North-Eastern 1980s Pacer Replacement 116s, 118s and 119s: a conversion project

Following some of the inspiring DMU conversion and tinkering threads on here has finally given me the courage to have a go at my own.

I'm modelling the late 1980s (focusing on between 1986 and 1988), when loco-hauled Mk1/Mk2 stock, peaks, 37s, 47s, 31s, first generation DMUs, pacers, sprinters, class 03s and the ubiquitous class 101s could all be seen around North-Eastern England. 

I'm lucky enough that I could see the Heritage Line (Darlington to Bishop Auckland) during that period, where my secondary school’s geography classroom was a prime viewing spot (I failed my geography GCSE for some reason!)  The line was, at the time, almost 100% served by class 101s and, as time passed, 143s.  One day, a 101 with a yellow stripe denoting a first class compartment suddenly appeared on the line (I naively thought they were somehow upgrading the line!)  Then all of a sudden, all manner of other weird and wonderful first generation DMUs, mostly in hybrid formation, started running by the school, none of which I’d ever seen before in the North-East.  All of these trains turned out, of course, to be the pacer replacements.

So, back to the modern day, there’s some very satisfying modelling potential for the 1986-88 time period.  A bit of research (mainly on railcar.co.uk) confirms that the aforementioned “weird and wonderful" sets were combinations of classes 116, 118 and 119 (with 101 cars thrown in here and there).  These DMUs mostly ran in late 1987, mere months before being shipped off to perish at Vic Berry’s.  As such, they were often in very poor condition, yet full of character.  First, the evidence that these vehicles did indeed make their way to the North East (all images coutresy of railcar.co.uk):

Class 116 no. 53909 at Newcastle, September 1987:

image.png.abf34b78cf41d0ab0eee6cdab24c8fe8.png

Class 118 no. 51323, also at Newcastle, January 1988

image.png.738320f0bdfda3907b8a055659e7e8e3.png

Class 119 no. 51102 at Newcastle, September 1987:

image.png.5814d65c8d15e04aabc628ab9c292765.png

And finally, a 119/101 combination at Darlington, November 1987:
image.png.cb1869787596dec48ad348d9080f0417.png

So, with the scene set, onto the models (next post...)

Edited by Riseburn Simon
Corrected spelling mistakes
  • Like 7

I managed to pick up a few Lima 117s in various conditions, and it is mainly they that shall feel the business end of my Swann-Morton!

So, a look at the existing stock:

I know class 119 vehicle 51102 was seen with class 116 vehicle 53856.  For conceptual purposes, I paired up this 117 with an old Mk.1 coach to take a quick look at the possibilities (using a boatload of imagination, of course!)

IMG_20191231_105601.jpg.bc5e312f9da9bc512de3fdb6cc27d8df.jpg

The 117 lists over to one side, as you can see (not a problem, as I'll be replacing the drive unit with a better alternative once I complete the cosmetic changes).

The same conceptual pose seen from above (the layout is also work in progress, as you can see - so much to do!  The old Dapol waiting room was a cheap buy and needs a proper repaint in due course!)

IMG_20191231_105637.jpg.ff1bc41fdb8ccc1748e3fd6b377bf364.jpg

And from the back:

IMG_20191231_105651.jpg.c6068bed56c4dc8cb155112a5974f7e7.jpg

The D C Kits cabs arrived yesterday, so the next stage was to play with them as part of the conceptual groundwork (will be shown in the next post...)

• Like 1

So here are the DC kits cabs, sold as 108/119/122.  They arrived quickly and well-packacked; I'm very impressed. 

However, I'm struggling to see any differences in shape between these and 116 cabs.  Other than light layouts, which are easily tweaked, are the any differences in cab shape, headcode/destination box etc. that I need to be aware of?

IMG_20191231_115455.jpg.81df94fc12cab8fc36d117e104e31242.jpg

Next question: - how to drill out the destination boxes to glaze and possibly light them?  As can be seen from my first post, none of the DMUs had any destination blinds in them (as they were allocated to Heaton at short notice when the Pacers failed), so it will be a simple case of putting in clear plastic  (even though I hate glazing, as I almost always manage to get a tiny spot of glue on the "glass"!)  There is a nice hole in the back of each piece (see below) that might be handy as a pilot hole (although I think I'll drill with a pin vice from the front just to be safe).

1409075790_Backshowingpossiblepilotholes.jpg.c88e9c6ea564137f4fb841e473cc700a.jpg

So, after all the research and parting with a few quid, the first really fun part:

IMG_20191231_105818.jpg.feb08b617e5bf43942635cdd31a8d721.jpg

As the pic above shows, now it's starting to look at least a bit like class 119!  I'm going to get the body overlays from Silver Fox, but I think even at this stage it's taking shape, and the picture below shows the "hybrid DMU" concept off quite nicely:

image.png.a8ba11374b6820cd18a54c311bf1d01b.png

• Like 1

Now for the mock-up of the other car.  The Lima 117 headcode box is wrong even for a 117, so it's going!  Taping this cab on to initially get the idea, is this doable (after a lot of cutting and filing) as a 116?

