Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

AY Mod

9 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Indeed.

A diesel really doesn't work in what I think of as steampunk.

However....suppose Hornby saw the popularity of Cato Pass and the like, and wanted to bring out a range inspired by it...what else would they call it?

I'd say you could get away with a diesel in steampunk, as long as the aesthetic and feel are still suitably steampunk.

The term "steampunk" is, I think, slightly misleading. There are a lot of steampunk works that don't necessarily revolve around steam-powered technology. For instance, the Nautilus of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is powered by electricity (nuclear energy in the 1954 film). The technology in the comic Scarlet Traces is an unknown power source derived from the Martians of War of the Worlds, steam having been superseded.

"Steampunk" is derived from "cyberpunk." Cyberpunk describes a dystopian future where advanced technology co-exists with criminal anti-heroes and heartless corporations and a grimy noir aesthetic - think Blade Runner or Judge Dredd. "Cyber" represents the advanced technology, "punk" the rebellious low-life aspects. In the 1980s, the term "steampunk" was coined by K W Jeter to describe a small group of Victorian-set sci-fi and fantasy novels. Steam was simply used as it was a technology that revolutionised the 19th century in much the same way that computers would revolutionise the 21st century.

As the term has become better known, it's broadened somewhat. But basically this is a longwinded way of saying that it doesn't have to be steam to be steampunk, just to have that Victorian/Edwardian aesthetic.

Incidentally, other -punk terms with varying degrees of acceptance in sci-fi fandom are dieselpunk (Art Deco, 20th century aesthetic), clockpunk (Renaissance to pre-Industrial Revolution), sandalpunk (Classical), swordpunk (medieval) and dungeonpunk (classic fantasy).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, HonestTom said:

"punk" the rebellious low-life aspects

I had a long argument more than a decade ago about the "punk" bit, as UK steampunks back then (and as far as I can see, now) rather embraced the class-based version of steampunk, rather than the rebellious aspect. Witness the number of suddenly-titled people, the number of Majors, Sirs, Ladies, etc., or the number lady-/gentlemen-explorers.

The other thing - the steampunks I knew ten years ago largely only bought stuff they could wear or carry to events. The number of people decorating their houses in the steampunk style was very small in number, small enough to be remarkable. Have things changed much? I don't know.

3 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Speaking of American stuff, and assuming that the toolings still exist, I am somewhat surprised that the Wild West loco and stock from Hornby's Toy Story set have not been used as the basis for this range.

I presume there would be legal issues with that.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I think the future is here, then. :scratchhead::help:

Steampunk is the future as seen from the past. The tech presented has to be feasible future design as seen from the current past era and critiqued from the future present. Fetch t’inter-web info on Heath Robinson and Emmett as simple viable examples.

Sticking a few cogs on something is not steampunk. Hornby chose the wrong ‘consultant’ for this venture. A little basic research would have immediately flagged that up to them before committing to their poorly presented idea of this complex genre.

Try this...

https://pin.it/jmnnwg2uanyxl4

and compare with the German DRB19.10 real loco.

For steampunk real tech look at this ...

https://pin.it/6kmaylpbdhqeg7

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Finally! I had a flash of memory only to find that Snitzl had for some reason deleted his account and nuked all his rmweb blog posts. Finally tracked him down on a blogspot site.

https://snitzl.blogspot.com/

I think that Snitzl's 'fun town' is quite steampunk, featuring old style grandeur, market stalls on tram tracks, an overhead monorail, a docking station for a flying machine, and much more.

It's gorgeous modelling IMO.

327154069_19-FunLayout-Part4.jpg.53c694f94be51ce4de89ce8f389a55a5.jpg

01-WagonStalls2.jpg.39b3e1d3f5e7f6480d254c46e2d71a76.jpg01-VernesTower.jpg.65f403a13a333b7c880e838f10db8f51.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That by any standards is superlative modelling; and it's well worth following that link.

The imagination is first rate, as is his grasp the essence of a Steampunk rooted in a Victorian aesthetic, such as we recall from those Jules Verne film adaptations from the '50s.  

I did say that Beattie's designs for the SW looked pretty much there in Steampunk terms, and he's done a Well Tank in original condition, in blue! 

