Hornby goes Steampunk in 2020

AY Mod

2 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Way back in February @Corbs produced his elegant response to Hornby's steampunk range.

In the mean time, I've been pottering away at my design, with help from @Gibbo675 and @LNWR18901910. And now, finally, I have a picture of my 0-4-0 streamliner, sitting on a Holden chassis.

0-4-0_streamliner_unpainted_first_look.png.78812540cb3ead578cadfaae246dfaba.png

Now it's time to slosh some paint on.

As much as i enjoy the steampunk and dieselpunk art works and styles, and admire creativity of models i've seen at exhibitions (remember them?!) And that model you've come up with looks fantastic; something just never felt right about the trains built around standard modelling products, looking at your picture i've just realised what it is: The track! normally 4mm models on HO track doesn't bother me too much, but there's something about the uniformity of it that removes me from the illusion when it comes to steampunk. Depending on the type of model being depicted, it might work better on O16.5 track, or even baulk road.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Way back in February @Corbs produced his elegant response to Hornby's steampunk range.

In the mean time, I've been pottering away at my design, with help from @Gibbo675 and @LNWR18901910. And now, finally, I have a picture of my 0-4-0 streamliner, sitting on a Holden chassis.

0-4-0_streamliner_unpainted_first_look.png.78812540cb3ead578cadfaae246dfaba.png

Now it's time to slosh some paint on.

Super job! Is it on shapeways?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

See, now that hits the spot quite nicely. I can picture that in a version of the Delaware and Hudson bluebonnet with a couple of coaches in tow, shortened Silberling coaches or those old Lima Pullmans given a breath of new life.

Corbs single is absolutely marvellous. That is the precisely kind of model I think of for this genre. I'd love to see his thoughts on the coaches behind it to be honest.

Thinking further, the track really is another consideration. I agree with the notion of baulk road, but I'd add the complexity of mixed gauge into the deal. 16.5mm and 32mm track but not done with 3 rails, instead having the entire 'narrow' gauge within the 'eight foot' of the 32mm. What of the platforms for the narrow gauge though?!! Well, what could be more steampunk than the platform being cantilevered out to meet with the arriving train?

good grief, thats a deep rabbit hole!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

The track! normally 4mm models on HO track doesn't bother me too much, but there's something about the uniformity of it that removes me from the illusion when it comes to steampunk. Depending on the type of model being depicted, it might work better on O16.5 track, or even baulk road.

Golly, did you in fact recognise that as a piece of HO track? It is - it's Fleischmann track - I live in Germany, so I'm using whatever's to hand!

I just held a piece of Hornby track next to it, and measured them both. The Hornby sleeper length and spacing are slightly bigger, but not in proportion to the scale difference. They could be models of different prototypes, or perhaps not realistic scale models at all. I guess there are people here with detailed knowledge.

If when I get round to making my layout, it will be "Freelance Pre-Grouping", by which I mean "Colourful toy trains in a vaguely Edwardian/Victorian setting, with some GWR bits and pieces thrown in". For these purposes I need the railway to look "believable", but with very low standards of realism. As far as track is concerned, I'll probably be happy with anything that has wooden sleepers.

And I won't be going for a strong steampunk aesthetic. I'm planning to put normal old-fashioned lining on this engine (but maybe make it slightly more ornate), to make something that might look slightly futuristic to Victorian eyes (an alternative would be a 1930s colour scheme, to make it look like a baby streamlined Coronation).

But you make a valid point - for a more thorough steampunk treatment, the track could make all the difference. And baulk road is an exotic look. Well, "exotic" for the likes of us.

• Like 2

On 15/01/2021 at 08:15, PaulRhB said:

Super job! Is it on shapeways?

Thank you! It will be for sale on shapeways, but I don't like to offer anything for sale until I've painted it and run it on some track, and generally made sure there aren't any pitfalls.

In this particular case, there are steps up the back of the tender, and the steps call for handrails.

