Tamper Servicing - 4mm Depot

Vanguard 5374

I’ve been playing with the idea of building a model of the On Track Plant depot at Rugby, where I have been working as a fitter. The site has quite a bit of varied operation, with several types of tampers, regulators, rail grinders, MMTs, cranes and locomotives all visiting the site.

I want to show the site as an active working depot, as close to reality as reasonably possible. Thankfully some items are available as kits and ready to run items, so this makes it easier to model some stock. I’ve settled on 4mm scale, but did consider modelling in 3.5mm scale due to the availability of some on track plant kits in the scale.

The first item of stock is a Coles Argus crane. One is used on the site and luckily Hornby produced one a few years ago in the Corgi range. So far I’ve stripped the model down, removed the majority of paint from the body and have taken several photographs of the real crane to produce the model as exact as possible.

Hopefully I’ll have more to show in a few days time, it’s going to be a slow project to get going but I’m hoping to make a start on the baseboards at the end of January.

• Like 3

Hi Vanguard,

I am part way through building a Coles crane and have various other cranes, I scratch built an N gauge tamper last year and can send you a drawing of it if you wish.

Good luck with your project.

DSCF0876.JPG.3209fead9e544ef59fbf855ac66f384d.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the offer on drawings, that’ll go nicely with my plans as I’ve started measuring the cab of an 08 to build a design, which can be replicated for various other tampers.

Photos of the Coles Argus so far - paint removed with wire brush, and I now plan of altering details to match the one in our depot. As you can see it’s not much to go on right now but hopefully I’ll have some further progress to show this weekend.

B6E9C27D-9D6B-4A0D-8724-BB217226AD70.jpeg

Hi Vanguard,

The tamper drawing I have is of a Plasser Theurer 07-16 type that I developed from a 2mm drawing in the Railway Modeller from September 1991! It is quite a basic drawing that shews the main structure, bogie centres and the like, I used photographs for the details

Just for the interest, here are two links to the rail mounted versions of the crane you have, there are drawings that you could scale to suit:

http://www.tonyonthemoon.co.uk/Coles-type-aenaes-(C)-rail-6T-1959.html

http://www.tonyonthemoon.co.uk/Coles-type-adonis-(C)-rail-6T-1956.html

Gibbo.

Ah I’m afraid I’m too modelling modern day operations and the 07s are now relegated to fond (and not so fond) memories in the depot, most machines are 08s and a few 09s are coming into service.

I’ve measured up the Coles crane today, and looking at the Corgi model there are a few areas that will need to built from scratch, namely below the body.

Theres a photo of the crane a few years ago on Flickr, it’s hard to get a decent photograph of it where it currently is.

Ex 55029 Rugby Colas Depot

https://flic.kr/p/cdDpo3

Edited by Vanguard 5374
Adding link
  • Like 3

Tonight’s progress on the Coles Crane - so far I’ve changed the base of the crane to better represent the example I am modelling, whilst some details will be out I am more than happy with it so far.

A plasticard base has been glued on, where the body is attached to by a friction fit. This is an ideal solution as it allows me to pose the crane around the layout if I wish to do so.

Livery is the next thing to tackle, however I will check the paint codes at work to see if I can get an aerosol match locally, for the orange at least. Will have to order some transfers to better represent how the crane looks now too.

42810E87-A1D0-4DEF-B6ED-1096AC75457C.jpeg

FC72FEAC-4CC2-4B65-B362-16D4A77EB073.jpeg

• Like 3

Thought I might as well get the paint in a rattle can to match official colours, RAL 2004 Pure Orange and RAL 1003 Signal Yellow are exact to the Colas fleet colours and will give me enough for the crane, a few locos (37, 47, 56) and even one each of a neverwazza, thatneverhappeneddidit and couldabeen I have planned. I'm grateful for the simple livery compared to some other companies!

Whilst I plan to build the first module of the site to represent the original part of the shed, originally three roads but later two, another module will be built to show the newer extension with two roads alongside the original two. I plan on having the layout showing an open front, as if the viewer is looking from the safe walkway inside the depot.

Next pay day is when I plan on building the baseboards, and then ordering the inspection pits to go in place. Wonder if Peco will sell a bulk buy of LK-156s? :mocking_mini:

Hi, great concept for a layout, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! Especially with the inspiration and details you can add by working on the real thing.

A small note, the orange and yellow colours look good for OTMs and Kirow cranes, but the locos should be a different shade, particular the yellow. It's noticeable at Westbury when tampers and locos are stabled alongside each other. Even allowing for fading, they're very different shades, the locos are more pastel end of the spectrum. Saying that, even the 70s are slightly different colours to the stuff painted in the UK

Hope this helps

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• 4 months later...

Probably long overdue but I’ve picked up on this project again due to one of the other fitters getting back into railway modelling. He’s even purchased a Colas 66 from eBay so it’s made me want to do some more work.

I plan on ordering the baseboards for this in a few months time but for now, I am doing a few scenic parts to make the layout complete. This is a conversion of the Matchbox News Van into a reasonable 1/76 Ford Transit. Will be painted and given decals to represent one of the depot vans.

I’m currently working on some of our compact Tampers, and have already started making measurements for a model or two...

