version though does look very different although I'm sure that I've seen a similar colour used somewhere in preservation.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Thanks. That's a nice clear indication of what the colours should be, albeit slightly faded.

Where is that?

I know that the paints were mixed on site in earlier years so there would have been some variation.

The Railmatch version though does look very different although I'm sure that I've seen a similar colour used somewhere in preservation.

I focused on the top corner of the doorframe which would have seen less weather.

The picture was taken at the remains of Clifford station in 1974.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Anyway - time to glue the office to the rest of the goods shed:IMG_20210920_165555.jpg.3e9bde8a96f9034e2f3c3e3fec050046.jpg

I had left it until now so that I could, more easily, work on the ends.

THat is some beast of a clamp!  I assume it is a clamp and has not just crawled up out of a nearby manhole.

Progress though.  Is the finishing straight in sight?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

11 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

THat is some beast of a clamp!  I assume it is a clamp and has not just crawled up out of a nearby manhole.

It's actually two clamps, side by side, just to make sure that the two sides of the office stay butted up while the glue drys.

16 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Progress though.  Is the finishing straight in sight?

Maybe just over the next hill!

I'm getting there, but I've still got a few items to do;

Finish the office, main shed roof, glazing screens and lock-up.

Office roof, shed doors, gutters and drainpipes.

I also want to put a crane on the cart deck.

Some of that can wait as long as the basic shed is finished.

It's taken me longer than I anticipated, but if something is worth doing, it's worth taking the time to do it as well as I can.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

Forgot to mention in the last post:

Steps up to office door and canopy over cart entrance.

Meanwhile, glued into the office - chimney breast and fireplace:P1300148.JPG.94e55134e78e3c933e6ab2e8cb8c8704.JPG

Seen through the doorway:

P1300149.JPG.4dd86e3564701bcde2dfdf123ba21749.JPG

Entrance lobby counter and partition screen ready to go in:

P1300145.JPG.86b01d3821a513d6415fdd8f37aee2c5.JPG

Seen through the doorway:

P1300151.JPG.4415a78908f96c2e5f1d86ad9ea6f4f4.JPG

Just visible in the left hand pane is the corner of the mantlepiece, the fireplace now being behind the screen.

I think I will model the entrance door in the open position, which should allow some of the interior detail to be seen, although it will be somewhat darker once the roof is on.

Looking at the other end I put the glazed screen temporarily in position for a photo:

P1300140.JPG.433282f1a36426973c1870709fa66cba.JPG

It still has to be glazed before I fix it in permanently.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

As with my coaches, when I eventually build a structure, the roof will come off.  This will enable to inside to be seen/ shown off and, er, as my youngest son says, (who is into wargamming), so it can be used as a 'firing platform'.  I will put windows in, although it stops the soldiers poking their muskets out.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Point out to youngest son that a goods shed, being surrounded by open space is not really a defendable strongpoint, the lack of cover for a withdrawal makes it something of a last stand suicide mission.

That ought to stop your windows getting broken.;)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

Have you considered putting an LED in the office?  A shame to cover up all that lovely scratch-built detail.

I haven't.

I would have to think about how to do that.

Since the goods shed is about three hundred yards away from the main station buildings I would guess it didn't have a gas or electricity supply so I assume any lighting was by oil or paraffin lamps.

I'm not sure how best to represent that with an LED.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, ChrisN said:

As with my coaches, when I eventually build a structure, the roof will come off.  This will enable to inside to be seen/ shown off and, er, as my youngest son says, (who is into wargamming), so it can be used as a 'firing platform'.  I will put windows in, although it stops the soldiers poking their muskets out.

I'm going to keep the shed roof removable and could do the same for the office.

However, there will also be a ceiling/book loft floor underneath as well. So I would have to make that removable too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

I haven't.

Since the goods shed is about three hundred yards away from the main station buildings I would guess it didn't have a gas or electricity supply so I assume any lighting was by oil or paraffin lamps.

I'm fairly clueless about electrickery, but I seem to remember @chuffinghell doing something similar in his goods shed - I think a resistor might have been involved, but don't quote me on that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Point out to youngest son that a goods shed, being surrounded by open space is not really a defendable strongpoint, the lack of cover for a withdrawal makes it something of a last stand suicide mission.

That ought to stop your windows getting broken.;)

That reminds me of a small place we visited in South Africa three years ago.

All I need is a few hundred mealie bags, Stanley Baker, Michael Caine, and a couple of verses of 'Men of Harlech'. That should do the trick!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm fairly clueless about electrickery, but I seem to remember @chuffinghell doing something similar in his goods shed - I think a resistor might have been involved, but don't quote me on that!

That chuffinghell is clueless too

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

I haven't.

A lot of light was needed in goods sheds - hence the walls being whitewashed or painted in pale colours.  The staff needed to be able to read labels on consignments and the  Checkers had to write the delivery sheets out somewhere on the deck.   So when electricity arrved in woukld in soem respects be more necessary ina goods shed than elsewhere on a station.

The busy places for paperwork were the Stationmaster's office (especially at smaller stations where there wasn't a general duty clerk); the booking office; the parcels office and the goods shed and its office.  The amount of paperwork was staggering by today's standards as all transactions had to be recorded and then accounted for, balances had at one time to be prepared at the end of every shift although later just once every day (and ultimately some of it became weekly), daily balances had to 'proved' weekly by adding up the whole lot once again and checking that debits and credits balanced for the entire week (then there was also the four weekly account as well); outwards goods and parcels traffic had to be invoiced and some of that even continued into the late 1960s (I can show my age by recalling the Ledger Label 6 - LL6 - (cut flowers) parcels still had to be invoiced as late as 1966).  So there were literally mountains of apper having to be stored as well - ready to be accessed in case of any queries.   So good light was an essential - far more so than in the Ladies Room ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3