IMG_20191231_110101.jpg.e77700d9a5daf9e39cfa25e2936b529f.jpg

Anyway, that's the progress so far.  All comments, advice and pointers gratefully received, as I'm new to this!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I do like a good cut and shut project!, good luck with this.

I may be wrong but I thought Chris Leigh did roofs to convert a 117 to a 116 / 121 to a 122, no idea if they are still available. 

Before going too far with the 119 I would get all the cutting/dismantling out of the way otherwise you risk damaging the cab ends. I would get hold of your side overlays so you know how much cutting needs to be done to remove the coach windows, also roof vents will need removing as these will be wrong.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 09:43, 37114 said:

I do like a good cut and shut project!, good luck with this.

I may be wrong but I thought Chris Leigh did roofs to convert a 117 to a 116 / 121 to a 122, no idea if they are still available. 

Before going too far with the 119 I would get all the cutting/dismantling out of the way otherwise you risk damaging the cab ends. I would get hold of your side overlays so you know how much cutting needs to be done to remove the coach windows, also roof vents will need removing as these will be wrong.

Thanks.  It's a lot more absorbing that I thought it would be, and it's always nice to reminisce about days gone by - it's amazing how many memories keep coming back from the late 80s!  I'm sure part of the beauty of the hobby for me is I'm subconsciously turning the clock back every time I work on these retro projects.

I'll have a look for those roofs and see if I can either see what Chris did or copy what he did.

Thanks also for the advice on the "measure and fit everything before cutting".  Very good point.  I've now ordered the 119 body overlays for that reason.  I've never cut into Lima models before, but I've heard that the plastic isn't the most fun to work with.  I'll soon find out!

I'll post the next update soon after the 119 sides arrive.

• RMweb Gold

There was also at least one class 120 , I was a secondman at the time and we had a job in the summer where we secondmanned a unit to whitby had all afternoon down there and came back with the school train. I remember the driver letting me do all the driving that week and we had a 120 a few days of the week,  didn't record the numbers unfortunately 

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Riseburn Simon said:

Thanks.  It's a lot more absorbing that I thought it would be, and it's always nice to reminisce about days gone by - it's amazing how many memories keep coming back from the late 80s!  I'm sure part of the beauty of the hobby for me is I'm subconsciously turning the clock back every time I work on these retro projects.

I'll have a look for those roofs and see if I can either see what Chris did or copy what he did.

Thanks also for the advice on the "measure and fit everything before cutting".  Very good point.  I've now ordered the 119 body overlays for that reason.  I've never cut into Lima models before, but I've heard that the plastic isn't the most fun to work with.  I'll soon find out!

I'll post the next update soon after the 119 sides arrive.

Lima plastic can be brittle depending on the age of it, especially the glazing. Use a sharp knife, do lots of passes of the knife rather than trying to  cut it in 2 or 3. Personal choice but I prefer using a knife rather than a cutting disc in a mini drill which I know others use.

• Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, russ p said:

There was also at least one class 120 , I was a secondman at the time and we had a job in the summer where we secondmanned a unit to whitby had all afternoon down there and came back with the school train. I remember the driver letting me do all the driving that week and we had a 120 a few days of the week,  didn't record the numbers unfortunately 

I never knew that.  That opens up even more modelling options then! 

I know the sprinters pushed the 120s off a few routes from 1986 or so onwards, so it would make sense for the 120s to be re-allocated as pacer replacements elsewhere; the timeframes match almost seamlessly.  I don't remember ever seeing one though; but they could have run in hyrbid, as they had the same coupling type as all the others I listed.  In fact, after a quick search, I've seen just such a combination at Leeds on railcar.co.uk (in this case a 120+116):

image.png.9fbbc7ffb7875ca079e7a674cf7e61d7.png

As for the North East, the only image I've found so far is this sorry looking 120 vehicle at Thornaby in 1989, listed as "unknown number":

image.png.a62e5e6f471b539a39a53c8e6a054fb7.png

So, putting together your memories and the few picture I've found, it sounds like another DMU to add to the 'cut and shut' list!

Can you remember if it was a full 120 set or a hybrid?

Edited by Riseburn Simon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 37114 said:

Lima plastic can be brittle depending on the age of it, especially the glazing. Use a sharp knife, do lots of passes of the knife rather than trying to  cut it in 2 or 3. Personal choice but I prefer using a knife rather than a cutting disc in a mini drill which I know others use.

I think the knife is the safer option.  That, and a lot of patience!  I've previously melted or distorted a few plastic bits and bobs using power tools when I haven't noticed things getting hot!