0-4-0_streamliner_unpainted_from_behind.png.7f43af8278a0f70046e9761fa25f0b8c.png

And since nice-looking handrails can't be printed in Versatile Plastic, I've also printed some handrail knobs in Fine Detail Plastic. I need 8 knobs, so I've printed 48.

handrail_knobs_and_bloke.png.0b07aceb3560d6adc2cc09f136fdbf8f.png

I don't anticipate any problems with the engine and tender, but I need to know whether or not the handrail knobs work before I offer these things for sale. They are awfully small.

Of course, handrails aren't compulsory - it would be easy to fill the holes.

Edited by TangoOscarMike
Restoring pictures
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Zunnan said:

See, now that hits the spot quite nicely. I can picture that in a version of the Delaware and Hudson bluebonnet with a couple of coaches in tow, shortened Silberling coaches or those old Lima Pullmans given a breath of new life.

Corbs single is absolutely marvellous. That is the precisely kind of model I think of for this genre. I'd love to see his thoughts on the coaches behind it to be honest.

Thank you! For the paint-job I have in mind (futuristic Victorian) I think anything small and old-fashioned would do - the new Hattons or Hornby coaches, the Triang Clerestories, the Hornby 4-wheelers, the Ratio kits....

Your Silberling and Pullman suggestions would work for Corbs single, I think, but they'd be too long for my engine.

5 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Thinking further, the track really is another consideration. I agree with the notion of baulk road, but I'd add the complexity of mixed gauge into the deal. 16.5mm and 32mm track but not done with 3 rails, instead having the entire 'narrow' gauge within the 'eight foot' of the 32mm. What of the platforms for the narrow gauge though?!! Well, what could be more steampunk than the platform being cantilevered out to meet with the arriving train?

And there you've touched on one of my pipe dreams. I think it would be fun to model a hypothetical Edwardian GWR, in which broad gauge survived and express locomotive development took advantage of it. And 32mm track would certainly be an option for this - I don't think Brunel would begrudge us the extra foot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

I don't anticipate any problems with the engine and tender, but I need to know whether or not the handrail knobs work before I offer these things for sale. They are awfully small.

Thanks and please post a link when it’s ready :) 

1 hour ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Thank you! For the paint-job I have in mind (futuristic Victorian) I think anything small and old-fashioned would do - the new Hattons or Hornby coaches, the Triang Clerestories, the Hornby 4-wheelers, the Ratio kits....

Your Silberling and Pullman suggestions would work for Corbs single, I think, but they'd be too long for my engine.

To my eyes, it really REALLY harks back to those glorious American coupes of the '30/early40s. For me, that would leave no option but have to go with the aluminium/chromed Airstream trailer to complete the image that conjures up! Once seen, I just can't unsee it!

1 hour ago, TangoOscarMike said:

And there you've touched on one of my pipe dreams. I think it would be fun to model a hypothetical Edwardian GWR, in which broad gauge survived and express locomotive development took advantage of it. And 32mm track would certainly be an option for this - I don't think Brunel would begrudge us the extra foot.

You certainly aren't wrong with the notion of that hypothetical broad gauge survival. There is something about broad gauge that just lends itself to the genre that little bit more. This rather grand broad gauge double decker doodle had me thinking about super-broad gauge, while console games such a Final Fantasy 7 served as the thinking behind how to do track. 20 odd years ago I always used to wonder what kind of train would run on that track anyway?!  The railway vehicles in the game footage were a meld of the genre and atompunk, but never quite satisfied me on either front. Something quick to cobble up I would think a rolling billiard hall for the masters to unwind within on the broad gauge would be daft enough and be so over the top as to be near perfect, but literally as simple as two coach bodies side by side in width with a third centrally for the plebs to be conveyed in relative discomfort; a sort of over wide, over tall clerestory with a grand Victorianesque locomotive up front...A 7mm Crampton modified for a 4mm driver and fireman would fit the bill almost as excessively methinks.

That rabbit hole becomes a sinkhole...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

nah, you need small 3 or 4 compartment coaches with a similar envelope and speed whiskers to make it go faster

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zunnan said:

To my eyes, it really REALLY harks back to those glorious American coupes of the '30/early40s. For me, that would leave no option but have to go with the aluminium/chromed Airstream trailer to complete the image that conjures up! Once seen, I just can't unsee it!

