Privett Green

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year, Andy. 

This looks like fun. Nice to see a mention for Mac Pyrke..Loved the Berrow branch.............Can't beat a bit of Somerset and Dorset but I suspect s tad more Sarf Westun going on here....

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Happy New Year, Andy. 

This looks like fun. Nice to see a mention for Mac Pyrke..Loved the Berrow branch.............Can't beat a bit of Somerset and Dorset but I suspect s tad more Sarf Westun going on here....

Rob. 

Thanks Rob, Yes although the Stock will be more BR / Southern, it's the wonderful atmosphere that Mac, John Flann, Barry Norman and people like yourself convey in your Layouts that will be the inspiration for this project.

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Here we go again. Love a bit of CJF myself.

Regards Lez.

Haha, Yes as you say Lez, here we go again, and with loads of ideas, and some different ways to tackle things, it should be fun, fun, FUN.:P

So, Where is Privett Green?

Well the Station of Privett is / was on the Meon Valley Line from Alton through to Fareham in Hampshire. It ran from a junction just to the West of Alton Station, with the more commonly known Mid Hants / Watercress Line, (Now in Preservation) heading towards Winchester, the Meon Valley Line headed almost parallel to it, but to the South, passing through Tisted, Privett, West Meon, Droxford, Wickham and into the North of Fareham to join the Line towards Portsmouth / Brighton etc, and back towards Southampton, Eastleigh Salisbury etc in a Westerly direction.

Droxford is the most notable Station on the Line, having been the Place where the then Prime Minister Winston Churchill had his Train parked up for a meeting with President Eisenhower, and they invited President DE Gaulle of France to inform him of the D Day plan, just a few days before the planned assault onto  the Normandy Beaches. De Gaulle was not happy that he had not been consulted earlier, and never trusted Britain or America again, even after the War was won as a result of the Landings.

1520718417_MeonValeyLine.jpg.5169342820b30277876656788ea288c6.jpg

I have assumed that Privett Green is to the South West of Privett, leaving the Meon Valley Line at West Meon, and had a large Farmers Market and so the Hamlett grew into a prosperous area. There was also a large local Cement Works that needed Rail served transport which uses Privett Green Station for it's reversal, and a similar situation with a Fuel Depot that was Rail served.. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

All you need is a good Thump(er)........... Happy new year to you Andy hope now you get moved down ere as soon as.

Keith

Hi Keith, and thanks very much,

The stock so far consists of;

One Thumper.

IMG_0385.JPG.f55fd1332e216dbcd442d67739d43448.JPG

A 33,

DSCF4032.JPG.934451d477da153d93409d1aae53e3fe.JPG

An S15,

IMG_0406.JPG.25b4b3cb9d795ddd81b48affa2c92316.JPG

An N Class, 

DSCF4041.JPG.ae16f149ff4ba04a9fdce2ef096b0068.JPG

And an M7

M7.jpg.5f38e43ff3f37b23aa1416563a2189e2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DanielB said:

It has begun.

:D

Looking forward to seeing this develop. :)

Thanks Daniel, there will be a coupe of surprises to come I'm sure, but basically it's a BLT with the accent on Scenics etc.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Work actually started on PG last Tuesday / Christmas Eve when I was TOLD to go into the Shed out of the way for a while.

Luckilly for me, my Timber Merchants were open on the Monday morning, so I was able to collect what I needed as they don't re  open for a few days yet.

The three Baseboards were made in my normal fashion of 9mm Ply top, and 71mm x 13mm timber side, especially cut to be flat and strait.

This was the position on Christmas Eve, with the Platform cut from a scrap bit of 18mm MDF  as well.

IMG_0605.JPG.acac3ab6051474671b5c7c9d1f47f2f7.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG.f223dba46d319655dd20825ea219fe97.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG.abef80a47951ed0e782b19c0d4798cc8.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Great to see another Southern layout appear on RM Web. Looks to be an interesting track plan in a relatively small space. Will be watching with interest.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Work actually started on PG last Tuesday / Christmas Eve when I was TOLD to go into the Shed out of the way for a while.

Luckilly for me, my Timber Merchants were open on the Monday morning, so I was able to collect what I needed as they don't re  open for a few days yet.

The three Baseboards were made in my normal fashion of 9mm Ply top, and 71mm x 13mm timber side, especially cut to be flat and strait.

This was the position on Christmas Eve, with the Platform cut from a scrap bit of 18mm MDF  as well.

IMG_0605.JPG.acac3ab6051474671b5c7c9d1f47f2f7.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG.f223dba46d319655dd20825ea219fe97.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG.abef80a47951ed0e782b19c0d4798cc8.JPG

Great start!

In some of the last photos of Argyll Street, you could see another board with a platform on it. I thought it might be an extension, but no it is another complete layout!

By the way I have started on the copy of Argyll Street version 1. The fact you completed version 4 just as I was cutting the wood doesn’t surprise me! You will probably complete this one as well before I start the scenic work!

Edited by muddy water
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Great start!

In some of the last photos of Argyll Street, you could see another board with a platform on it. I thought it might be an extension, but no it is another complete layout!

By the way I have started on the copy of Argyll Street version 1. The fact you completed version 4 just as I was cutting the wood doesn’t surprise me! You will probably complete this one as well before I start the scenic work!

That sounds like a great idea and a good start, all the very best mate.

1 hour ago, DanielB said:

How are you going to be able to get to your O scale layout? Is the fiddle yard here removeable?

Yes it's just a pair of over centre latches, and it's located on a couple of Dowels, it will be down in a minute at most.

SMS can still be run, as all the points are worked from the Control Panel and I never touch the Locos etc unless I'm running Wagons, or their in the Fiddle Yard, so not a problem Dan.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Ah, Bodger's at it again and a return to 4mm scale and some steam, even if it is Suvern. Happy New Modelling Year, Andy.

Thanks Jonathan, Yes the Bodgit has returned to another 4mm Project, with more surprises to come.

• Like 1