Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

AY Mod

On 19/01/2020 at 17:58, eldomtom2 said:

Which brings us back to the question of why didn't they call it Hornby...

Given modern-day sensibilities perhaps a better name for the new range would have been Bassett-Woke ?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Stick a top hat and some goggles on him and call him Steampunk.

Wot? No cogs?

(squinting: oh, yes, they're there, but teeny tiny)

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Given modern-day sensibilities perhaps a better name for the new range would have been Bassett-Woke ?

I hope not!

Though I can see why the brand was seized upon by the Marketing Droids - in their eyes the Basset-Lowke of old WAS mainly cogs and gearwheels....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Anyway, Tim Mulhall should probably lose the swastika buttons

I can't decide if they're "those symbols" or merely similar to the brown leather buttons I had on a coat many, many (MANY) years ago that had a crossed pattern across the top. 

Even zooming in on the image doesn't help!

Back to the excresence brand itself.

Perhaps Hornby/Basset-Lowke could introduce a gearwheel-like lapel badge, with a suitable motto, to signify membership of their Steampunk Fraternity?

• RMweb Gold

It's not entirely my cup of tea, but..... If Hornby can turn a penny on it, then good for them. Of course, if it grows in popularity, then without a doubt, we'll see the bl**dy awful Flying Jockstrap model, done up like a tarts pyjamas. 

Otherwise,a good idea....

Ian.

• Funny 2

On 20/01/2020 at 00:26, PaulRhB said:

The Hornby association’s will help it sell to retailers at the toy fair, it will give confidence to the supply line. The public sales branding is a totally different entity and Bassett Lowke is perfect for that. 
To be honest the tinplate recreations scaled down and using the smokey joe chassis would probably have made pretty cool desk models for a steampunk enthusiast. Something different again from trying to model a full size Steampunk loco that better fits the chassis? The industrial 0-4-0 body slightly shortened to look like the classic 0-4-0 with a glossy paint job? In tinplate would be even better but maybe a diecast body tooled by the Corgi part of Hornby would have worked best for that? ;) 

But the whole point is that it ISN'T a "sit on a desk" model, with the possible exception of the figures.

Les

• Agree 1

perhaps if steampunk works Hornby could follow up by using another old name for a range based on this (at Locomotion this week)

20200115_150552.jpg.13b7f01623dc03e73382096a14940551.jpg

I know it has been modelled before, but r-t-r from a main manufacturer?

Just a thought

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

But the whole point is that it ISN'T a "sit on a desk" model, with the possible exception of the figures.

But what would appeal to Steampunk aficionados generally? ;) Something to display and collect that can also run on a layout. As you point out the larger figures are display models so why not make one of the three locos a  retro steampunk trainset? 
The Industrial 0.4.0 already looks like the old Hornby clockwork so why not a glossy version with simulated paint chips . . .

Two ranges in one for testing the market.

B4509ABA-D41A-426A-B6BF-A4A66DB7A94A.jpeg.ed9febb6d926ad32684e3980cc710e07.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I have taken a closeup of the controversial buttons. Mr Mulhall describes them as "Paddington bear buttons". 20200121_173034.jpg

Nothing controversial about those buttons. I had buttons exactly like that on my jacket, back in the 60's. 

• Agree 1

On 21/01/2020 at 14:00, Edwardian said:

I think that's called "the Rotary Club"

That's a solid enamelled object, I was thinking more in terms of a bronzed openwork metal effect with a curly banner across the middle...  :jester:

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

That's a solid enamelled object, I was thinking more in terms of a bronzed openwork metal effect with a curly banner across the middle...  :jester:

Just ask Andy Y to give your Gold Membership medallion a serrated edge, that should do the job!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

All my photos from yesterdays visit to the Steampunk emporium are now on World of Railways: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/bassett-lowke-steampunk-range-showcased-at-the-london-toy-fair/

Re the photo of Laurie Calvert there - now if those were cogs sticking out of his head above his ears, I'd understand the inspiration for the buildings in the range.... :mosking:

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Nothing controversial about those buttons. I had buttons exactly like that on my jacket, back in the 60's. 

60s be damned! My good Harris tweed jacket still has them and so does my winter jacket !!  :triniti:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Just ask Andy Y to give your Gold Membership medallion a serrated edge, that should do the job!

I'd prefer it if there was a more discreet "gold membership" indicator, not something that would appear attractive to a professional footballer!

Can AY remove the damn thing?

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'd prefer it if there was a more discreet "gold membership" indicator, not something that would appear attractive to a professional footballer!

As you know, all that's gold doesn't glitter ....

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Simple answer, yes - PM AY. :)

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I want a bigger, more intimidating medal.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

Although you have not faced any allegations of doping or failed a random drugs test you have now been stripped of your gold medal.

• Funny 12