Privett Green

Andrew P

10 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It's coming on a real treat Andy.

Regards lez.

Thanks Lez, I always feel that once the Ballasting's done it starts to look like a proper Model, now need to sort out the Electrics, after some more cleaning up and testing next week.

• Like 1

I posted this yesterday in How Realistic are your models, of Pencarne, and thought I would repeat it here, as this is what I'm aiming for with the next project down Souf, either as a BLT or as a Roundy.

Looking across the Goods Yard in the last days of Steam in the West Country we see N Class, 31404 pulling forward to take on water at Pencarne on the 27th April 1965. In the background can be seen St Andrews Church at the top of Prospect Hill with the Vicarage to the left. Below the Vicarage in Meadow Lane is the Wheatsheaf Pub, and just to the right on the Cross Road is the Village Store and Post Office.

Pencarne..jpg.4eba1331a8fc7b2fa500e55360a160e5.jpg

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Andy,

That's the spirit!

It would look great and I hope you can achieve your ambition, preferably of a roundy so you can sit back with a cuppa and watch something trundling around. Sounds ideal to me!

Cheers mate,

John.

Yes John, A Southern version of something like Stoke Courtney on here.:good:

• Like 1

Just now, woodenhead said:

Amazing, train arrived with a Black Motor at the front and it magically transformed into an S15 by the time it had shunted the train :lol:

Whoops.:mocking_mini: Yes missed a few pics there, well spotted young man.:good:

Lets put that right.

DSCF4110.JPG.8496d41f24b3740ad39893055c3f8a7a.JPG

DSCF4112.JPG.0aba7887e8cf374e7324eb834c9056e7.JPG

DSCF4117.JPG.5a4bd7097ee444b40339bee871f58f0e.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Just one question Andy,

Knowing how much you like shunting freight wagons about, and not wishing to encourage you lay any more track(!), is that track plan going to occupy you enough on the shunting side?  I hadn't thought about it before, but just thinking through the moves with the latest batch of pictures, I thought I'd query it.  Your layout of course, so as long as your happy with it :)

Rich

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Just one question Andy,

Knowing how much you like shunting freight wagons about, and not wishing to encourage you lay any more track(!), is that track plan going to occupy you enough on the shunting side?  I hadn't thought about it before, but just thinking through the moves with the latest batch of pictures, I thought I'd query it.  Your layout of course, so as long as your happy with it :)

Rich

Thanks Rich, It's difficult with a Country BLT, it has to look Rural, it has to feel Rural, and therefore I found it difficult to justify more Sidings. I did consider a Wood Yard, but again it just seemed like all Points again.

I have the Goods Yard Loading Siding, the Coal Siding and the Farmers Market Siding, then I also have the Head Shunt, but running yesterday and this morning with 4 Wagons coming in, sorting, collecting the Fruit Van from the Farmers Market Siding, putting the Brake Van on the correct end and trundling off again took about 35 to 40 minutes, So intersperse that with the Thumper arriving and departing the Bay and that would seem busy enough for now.

Originally, I had another board cut, 5ft 6 inches X 18 inches to go where the Fiddle Yard board is, and there were thoughts of a Berrow Style second Terminus in front of the Fiddle Yard, but, ''A'' it was to cumbersome, and ''B'' it made it all looked contrived and Train Set ish, (PLEASE, No offence meant to anyone who has done this) it was just not what I wanted on this project.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Regarding sidings, a classic case of less is more, Andy. My layout which is a copy of the original only has 4 sidings in the main goods yard for a reasonably sized market town. 

That backscene is quite amazing, Andy.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Rich, It's difficult with a Country BLT, it has to look Rural, it has to feel Rural, and therefore I found it difficult to justify more Sidings. I did consider a Wood Yard, but again it just seemed like all Points again.

I have the Goods Yard Loading Siding, the Coal Siding and the Farmers Market Siding, then I also have the Head Shunt, but running yesterday and this morning with 4 Wagons coming in, sorting, collecting the Fruit Van from the Farmers Market Siding, putting the Brake Van on the correct end and trundling off again took about 35 to 40 minutes, So intersperse that with the Thumper arriving and departing the Bay and that would seem busy enough for now.

