Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Din said:

So things to consider. In the Great Model Railway Challenge normal people who'd talk to me about it, knowing my interest in trains, would always talk about the more "interesting" and unconventional layouts made on the show. The more realistic ones were rarely talked about and boy howdy, does everyone have a slight bug bear with how they treated the Loco Ladies for their brilliant crochetted trees which were apparently in support of Breast Cancer UK.

O/T but I agree with that, I thought the trees were genius and felt it was very unfair how they were dismissed so quickly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2020 at 13:25, MarkSG said:

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". It's based on an alternate history where cleanliness was not merely next to godliness, but far surpassed it, with the result that everything - absolutely everything - was kept completely spotless at all times. Thus neatly negating any need for weathering :)

Already done, by William Stroudley among others. Was it not he who used to wipe a white cloth round the back of the driving wheel spokes? - if it wasn't still white, someone was on the carpet...

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

O/T but I agree with that, I thought the trees were genius and felt it was very unfair how they were dismissed so quickly.

They felt vindicated with the amount of public support they were getting with their layout on display at Warley. Lots of people said the same to them, apparently.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2020 at 23:55, MarkSG said:

I think I'm going to invent a genre and call it "Cleanpunk". ….thus neatly negating any need for weathering :)

I was just thinking along those lines this week.  I have some weathered stock but generally I prefer the pristine look.  On the other hand I have seriously overdone the filth on the track. :(

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Already done, by William Stroudley among others. Was it not he who used to wipe a white cloth round the back of the driving wheel spokes? 

(Sir) William Goodman, Chief engineer and General Manager of Adelaide South Australia's Municipal Tramways Trust 1907-1950) is said to have lined up and inspected  drivers and conductors military fashion each day to ensure that their attire was immaculate. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2020 at 23:18, KymN said:

(Sir) William Goodman, Chief engineer and General Manager of Adelaide South Australia's Municipal Tramways Trust 1907-1950) is said to have lined up and inspected  drivers and conductors military fashion each day to ensure that their attire was immaculate. 

Quite right too!

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2020 at 11:22, Compound2632 said:

Already done, by William Stroudley among others. Was it not he who used to wipe a white cloth round the back of the driving wheel spokes? - if it wasn't still white, someone was on the carpet...

Doesnt the Orient express check that individual screws on the panelling are set to perfect horizontal ?

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Whoever wrote that article doesn't really understand what "patented" means.

I’m afraid that’s just one example of Auntie’s declining editorial standards. 

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read some of the many pages on this. Can't see it has any real relevance to Railway Modelling. If it makes a positive contribution to the Hornby balance sheet then good, otherwise it has a whiff of those London Olympics rubbish figures about it. How much of Hornby's limited manufacturing capacity is to be taken up with this? Also fully agree with those who commented on the cheapening of the Bassett-Lowke brand. Certainly not for me; cobblers should stick to their last, and cobblers is what this lot is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RAYTHEROCK said:

How much of Hornby's limited manufacturing capacity is to be taken up with this?

Not much, move on.

No need for the bold text really; it's not anything anyone else hasn't already said so there's no need for emphasis.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• 4 months later...
On 23/09/2020 at 22:08, Jenny Emily said:

These arrived the other day  as something different and imaginative they do hit the mark.

They actually inspired me to build my own from bits from my scrap box and an old class 06. I like the way they let your imagination run wild. 

F19B9727-5449-4C25-A526-AC273A9E6A1F.jpeg.a8192a7bdc5e9a89abba1bfda5a78792.jpeg1469959E-D2EB-455A-AAF5-ED195A08388F.jpeg.26b6c3460a92978602adfe5031da427c.jpeg8D37D955-9E74-4C56-B9EB-9C3D6030A278.jpeg.f131a2f8fc7e3008319cd8298f7c8184.jpegB47C3A10-3E1B-49F0-A9D3-831971A43F8C.jpeg.22962c06f5879a07b1591d8fb8f2dd76.jpegC725C0B3-BD6B-46D6-91E8-1AD79A3B4C98.jpeg.5153f086f6718ea7257138befc95f342.jpeg

That's not bad Jenny! Quite different. I hope it actually diverts people into the hobby.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It’s something a bit different isn’t it ?

maybe steampunk will appeal more to the younger generation who tend to have more fertile imagination 

I've noticed Airfix have a quick build (Lego style) system for younger builders and Scalextric have a similar Lego styled system for cars too.

Given Marklin already offer a brick compatible system in their younger range I feel Hornby have missed a trick in not doing something similar using the 0-4-0 chassis and the typical train set wagon chassis parts. Probably already been discussed on here but I'd imagine that would be more enticing to younger modellers, especially being compatible with another toy brand.