Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

AY Mod

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:11, Corbs said:

I've been inspired to make my own version of a Steampunk loco, work in progress....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d434.jpg.655cbfb3de1a5fcfb6ba9a3e6ecca31d.jpg

That, I would say, is pretty spot-on. It has the Victorian look, including the elaborate decor, with futuristic touches and plenty of whimsy. Mine is finally complete:

2D90B871-CC16-4F8B-8027-473767BF032F.jpeg.73599cf32f32ac7b1332e9f605fe3a15.jpeg

The Seacastle, Morstemwo and Aberfanana Light Railway operates on a very low budget. More on the build here.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

45 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I was going to ask where the gears were..?? :dontknow:

It can't be Steampunk without gears.... apparently. :scratchhead::jester:

I like the 'speedy' cab roof & tender outline. :yes:

I’m not a fan of gratuitous gears, but nevertheless, as my engine is kind of a parody, I felt like I had to include some. I tucked them into the cab. They’re part of the brake mechanism... or the reverser... or something.

274846C0-03DC-481A-9B85-E798502D56EC.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, in my opinion Corbs and HonestTom have hit the nail (or rather, two of the many available nails) squarely on the head.

Prompted by @LNWR18901910 (and by the voices in my head), I've started work on another steampunk-ish design for the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis (the only chassis known to me!).

Here's a preliminary doodle (there's still lots to be done!):

streamline_doodle10.png.421182328e29b0b4cb30facb12b4a3b5.png

But who, honestly, doesn't need a toy 0-4-0 streamliner for their layout?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Well, in my opinion Corbs and HonestTom have hit the nail (or rather, two of the many available nails) squarely on the head.

Prompted by @LNWR18901910 (and by the voices in my head), I've started work on another steampunk-ish design for the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis (the only chassis known to me!).

Here's a preliminary doodle (there's still lots to be done!):

streamline_doodle10.png.421182328e29b0b4cb30facb12b4a3b5.png

But who, honestly, doesn't need a toy 0-4-0 streamliner for their layout?

Gosh! What a model this is! If it was decked out in a silver livery with gold streaks, it would be amazing to have on your layout! It would be reminiscent of the American streamliner toy train sets of the 1930s but still in a British flavour.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/02/2020 at 11:11, Corbs said:

I've been inspired to make my own version of a Steampunk loco, work in progress....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d442.jpg.2a6ee95234e141c53790969859ab89bb.jpg

Blimey! It looks like something from a Ronald Searle drawing or an illustration from a children's book!

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 05/02/2020 at 11:11, Corbs said:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d442.jpg.2a6ee95234e141c53790969859ab89bb.jpg

56647476_CorbsSteampunkedDeanSingle.jpg.21b1dbec3bb829dcd32518b0293c2278.jpg

I think this is a superb bit of modelling.  It's also the sort of thing I was musing on, so I confess that it fits my particular thoughts on Steampunk aesthetics, but I don't think I'm being biased; it's a genuinely great bit of design and exectution.

As is Honest Tom's 'Box Tank'.  While both clearly not 'of this world' they both recognisably and successfully build on a Victorian aesthetic, and they are both witty and original.

1896085966_HonestTomsBoxTank.jpeg.ca1be16dbaaa0c607c42f7b9357a1308.jpeg

I'm loving the creativity that this Hornby announcement has unleashed.  

On 05/02/2020 at 21:48, HonestTom said:

That, I would say, is pretty spot-on. It has the Victorian look, including the elaborate decor, with futuristic touches and plenty of whimsy. Mine is finally complete:

2D90B871-CC16-4F8B-8027-473767BF032F.jpeg.73599cf32f32ac7b1332e9f605fe3a15.jpeg

The Seacastle, Morstemwo and Aberfanana Light Railway operates on a very low budget. More on the build here.

• Like 4

On 05/02/2020 at 22:58, Les1952 said:

I like the GWR streamlined smokebox door, but it looks more Raj than steampunk overall.....

Les

I don't know what the current steampunk scene majors [sic] on, but ten years ago, if someone wasn't a Martian time-travelling explorer it was odds on they were something out of India, particularly the "3rd Foot & Mouth" people. There is still a website, although I am not sure they've done anything since 2012.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:10, John ks said:

Not sure if this steampunk but it's very impressive

John

There's another form of "punk" known as "atompunk," which is based on the concept of the future as seen by America in the 1950s - endless optimism, shining chrome, streamlining, bright colours and everything powered by safe, clean-burning plutonium! Think Futurama or the Fallout games. I think this loco comes under steampunk and atompunk. Extremely cool, however you categorise it.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". It's based on an alternate history where cleanliness was not merely next to godliness, but far surpassed it, with the result that everything - absolutely everything - was kept completely spotless at all times. Thus neatly negating any need for weathering :)

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

This is an interesting concept and the sci-fi/fantasy model market is huge. Unfortunately standards in that market can be exceptionally high with prices to match and it seems to be driven by products linked to films, games and books. I often visit the Forbidden Planet shop near Covent Garden and some of the stuff they sell is really quite remarkable. I am not sure sticking some fantasy lip stick on old tat will cut it in that world, especially with no link to a franchise.

• Like 3

So things to consider. In the Great Model Railway Challenge normal people who'd talk to me about it, knowing my interest in trains, would always talk about the more "interesting" and unconventional layouts made on the show. The more realistic ones were rarely talked about and boy howdy, does everyone have a slight bug bear with how they treated the Loco Ladies for their brilliant crochetted trees which were apparently in support of Breast Cancer UK.

Heck, even my now dearly departed mother watched it with me, and once shushed me while we watched it one night! Others close to me enjoyed watching it and have zero interest in railways whatsoever and I've known this. But they all liked the show. Its cheesyness appealed and anything that wasn't boring realism was far more interesting to general audiences than the rest of us.

The other thing to consider is that these people are not going to be like Edwardian, or Laurie and other many great modellers on this forum. Buying something, and then promptly pulling it apart to modify it is an anathema to a lot of people and daunting to those who want to try it anyway.

Hornby's doing the right thing by getting Laurie on board and making them look a bit like the stuff that was seen on the Great Model Railway Challenge and the stuff which "stuck" in people's minds who aren't railway modellers.

As Laurie's noted, he's had to do this within confines related, namely that he's had to use existing products on the cheaper end of the scale of Hornby's range due to the large expense involved in any new tooling (I beleive £100k minimum?) and Hornby will have been well aware of their 2012 Olympics flop and likely considered any such moves with a new range accordingly.

You also see this in other matters of Hornby's actions with the rest of their range. A lot of the 2020 celebratory products are very limited in number and priced accordingly, with only "sure bets" such as the Rocket getting a limited special edition and a more wider release.

This is because 2017's financials still shows significant loss to Hornby and while Simon Kohler has said Hornby's in "a better position" it's not out of the woods yet and likely still a few years from posting profits. Best way to do that? A cheap brand revival which appeals outside of its core market without breaking the bank.

Though as a suggestion, making a version of the Singles painted in something "steampunky" livery for a large sprocket or tea company might be a good idea.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". It's based on an alternate history where cleanliness was not merely next to godliness, but far surpassed it, with the result that everything - absolutely everything - was kept completely spotless at all times

"Raising Steam" by Terry Pratchett has a pretty realistically done, Steampunk/Fantasy railway operation in the "Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway Company", so-named because the wife of the head of the company thought it sounded better, and the air of cleanliness would attract more patronage :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3