069452E4-514A-4BA7-B9E6-B79A4C22692F.jpeg

FC930131-D8C7-45B9-92BA-12E4EC821507.jpeg

09011FE2-2A22-49F5-BA7C-95E6916AE82A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Slowly getting back into the swing of things, and whilst I’ve yet to build a tamper (collecting drawings, measurements and photographs for almost all of the variant when able to do so) I am modelling a few locomotives to use and display. The first loco will be finished as 37421, and is a respray of a Lima model. Few details will be added to bring it to modern specifications, however I’ve seen Class 37s in our depot occasionally so it makes sense to model one.

1E64B09B-7CEF-471F-8FEC-C320B8351EB8.jpeg

253E9C15-3CA7-4843-B23A-2797E8F0D0B8.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’ve grown fond of the Class 70 locomotives in our fleet, however current budget won’t stretch for one right now so I want to run something similar. I purchased a Class 58 and spare body shells so a plausible Colas Rail liveried 58007, repatriated from France, will be used from time to time. 

After doing this, I’ve drawn up plans to model a few more Colas neverwazzas. As long as they are plausible to me, I am more than happy with how they look.

58F5DACD-DDDD-4E1D-801B-25A10F47CD1B.jpeg

73FD3F73-F141-4ACF-9EDF-6873A2288505.jpeg

Both locos together, with more planned. I am currently toying with a Lima Mk2 carriage with plans for a Colas Rail livery for it. After these are done I think it’s only fair to model a Tamper, I think I’ll be going down the compact route and modelling 73913, which is currently at the depot making it far easier to model it from photographs and measurements.

A74D2580-15FD-4F04-9B5C-6C6050981717.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Not much to report on recently, still progressing slowly with the body shell and plan to do some CAD work later this week as I have a few days off. Plan on ordering the baseboards soon and have been buying a few bits like Bachmann's Lifting Jacks (which need detailing!) to get the ball rolling.

08 compact main body renderr.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/01/2020 at 16:49, Vanguard 5374 said:

Ah I’m afraid I’m too modelling modern day operations and the 07s are now relegated to fond (and not so fond) memories in the depot, most machines are 08s and a few 09s are coming into service.

I’ve measured up the Coles crane today, and looking at the Corgi model there are a few areas that will need to built from scratch, namely below the body.

Theres a photo of the crane a few years ago on Flickr, it’s hard to get a decent photograph of it where it currently is.

Ex 55029 Rugby Colas Depot

https://flic.kr/p/cdDpo3

Decent proper workplace - good concept for detailing with all the right bits about.

Not so sure about the 58  but if it works for you a slice of modellers licence does OK I suppose :D

Ian 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2020 at 06:03, Vanguard 5374 said:

Little more progress before work, hope to get some more measurements today in order to make this 100% to scale. Could just buy some HO scale tampers and call it a day but they never look right to me.

tamperprogress.png

Yes - we're overdue a decent set of Units - there is one in kit form knocking about  - seen in Balfour livery on the forum somewhere.

Ian

On 18/10/2020 at 17:55, Crisis Rail said:

Decent proper workplace - good concept for detailing with all the right bits about.

Not so sure about the 58  but if it works for you a slice of modellers licence does OK I suppose :D

Ian 

I'll be honest I have seen a few depots modelled but some of the finer details are missing, guess it's hard to nail everything.

Yes the 58 is an oddball but it's not completely out of the question to being a few back from France. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for them :D

Bluebell Railway has a state of the art visitor in the form of Balfour Beatty Plasser Tamper, DR 73949, on shake down and training runs.

Seen today departing Horsted Keynes for Sheffield Park under Pilot working. 

984E1214-89BF-44C7-8661-1FBD8BAEC06E.jpeg.8e9734346e5361fa6197b1caf98b7651.jpeg

And later stabled in New Road Siding in Horsted Keynes Down Yard. 

A363D6B7-CF09-465E-BF21-A5E2331F8620.jpeg.40e29689c47b5de19697ed9e1d3d62a3.jpeg788FD6A6-479C-42C0-8E25-051EBC919263.jpeg.4f2cc4c09fb3f197d85bd0ebd03fdb67.jpeg

Edited by Grizz
Auto correct

• 1 year later...

Purchased a Oxford Diecast Transit from Tony’s Trains, transfers on sides and some detailing to do. Guess I’ll have to make a start on building the diorama given I’m doing some modelling again.

C750A3FC-6BD3-4F65-BE08-1C96FC8E504F.thumb.jpeg.8c41184f51de2412ce7ae6dc85b4e713.jpeg

4C25CA1F-7FA7-4AF5-B9D4-A39E22642E00.thumb.jpeg.5ab06b5efb7fc66ea4f9991a336fc8f0.jpeg

One of the Depot Fitters vans, we have a welding van too but it’s different and I plan on making it using the Matchbox Transit.

E29B1FE5-A41C-435A-B98E-867E58F8874D.thumb.jpeg.75cf0ede6c9ce38455a80811b089265b.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After a very long time I am doing models for this layout which will hopefully be built this year. Plasser USP5000C 77327 is being slowly measured up in order to make a CAD model for printing. I've yet to see a OO model of this type so will be pleasing to get it built. I'm struggling to find a commercial source of bogies with 9.5mm wheels and a 20mm wheelbase so it may end up using the mechanism from a Bachmann 07 Tamper.

Work on the 08-12 (73913) shown previously is coming along too, with an aim of getting one printed and built this spring.

77327 full size not CAD model for printing.png

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1