Expanded/condensed not working anymore for me

• RMweb Gold

Me too. Seems to have happened precisely at midnight as the year changed. 

Has the software not handled the change of decade correctly?

Edited by RFS

• Moderators

Bizarre, nothing has been changed which should impact that. I'm in condensed view and it won't change to expanded.

I'll have to look at it next week when I'm back at work.

• Thanks 3

I've only been able to get "condensed" option in "view new content" since yesterday too. I can click the button for the "expanded" option and the button changes colour as if it has worked, but the view remains stubbornly "condensed".

By the way, is it the forum software itself annoyingly highlighting every proper English spelling I use as if I should be using the awful American version instead, or is it Windows 10 being awkward? There's enough illiteracy around without promoting it......

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, gr.king said:

is it the forum software itself annoyingly highlighting every proper English spelling I use as

That will be the spellchecker in your browser. Check to see if you can change any settings for locale and language.

• Thanks 1

I've got similar results to gr.king above:

- with a personalised stream for my followed content, it stays expanded even though the button appears to work (changes state) as you toggle between expanded/condensed

- with the defaults unread content, it stays condensed even though the button appears to work (changes state) as you toggle between expanded/condensed

So maybe it's the function to change view that has stoped working, rather than a failure in either of the views themselves.

Not a big inconvenience, just a bit more scrolling.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

By the way, is it the forum software itself annoyingly highlighting every proper English spelling I use as if I should be using the awful American version instead, or is it Windows 10 being awkward? There's enough illiteracy around without promoting it......

If the spelling is correct, right-click on the word, and then Add to dictionary.

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t know if it’s connected to the expanded view, but in addition to being unable to select the condensed view, I am finding it much more difficult (using a tablet) to select the star to go the the first new content. Maybe chubby fingers but I keep selecting the RMWebber image by mistake and go to their profile. Can selecting the star be made easier, perhaps by increasing the space around it or its size, please?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I don’t know if it’s connected to the expanded view, but in addition to being unable to select the condensed view, I am finding it much more difficult (using a tablet) to select the star to go the the first new content. Maybe chubby fingers but I keep selecting the RMWebber image by mistake and go to their profile. Can selecting the star be made easier, perhaps by increasing the space around it or its size, please?

Just clicking the "nnn replies" spot will take you to the last reply.

They are two different things. Clicking on the star should take you to the last reply that you read. If you haven't been on for while or it is a popular subject then there could be 20 replies since you last were on the topic.

Clicking on the nnn replies number simply tales you to the last post and you would then have to scroll back to find the last reply you read.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RFS said:

Just clicking the "nnn replies" spot will take you to the last reply.

Yes it will but that’s not what I want. the star takes you to the first post since your last visit. That is usually much more useful.

• RMweb Gold

If you use one of the custom activity streams (or create a new one of your own), clicking the topic title is then the same as clicking the star or bullet, it goes to the first unread post in the topic:

rmweb_custom_streams.png.b66773e4483aa760198cf11426a01abd.png

I don't know why custom streams should work differently from the default streams, but Invision software is never very logical.

Martin.

Mine has just expanded itself and will not revert.   Firefox 71 on Windows 10, patched up to date.

Edit - since then it's meandered between the two formats depending on how it's feeling but blithely and consistently ignoring the format selection button.

Edited by jwealleans
Additional information.

• RMweb Gold

Still the same problem for me on iPadOS 13.3, Safari. Using the Chrome browser instead is just the same (but then it would be, as Apple forces all browsers to use the same rendering engine). Yesterday, trying Microsoft Edge on W10, condensed appeared to be working to some extent (a bit like expanded versus even more expanded).

The same issue has also appeared on NGRM-online, which also uses the same software, so it's likely been caused by an update in the underlying Invision software—so probably nothing @AY Mod can do about it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

it's likely been caused by an update in the underlying Invision software—so probably nothing @AY Mod can do about it.

I believe that's the case so I'm awaiting a fix now. Sorry all!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm puzzled (and probably a bit dim into the bargain)!

The Expanded/Condensed options still don't appear to show anything different when I'm checking those threads that have changed since my last visit. I recognise that this has been reported so that's not the purpose of this post.

It matters not whether I select the expanded or condensed version.

What I see is the thread title and the initial three or four lines of text of the last post made on the thread. This obviously takes a definable amount of time to load.

However, when I click on one of the sub forums - e.g. Boxfiles, Micro layouts & Dioramas, I see a list of just thread titles, the number of pages, the originator and the start date plus details of the last contributor all within two lines. I presume that loads quicker. Is it a format that can be selected for the whole forum? Would it improve forum performance.

I'm not criticising, just asking if it is an option and whether it would go some way to speeding things up?

• 1 month later...