Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2020 at 13:38, Edwardian said:

Indeed, that might be "tedious"

I think that's probably right. And as a concept, I think it's a good idea that had some prospect of successfully fulfilling that brief.

I did take the trouble to read the two pages of forum comment by Actual Steampunkers, linked to earlier, however. Of course, it should be considered that they may not be anymore representative of the steamy punk-pound than the two dozen or so exacting commentators of, say, RMWeb are of the model railway hobby. But, still, I cannot help but feel that their views vindicated my conclusion that more effort could have been put into this by Hornby.  Perhaps the range will mature.

I notice, however, that someone has stuck some gears on Phil Parker, so I look forward to his Ebay listing in due course.

Hmmm dont think you could describe him as 'Mint' or 'BNIB'  More like 'well worn'  'A few knocks and dents as expected on something this age'    ' Ok runner but could do with a good service '    Dont think he's quite at the 'Good scrap yard project'  just yet :mosking:

A inspiration of what could be done to the Hornby four wheeler. The prince of Wales saloon.

Wasn't there an old Triang carriage which looked a bit like that?  Though I'd assume it was one of the molds which went to the rag-and-bone men...

Hi All,

This Steam Punk Range of Hornby's is very Interesting and it will be also interesting to see what will be at Exhibitions Layout in the future.

Not sure if this warrants the Steam Punk, I think it does and is Iconic from The Best Film Ever Made for a Time Machine and also ties in very nicely with  the new Oxford Rails Announcement of the DeLoreon in 1/76, which I'm sure it will be a matter of Time before someone adapts it to tun on the Rails...

From the film Back to the Future III aka BTTF3

1045884229_BTTF3FutureSteamTrain16BMod1.jpg.c615e1fe096737a9da4c07146ff166b8.jpg

Then it takes off up in to the sky for a unknown destination...1812955414_BTTF3FutureSteamTrain40Mod1.jpg.ca8438b3354abb51f1b927e90222709c.jpg

NOW... I would love to see Hornby Release this as a running loco model or a static scale version of it, if nothing else.

I am amazed this as never been make before now, for mass production.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

which I'm sure it will be a matter of Time before someone adapts it to tun on the Rails...

wheeeeeeey!

Surely the first train-drone hybrid would Fly off the shelves?

Edited by Corbs
  • Funny 6

5 hours ago, Corbs said:

wheeeeeeey!

Surely the first train-drone hybrid would Fly off the shelves?

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Again, the lack of a 'groan' button is keenly felt ...

So its not just me then that wishes these things lol Love It...

That BTTF3 Steam Train, I never gave it a thought about it being the First (RC) Train-Drone Hybrid and I'm in to my Drones to despite all the new Drone Regs' that we now have, I'm qualified, the only issue I have now, is that I'm within 5 miles of a small airport so I need there permission to fly it less than 400ft high, what is the point lol

But the idea of a (RC) Flying DeLoreon (as Biff says at the start of BTTF2) as been done (see YouTuber: DroneWorship, Brilliant to watch, over 12 or so episodes to get his drone DeLoreon to fly) but the Flying Train... now you have me thinking about Hmmm... lol Ah Man... we need the train in model form first, come on Hornby, Read this Thread and act on it, I'll expect it in Hornby 2021 Catalogue release now as a Running Train Model and also the Normal Steam Train with 'Clara' Coach and Caboose (Train Set) to help PUSH... the Oxford Rail DeLoreon up to 88 Miles Per Hour.

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Laurie and Cato Pass were at the Longfield show today, lots of interest from the younger attendees. He was showing them how his creations start with a basic loco like a 'Smokey Joe'. Certainly a possible entry point to the hobby.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Laurie and Cato Pass were at the Longfield show today, lots of interest from the younger attendees. He was showing them how his creations start with a basic loco like a 'Smokey Joe'. Certainly a possible entry point to the hobby.

Hi Tony

We all started somewhere, I still have my old Smokey Joe, yet its not one I would choose to run today as my chose as moved on and advanced from just running one loco with a couple of wagons and a coach lol and now.... we have some much to chose from today to start us off. 

On Price basis, I'm just glad I started a long time ago lol, although saying that it's expensive for all of us in the latest Catalogue releases, no matter how long we have been in the Modelling world.

Regards

Jamie

All sorts of things have been said in this thread, but Laurie has risen above it and said this:

On 06/01/2020 at 23:08, LocoLaurie said:

Hornby also want to give people the idea, and then see what they come up with. Over to you folks really......

So I've produced a crude doodle of a crude body for the 0-4-0 chassis. But since my doodle is not part of Hornby's 2020 range, I've posted it in the Imaginary Locomotives topic.

I always thought that the BTTF3 locomotive was completely imaginary until I got hold of a copy of "The Fairlie Locomotive"  by Rowland A. S. Abbot 1970 David and Charles ISBN 0 7153 4902 3.  But the locomotive as seen in the 19th century scenes is a Mason-Fairie and the screen capture above is truly a steam punk version.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

All sorts of things have been said in this thread, but Laurie has risen above it and said this:

So I've produced a crude doodle of a crude body for the 0-4-0 chassis. But since my doodle is not part of Hornby's 2020 range, I've posted it in the Imaginary Locomotives topic.

I’ve been doing something similar, albeit in Gn15. It’s 50% steampunk, 50% Emett.

AA2CE13B-DF08-4897-808A-76AAA5F4AE85.jpeg.2a51a54858d6e586d8464753bb0834b2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

35 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I’ve been doing something similar, albeit in Gn15. It’s 50% steampunk, 50% Emett.

It's fun, isn't it? And hats off to you for your chimney crown! I've just been looking through your thread, and it looks as though you, like me, are a habitual user of the cheapest chassis of all.

It's a pity that the motor and its mount are so big, but I guess that Gn15 or O16.5 is a good workaround for that problem.

Just now, TangoOscarMike said:

It's fun, isn't it? And hats off to you for your chimney crown! I've just been looking through your thread, and it looks as though you, like me, are a habitual user of the cheapest chassis of all.

It's a pity that the motor and its mount are so big, but I guess that Gn15 or O16.5 is a good workaround for that problem.

I thank you. The crown is a candle holder for a birthday cake. The box-shaped tank or whatever I decide it is, is my solution to the chunky motor. I’m planning other engines in future, so will aim for something less obvious then.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, TangoOscarMike said:

I thank you. The crown is a candle holder for a birthday cake. The box-shaped tank or whatever I decide it is, is my solution to the chunky motor. I’m planning other engines in future, so will aim for something less obvious then.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

18 hours ago, HonestTom said:

Hi HonestTom

It's not till the things are pointed out to you, that you see the bigger picture, that's a genus... how you can pickup tips of the simplest of things we probably see or touch everyday and we see something like your item and it starts the cogs rolling... Thanks for that. 

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi HonestTom

It's not till the things are pointed out to you, that you see the bigger picture, that's a genus... how you can pickup tips of the simplest of things we probably see or touch everyday and we see something like your item and it starts the cogs rolling... Thanks for that. 

Regards

Jamie

Thanks! I was inspired by Chris Walas, who uses all sorts of unlikely household items in his steampunk models. Party whistles and wine glasses for funnels, doll eyes for rivets, he even turned an iron into a weird locomotive.

• Like 2