As for the glazing, I'm going to flushglaze the suburban sets as soon as I can find a few suitable window packs, as I'll be running these next to my Bachmann 101s and 108s, which make the Lima DMUs look very dated.  I also eventually want to fit interior, head and tail lights, so the Lima glazing moulding will probably get in the way of all that.  I think I have a long way to go before that stage though!  But I'm planning ahead for that.  So I'll probably just remove the glazing right away and be done with it.  Even more so now you've confirmed, as others have, that it's less than easy to work with.

The only problem is the South Eastern Finecast flushglaze packs seems to be out of stock everywhere I look, even Peter's Spares.  I'll find some eventually!

11 hours ago, 37114 said:

I'd be inclined to use a razor saw; easier to do a square cut (especially if you use a mitre-box) and thus reduce filler-usage.

The arrival of the 2nd generation MUs happened just as we were about to leave the NE; you never knew what stock you'd find. There was even a train of loco-hauled stock, which worked from Berwick to Hexham; 47 +3, IIRC

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Riseburn Simon said:

I never knew that.  That opens up even more modelling options then! 

I know the sprinters pushed the 120s off a few routes from 1986 or so onwards, so it would make sense for the 120s to be re-allocated as pacer replacements elsewhere; the timeframes match almost seamlessly.  I don't remember ever seeing one though; but they could have run in hyrbid, as they had the same coupling type as all the others I listed.  In fact, after a quick search, I've seen just such a combination at Leeds on railcar.co.uk (in this case a 120+116):

image.png.9fbbc7ffb7875ca079e7a674cf7e61d7.png

As for the North East, the only image I've found so far is this sorry looking 120 vehicle at Thornaby in 1989, listed as "unknown number":

image.png.a62e5e6f471b539a39a53c8e6a054fb7.png

So, putting together your memories and the few picture I've found, it sounds like another DMU to add to the 'cut and shut' list!

Can you remember if it was a full 120 set or a hybrid?

I can't remember Simon,  we had all sorts of vehicles then but I'm sure we had at least one full set.

The DMU at thornaby was a 119 , I used some rubber off the gangway off that to make mud flaps for a rallycar 

2 hours ago, Riseburn Simon said:

The only problem is the South Eastern Finecast flushglaze packs seems to be out of stock everywhere I look, even Peter's Spares. 

I will have a look in the spares box to see if I have any but I think I got rid of my spares as it was no use to me once I sold all my 117s.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

Well, the year's flying by and I've made precisely 0 progress since my last post!  I think, with the lockdown, there's always tomorrow and then another tomorrow!

I'm going to try to get back on this Pacer replacement DMU project over the next week.  The problem is knowing what to do next, and I'll try to think back to what my sequence of actions was going to be.

More pics to come once I've made some progress!

• 1 month later...

Some more progress.  I thought I'd start with an "easy" task by converting my Lima 117 DMBS to the DMS using the Silver Fox kit. 

The seating was easy enough to do, but I messed up the body by cutting too close to the roof, so I've cut the riveted strip away, which leaves a gap between the Silver Fox resin cast and the roof. 

So it's either scrap the body and start again or fill the gaps in and try to make it good.  I'm tempted to do the fill/repair job just for the experience.  Then if I do start again, I can bring that experience into the next attempt.  It could always work out well.  We'll see! 

There's always the option of the Chris Leigh roof, as I'm going to be converting this unit to a 116 or 118 anyway that 37114 mentioned.  Anyway, here's the progress!  For now, I've attached the new body parts with a bit of masking tape while I think it over.

IMG_20200807_080938.jpg

IMG_20200807_080930.jpg

Edited by Riseburn Simon

I'm lucky enough that I could see the Heritage Line (Darlington to Bishop Auckland) during that period, where my secondary school’s geography classroom was a prime viewing spot (I failed my geography GCSE for some reason!) 

Hi, you didn’t happen to go to Longfield comp did you? My form room for the 5 years I attended was a Geography room at the top of the tower block, you could see the ECML from the front windows and the Bishop line to the side! 

Ps -following with interest!

-Andy

On 08/08/2020 at 13:30, 43110andyb said:

I'm lucky enough that I could see the Heritage Line (Darlington to Bishop Auckland) during that period, where my secondary school’s geography classroom was a prime viewing spot (I failed my geography GCSE for some reason!) 

Hi, you didn’t happen to go to Longfield comp did you? My form room for the 5 years I attended was a Geography room at the top of the tower block, you could see the ECML from the front windows and the Bishop line to the side! 

Ps -following with interest!

-Andy

Hi Andy,

No I went to school in Greenfield comp in Aycliffe, so it was local railway traffic only.  I dread to think what my exam results would have been like if I could have seen the ECML!

• Funny 1