Privett Green

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

He needs the space for a 50 and some mk2 coaches for his NSE O gauge SW mainline adventure.

Ah this must be for the new 7mm Clapham Junction model, in AP's south coast mansion :) I hear on the grapevine, floor 3 is all O gauge, while the vehicular all weather cover lean-to (known to you and me as a garage) is for 4mm adventures :) .... or was that thee gauges on floor O, pushed into the vehicle stabling area? :unknw_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I never understood that either, and when did South East become NORTH of the Thames?:nono:

Several counties are in the South East but north of the Thames: Oxfordshire, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Essex (which should be East Anglia perhaps) and, of course, most of London. Bedfordshire is also counted as South East but my dad, from Bedford, always considered it to be South Midlands.

Under modern boundaries (post 1974, 1972 Local Govt Act), even parts of Surrey are north of the Thames. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Several counties are in the South East but north of the Thames: Oxfordshire, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Essex (which should be East Anglia perhaps) and, of course, most of London. Bedfordshire is also counted as South East but my dad, from Bedford, always considered it to be South Midlands.

Under modern boundaries (post 1974, 1972 Local Govt Act), even parts of Surrey are north of the Thames. 

Hold on being born and brought up in Bedford I can vouch that even Bedford doesn't know where it is.

It is not in the south midlands, it is not in East Anglia and it is not in the south. I believe it to be the center of the universe but quite a few knowledgeable and clever people try to prove it isn't.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hold on being born and brought up in Bedford I can vouch that even Bedford doesn't know where it is.

It is not in the south midlands, it is not in East Anglia and it is not in the south. I believe it to be the center of the universe but quite a few knowledgeable and clever people try to prove it isn't.

The problem with counting Bedfordshire as the South Midlands is Luton - only 30 miles from London.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The problem with counting Bedfordshire as the South Midlands is Luton - only 30 miles from London.

No Luton is a problem, so I am told.

When I first joined the army the others called me a cockney because I didn't have a northern accent, a Cockney from Bedford ?

• Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When I first joined the army the others called me a cockney because I didn't have a northern accent, a Cockney from Bedford ?

When I first moved to Swad, my new work colleges called me a Cockney because of my accent, I tried hard to explain that my accent was PURE DEVON, and I'm a Pasty muncher, but they still insisted I was from souf of the Thames and an Ex Barrow Boy.

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, exmoordave said:

Hi Andy

Just stumbled across your thread and out of curiosity, could you tell me the make of ballast you used please?

Many thanks

exmoordave

Hi Dave, the main is a mix of Gaugemaster N Gauge and Woodlands Scenics fine Buff, (I cant remember the number now I'm afraid), the reason I've added the Buff is lighten it a bit, as I find G/M dry's a bit dark. I've also added some Fine Cinders to what would be the Coal Siding.

I hope that helps Dave.

This shot taken from my Argyle Street Layout shows the Gaugemaster N Ballast as it comes, again, Cinders have been added in some areas but NO BUFF.

DSCF4056.JPG.1eea15e16c4c1131bb3e68802588bc1c.JPG

Here we see the Fruit Van being collected for departure later.

DSCF4357.JPG.5197fdc4d1f96426191cbecfb1cbcd38.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 04/02/2020 at 09:00, Clive Mortimore said:

When I lived in Buckingham, it was clear it had an identity crisis.  It was at the far end of the county nearly as far as you could get from London, dominated by Milton Keynes. The ultility companies couldn't decide where we were.  We had our water from Anglia, our electricity from East Midlands, ITV was Central, BBC was South East, Thames Valley Police, Southern Gas.   When you went shopping it was a toss up between Northampton (was good back then), MK or Oxford.  Aylesbury was never considered - jumped up newcomer that stole the county town title.... 

South Midlands was a good title for it.  I can understand Bedford not knowing what it was. Bed-Pan line certainly pulls it into London's orbit.  we had to get in a car and go to MK, Aylesbury or Bicester to commute into London.  

Now Brackley, only a few miles up the road, over the border in Northants, felt much more like a South Midlands town.  When I drove down to my parents, I'd pass through Anyho, Deddington, Chipping Norton and Stow. Brackley felt/looked more like those towns than Buckingham did.  

regards

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1