Originally, I had another board cut, 5ft 6 inches X 18 inches to go where the Fiddle Yard board is, and there were thoughts of a Berrow Style second Terminus in front of the Fiddle Yard, but, ''A'' it was to cumbersome, and ''B'' it made it all looked contrived and Train Set ish, (PLEASE, No offence meant to anyone who has done this) it was just not what I wanted on this project.

Totally agree with your thoughts (although it doesn't really matter if I didn't!!) Just thought id throw that out there.

As for your back scene - oh wow.  Those trees look almost 3D!  Your artistic skill is superb :) The painting of Bala Lake that you did hangs proudly in my parents lounge and I look at it every time I go in there!!  Now what were your commission rates.... :P

Truly stunning mate, very impressed.  What have you used for the back scene, something like flexible 1 ply or foam board?

Rich

17 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Regarding sidings, a classic case of less is more, Andy. My layout which is a copy of the original only has 4 sidings in the main goods yard for a reasonably sized market town. 

That backscene is quite amazing, Andy.

13 minutes ago, Phaeton said:

It is isn't it 

1 minute ago, MarshLane said:

Totally agree with your thoughts (although it doesn't really matter if I didn't!!) Just thought id throw that out there.

As for your back scene - oh wow.  Those trees look almost 3D!  Your artistic skill is superb :) The painting of Bala Lake that you did hangs proudly in my parents lounge and I look at it every time I go in there!!  Now what were your commission rates.... :P

Truly stunning mate, very impressed.  What have you used for the back scene, something like flexible 1 ply or foam board?

Rich

Cheers Guys, The backscene board is White Faced 3mm MDF, and then a light, NO VERY LIGHT, dusting of Ford Olympic Blue, and have some White Primer to hand in case of errors.

• Like 2

When did you start this again Andy? Your rate of progress is making amazing and that backscene... wow.

Haven't a clue where to start with mine. Hell, Rylstone is still three bare boards with a run of cork underlay and a traverser frame; why am I worrying about the backscene?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

When did you start this again Andy? Your rate of progress is making amazing and that backscene... wow.

Haven't a clue where to start with mine. Hell, Rylstone is still three bare boards with a run of cork underlay and a traverser frame; why am I worrying about the backscene?

It's easier if your retired, and EVEN EASIER if your Wife etc, does NOT give you a list of DIY Jobs to do. 

''A'' My Wife knows I hate DIY, and

''B'' My Wife knows I'm rubbish at DIY.

So, we have a compromise, she doesn't ask, and I don't have to refuse, haha.:good:

I also try to pre plan each day, ready for the next.

Lastly, I usually only go out into TOPS in the mornings from about 9.30 to 11ish .coffee time, and 11.30 to about 13.30, so only a few hours about 4 or 5 days a week.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

It's easier if your retired, and EVEN EASIER if your Wife etc, does NOT give you a list of DIY Jobs to do. 

''A'' My Wife knows I hate DIY, and

''B'' My Wife knows I'm rubbish at DIY.

So, we have a compromise, she doesn't ask, and I don't have to refuse, haha.:good:

Ah. I think I’ve spotted the problem:

A) not retired

B) I quite like DIY and my wife knows it.

I disagree with your B. I’ve read a few of your threads and if there are any bodges you hide them remarkably well under pure craftsmanship.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Ah. I think I’ve spotted the problem:

A) not retired

B) I quite like DIY and my wife knows it.

I disagree with your B. I’ve read a few of your threads and if there are any bodges you hide them remarkably well under pure craftsmanship.

My nick name is Bodgit.:o

Don't be fooled, haha.:D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

That backscene looks superb, the trees are fantastic, they have a real depth about them. I'd love to be able to paint like that. Well done :)

3 hours ago, Blackbuck said:

Those backscenes to mirror what has already been said look fantastic.

Thanks you both very much, I will need to take some new pics soon and get up to date.

Cheers again Guys.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1