Privett Green

Andrew P

Just a little job this morning whilst waiting for the 13 minute Video to up load on to You Tube, it's been on a slow cooker since 07.45 this morning, and that is after I have shrunk the file size from 475 MB to 272MB using Handbrake.

Anyway, I've decided to put the Farmers Store at the back and keep the Coal at the front of the Layout for a better visual appearance, AKA John Flann.

I bought the Ratio Provender Store part built from E-Bay, but decided it looked better on a loading Dock rather than it's legs.

I still have to work out whether to put the Lane to it along behind the Platform, or just coming in through a gate in the backscene.

IMG_0778.JPG.609f282164ed3ea1ad80d998787ad586.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG.f5a88e42baa822dcbde345807cdd20bf.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG.4abb206d0b6419c8bbc5595e7b3bfbdc.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG.def2b0888b95bf38e9a59215471fcf22.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG.ea8edc2513fde67f68161c2d01064b6c.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I still have to work out whether to put the Lane to it along behind the Platform, or just coming in through a gate in the backscene.

IMG_0778.JPG.609f282164ed3ea1ad80d998787ad586.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG.f5a88e42baa822dcbde345807cdd20bf.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG.4abb206d0b6419c8bbc5595e7b3bfbdc.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG.def2b0888b95bf38e9a59215471fcf22.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG.ea8edc2513fde67f68161c2d01064b6c.JPG

The platform cannot have been in use concurrently with the provendor store as there’s not enough space, so perhaps along the platform trackbed makes sense - would the railway have created a new access just for that when the provendor store platform and track were installed after the platform track was lifted?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The platform cannot have been in use concurrently with the provendor store as there’s not enough space, so perhaps along the platform trackbed makes sense - would the railway have created a new access just for that when the provendor store platform and track were installed after the platform track was lifted?

Forget the lifted Track and Ballast behind the Platform, that will be covered as though it never happened and was a mistake in my Planning.

The Lane behind the Platform would be just a part of the Railway Land between the Field and the Station area forming an access Road to the Farmers Private Siding and Store.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The Lane behind the Platform would be just a part of the Railway Land between the Field and the Station area forming an access Road to the Farmers Private Siding and Store.

It’s your railway...so please feel free to ignore what I say...but you’re always so good at recreating reality...

My question in terms of being prototypical, is if there was no track before, why would a farmer’s siding have been built down there if the only access was from the other end of the station? Wouldn’t the platform have had fence and the siding would be behind that, with the building closer to the main road access?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It’s your railway...so please feel free to ignore what I say...but you’re always so good at recreating reality...

My question in terms of being prototypical, is if there was no track before, why would a farmer’s siding have been built down there if the only access was from the other end of the station? Wouldn’t the platform have had fence and the siding would be behind that, with the building closer to the main road access?

Yes your probably right, but at  Medstead and Four Marks Station The Goods Shed was the other side of the Road. this Track Plan from an R M Web members Layout is spot on, I've been there and seen the remnants of it.

post-33498-0-33962100-1546174608.jpg.17c330984dd35f93dc237daf08ad6496.jpg

439314745_StarzinaZRailwaysMidHantsMedsteadStationmapearly1900s.jpg.fce774a3db197ac97680e3d507c81578.jpg

I just wanted a kick back siding for extra shunting and variety.

• Like 3

Back to work on PG this morning, and work has started on the Lane leading to the Provender's Store.

Phase one, some support, then card base, then some paint.

The Hot Glue Gun was used but NOT harmed in this process.

IMG_0792.JPG.99bd5d66d2aec4e1d55526cfad019fb3.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG.817a8a1a27dfc81ab5008ba8cea2c070.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 11

I like that idea.

A full depth bridge leads to a desire to place a vehicle (the ubiquitous bus!) on it, but in reality a road vehicle would be on the bridge (and therefore “on scene”) for a very limited time.

By modelling just one edge of the bridge, the scenic break is there, the illusion of a quiet country lane with is preserved and less space is used.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I like that idea.

A full depth bridge leads to a desire to place a vehicle (the ubiquitous bus!) on it, but in reality a road vehicle would be on the bridge (and therefore “on scene”) for a very limited time.

By modelling just one edge of the bridge, the scenic break is there, the illusion of a quiet country lane with is preserved and less space is used.

Looking through the bridge at the backscene behind helps emphasise that the bridge approaches were there only to raise the road enough to take it over the railway. This will affect how you show the embankments of course, so they wouldn't have slipped.

May I comment on the signal? Wouldn't it have been before the point, so on the platform? Dapol does an SR lattice platform starter for those situations..

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I like that idea.

Thanks Tortuga, Yes your right about the temptation to add a Bus or something, but this way, it could be a Farm Track a Country Lane or a B Road with very little use.

Thanks for your interest.

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Looking through the bridge at the backscene behind helps emphasise that the bridge approaches were there only to raise the road enough to take it over the railway. This will affect how you show the embankments of course, so they wouldn't have slipped.

May I comment on the signal? Wouldn't it have been before the point, so on the platform? Dapol does an SR lattice platform starter for those situations..

The Backscene beyond the Bridge is from the previous incarnation of the Layout, so will stay there for photographing the Layout from the Yard and Platform.

Re the Signal, the Platform mounted one was not available when I bought this one, so it will have to do for now, but yes your right, it would have looked a bit better.:good:

I have a Cottage coming on Tuesday that was going at the  end of the Yard at the front of the Layout on a bit of high ground, but having given it very careful consideration I think it would spoil the effect that I'm looking for.