Mk1 Met Cam Pullmans on the southern in the 1960s

mossdp

I happened to see some old railway photos belonging to a late model club member some time back - wish I knew what happened to them all! One of these was of either a rebuilt Merchant Navy or rebuilt West Country or Battle of Britain with a train of Mk1 Met Cam Pullmans presumably on the southern somewhere in the 1960s. I do not think the photo dated from the preservation era. The collection of photos were 50s or 60s black and white. I had not seen this before. Would it have likely to have been a one off or does anyone know if this was something that was more frequent? All other photos I have seen of southern Pullman trains had older Pullmans.

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2019 at 20:05, mossdp said:

I happened to see some old railway photos belonging to a late model club member some time back - wish I knew what happened to them all! One of these was of either a rebuilt Merchant Navy or rebuilt West Country or Battle of Britain with a train of Mk1 Met Cam Pullmans presumably on the southern somewhere in the 1960s. I do not think the photo dated from the preservation era. The collection of photos were 50s or 60s black and white. I had not seen this before. Would it have likely to have been a one off or does anyone know if this was something that was more frequent? All other photos I have seen of southern Pullman trains had older Pullmans.

The Mk1 Pullmans weren't introduced until 1961, so it can be no earlier.

Were they in umber and cream or blue and grey?

When the Mk1s were out of mainline service they were used extensively in a rake on steam charters, at first in blue and grey and then later umber and cream. For example see link and this.

27898637162_2cd42ad43b_h.jpgLaying a smokescreen. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

Many of the cars from this rake are still in use today.

Edited by stovepipe
Additional info

The Steam World Archive Series volume 2 Video/DVD 'Steaming back to the Southern' contains some footage taken at Basingstoke on Saturday 12th September 1964. This shows BB/WC 34037 Clovelly returning the 'Farnborough Flyer' to London. This was an air display special train organised by Alan Pegler and had been hauled in the down direction by Flying Scotsman. The narrator states that the train mainly consisted of Metro-Cam Pullman cars. Only four of the coaches can be seen in the footage; the first coach is a Pullman brake (i.e. older type) and the following three coaches are Metro-Cam 1960 types.

Ken

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ken 63388 said:

The Steam World Archive Series volume 2 Video/DVD 'Steaming back to the Southern' contains some footage taken at Basingstoke on Saturday 12th September 1964. This shows BB/WC 34037 Clovelly returning the 'Farnborough Flyer' to London. This was an air display special train organised by Alan Pegler and had been hauled in the down direction by Flying Scotsman. The narrator states that the train mainly consisted of Metro-Cam Pullman cars. Only four of the coaches can be seen in the footage; the first coach is a Pullman brake (i.e. older type) and the following three coaches are Metro-Cam 1960 types.

Ken

The video narrative is not quite correct if Six Bells Junction is to be believed. 

34037 took the train from Basingstoke to Farnborough and return. 4472 was the main train loco from Sheffield to Basingstoke and return. 

Thank you all for the pictures and responses. I think it was most likely the special train with 34037 as I think the coaches were probably umber and cream. Unless of course there were other instances of special workings with Met Cam Pullman coaches on the southern before preservation days....

With the name "Farnborough Flyer" as a clue, I was able to find two more images this time with 34037:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/22882564592

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/22260427502/

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 17:19, Ken 63388 said:

Ken

I think I may have written the script for that one. (CJL)