Superb modelling and real craftsmanship. Great model engineering; plenty of cogs, but they're all doing something!

Thanks for sharing.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Sticking a few cogs on something is not steampunk. Hornby chose the wrongconsultant’ for this venture. A little basic research would have immediately flagged that up to them before committing to their poorly presented idea of this complex genre.

I think that comment is somewhat unfair and not a little rude.

If you listen to Laurie's interview with Jenny (link posted earlier) he does explain about the limitations he was working to, be that time or using existing models.

He also says what he would liked to have done. So to just post a comment saying they chose the wrong consultant is harsh to say the least.

I for one will be ordering a set of the locos as I think they are actually pretty good, the kids at an exhibition would love them on a suitable layout.

Steampunk seems to be a broad term, this range looks to be a starting point.

We all are aware that we need to bring new people in to the hobby this could be a great start.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the greatest respect for Laurie Calvert, firstly for taking the plunge with 'Cato Pass' and creating an epic sci-fi layout that doesn't resemble anything I'd seen before, for then taking that out on the exhibition circuit and having the gumption to pull it off. I hope he's a trailblazer for more people pushing the envelope in different ways.

Secondly, for taking on this challenge with Hornby, which must have been a daunting task to say the least! It's not a challenge to be taken lightly and to throw yourself into it and put yourself on the line, so to speak, takes a lot of courage.

So I would say well done Laurie, this particular kind of Steampunk isn't totally my bag, but like you I do hope it encourages people who may not have tried out new things before now.

In fact, I'm inspired to make something myself along Steampunk lines, and I would otherwise not have been, so thank you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I have the greatest respect for Laurie Calvert, firstly for taking the plunge with 'Cato Pass' and creating an epic sci-fi layout that doesn't resemble anything I'd seen before, for then taking that out on the exhibition circuit and having the gumption to pull it off. I hope he's a trailblazer for more people pushing the envelope in different ways.

Secondly, for taking on this challenge with Hornby, which must have been a daunting task to say the least! It's not a challenge to be taken lightly and to throw yourself into it and put yourself on the line, so to speak, takes a lot of courage.

So I would say well done Laurie, this particular kind of Steampunk isn't totally my bag, but like you I do hope it encourages people who may not have tried out new things before now.

In fact, I'm inspired to make something myself along Steampunk lines, and I would otherwise not have been, so thank you.

I think that sums up my thoughts.

I benefited from watching Jenny's interview, which provided a number of insights.  I admire his work and think Laurie Calvert has been a great ambassador for "non-literal" modelling, and I'm always up for seeing more of that, be it Sci-fi or Steampunk, Disc World or the Shire, Emett or Forest of Boland!

I note that the interview made the assumption that anyone who didn't embrace the new Basset Lowke range was some hidebound traditionalist who didn't get it, whereas I would say that it is perfectly possible to like the idea of Steampunk model railways yet not actually find that this range is one's particular cup of tea.  Steampunk is a broad concept, after all.

Like Esteemed Brother Corbs, I, too, have found this announcement nothing but inspirational.  I had sketched out a steampunk layout idea some years ago, but the impetus and enthusiasm that this topic has provided means that it shall have to be dusted off and realised in some form.  All credit, then, to Laurie and Hornby for getting our creative juices flowing and exposing the market to new and challenging ideas.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I note that the interview made the assumption that anyone who didn't embrace the new Basset Lowke range was some hidebound traditionalist who didn't get it, whereas I would say that it is perfectly possible to like the idea of Steampunk model railways yet not actually find that this range is one's particular cup of tea.  Steampunk is a broad concept, after all.

I didn't get that impression - and I did like the comment about some people complaining about it being the same ones who want Battlespace brought back...

• RMweb Gold

Stumbled across this and thought it was pretty awesome. Looks like they've copied Big Boy running gear with an SNCF-style nose.

A real-life Big Boy is to this what a Toyota Hilux is to one of those vast Quarry Dumper Trucks!

Note the FLOCKS of birds in the station, and the three level stock! I really hope it isn't hand-fired.

d8ov9h8-4f37e2b0-30ca-4023-be5a-a637413a

• Like 6