And now you've got me seeing it in a pink-and-chrome finish, like a steam-propelled diner!

15 hours ago, Zunnan said:

That rabbit hole becomes a sinkhole...

It does indeed. I already have a few sketches of double-decker coaches.....

I had this conversation with @Gibbo675 a while ago, and he pointed out that I share my pipe-dream with a nasty Austrian/German (a guy with a silly moustache who was responsible for a lot of deaths).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

But I'm sure that a determined modeller could reclaim the concept, and make a nice preposterous broad gauge railway (with cider) in the idyllic West Country....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

nah, you need small 3 or 4 compartment coaches with a similar envelope and speed whiskers to make it go faster

I've made a couple of 3D printed coach bodies for the Hornby 4-wheeler chassis, neither of them 100% satisfactory. And when I started thinking about steampunk engines, I also tried to make a Victorian-retro-futuristic coach body. It was going to have exaggerated tumblehome (very curved, barrel-like sides), elliptical windows and ornate beading.

I didn't get very far with this, but I might try again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/01/2021 at 15:46, TangoOscarMike said:

I've made a couple of 3D printed coach bodies for the Hornby 4-wheeler chassis, neither of them 100% satisfactory. And when I started thinking about steampunk engines, I also tried to make a Victorian-retro-futuristic coach body. It was going to have exaggerated tumblehome (very curved, barrel-like sides), elliptical windows and ornate beading.

I didn't get very far with this, but I might try again.

Yes, I am sure you will. Maybe it could also have a Jules Verne/H.G. Wells flavour to it.

• 2 months later...
On 16/01/2021 at 12:17, TangoOscarMike said:

And now you've got me seeing it in a pink-and-chrome finish, like a steam-propelled diner!

It does indeed. I already have a few sketches of double-decker coaches.....

I had this conversation with @Gibbo675 a while ago, and he pointed out that I share my pipe-dream with a nasty Austrian/German (a guy with a silly moustache who was responsible for a lot of deaths).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

But I'm sure that a determined modeller could reclaim the concept, and make a nice preposterous broad gauge railway (with cider) in the idyllic West Country....

Godwin's Law!

• Funny 1

Hornby seem determined to tout bizarre-thing-after-bizarre-thing under the hallowed name.

I'm with Melmerby: a return to using it for proper 0 gauge coarse-scale trains would be very welcome, although I do wonder whether, having ceded that market niche to others, they ought to do the decent thing and simply cede the name too.

• Agree 6

57 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I want to do the BRM review...

Hornby "Lego", now there's a thing....

All I want to know is, why is there a piece of apple pie secured to the side of the object?

And a second thing, what gauge is it?

A third comes to mind. Scale?

No one expects the RMweb Inquisition!!!

• Funny 2

27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hornby "Lego", now there's a thing....

All I want to know is, why is there a piece of apple pie secured to the side of the object?

And a second thing, what gauge is it?

A third comes to mind. Scale?

No one expects the RMweb Inquisition!!!

Similar thing to the Airfix "Lego" I expect.

That's been available for years. Got a handful for my nephew as a way of trying to get him interested in Airfix kits in future.

https://uk.airfix.com/shop/quick-build

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

"It's Lego, Jim, but not as we know it..."

https://uk.bassettlowke.co.uk/catalogue/brickpunk

12 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

I feel they could have been a bit more inventive than just ‘Lego’ but I suppose it is what it is. 

So this isn't actual Lego. No Lego branding on any of the blocks, nor packaging, so whatever brand they are using is a clear rip off of Lego. Something Lego has been dealing with over in China for the longest time, and has had a win few wins over the last few years, yet like a Hydra, kill one and two more pop up.

Looking at the product images, they are definitely using a knock off China "lego" company. And I mean, the moulds of stuff are almost exactly the same, especially the minifig accessories. The minifigs are also a key giveaway for being a knockoff, but close enough to call it lego. Even in their product images, some of the face printing is way off! Like bottom half of the face! That grey mask piece with the shoulder armor was introduced in the Lego Ninjago range in 2012.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1