Tangoman69

After much lurking, but lack of mojo, it has taken me a while to take the plunge and add my efforts onto here. This is my third attempt to get going and clearance has been obtained from the ‘Long Haired General’ to setup in my office.

Didantet is made up from my wife’s name Diane, my son’s name Dan & my daughters name Collette (Tet).

The focus will be the North, with appearances from Northern local services with TransPennine, Virgin East & West Coast, and a myriad of freight services.

My aim is to have a tail-chasing layout where I can watch trains run by as I add to the scenery.

My inspiration come from what I frequently see on the real railway as I travel, or have travelled, to my works office locations in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Reading.

There will be a run through 4 platform station that will also serve as a Bus/Rail interchange with the vision taken from where I used to live in Bolton. It is all being scratch built, with the idea is that it will turn into a winter scene over time.

IMG_2331.jpg.ad260e7694de609fc54ae77207cfcb62.jpg

• Like 10

Hi, 

I am completing the scenic boards as I go along, but I already have all the parts completed to make the full circuit.

They are Tim Horn kits, the straights are 4' x 18" with the curves having a centre radius of 30", they will fill the room when all fully assembled.

I have been adding a retaining wall along the long platform and the beginning of the railway part of the interchange.

Retaining Wall.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The base of the bus part of the interchange has now been constructed, there will be 5 stands with a car-park underneath and a footbridge linking to the railway station. It's made out of 3mm ply with a trim from B&Q for the wall. 

Interchange Base.jpg

Interchange Base 2.JPG

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had a couple of weeks off work due to stress & depression, so as a bit of therapy I was instructed by my good lady wife to spend some time on my layout. Things are starting to come together and begin to look what I had envisaged. Below is the car park under the interchange, it’ll be fully loaded with vehicles eventually.

And the bus station and the footbridge across to the rail station with the sort of traction that will be running.

LNER HSTs, Northern DMUs, Trans Pennine express (awaiting the Mk5s) and a GBRf 66 (66756 - Royal Corps of Signals), my old corps that I spent 18 years serving in.

Regards

Karl

58CDB567-35D8-40AD-8DE1-F2116A518DE6.jpeg

23DC7696-98D8-468F-856F-9602004FA951.jpeg

BBC4CCCF-8764-4C66-8682-99E0409DFE9E.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm liking the look of this I shall be following with great interest.

I'm also ex Royal Corps of Signals of 12years but only as a reservist so I may also have to purchase a model of 66756.

Sorry to hear of your depression,model railways can be a great healer.

Keep up the great work Cirta Cito  

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:06, Tangoman69 said:

I’ve had a couple of weeks off work due to stress & depression, so as a bit of therapy I was instructed by my good lady wife to spend some time on my layout. Things are starting to come together and begin to look what I had envisaged. Below is the car park under the interchange, it’ll be fully loaded with vehicles eventually.

And the bus station and the footbridge across to the rail station with the sort of traction that will be running.

LNER HSTs, Northern DMUs, Trans Pennine express (awaiting the Mk5s) and a GBRf 66 (66756 - Royal Corps of Signals), my old corps that I spent 18 years serving in.

Regards

Karl

58CDB567-35D8-40AD-8DE1-F2116A518DE6.jpeg

23DC7696-98D8-468F-856F-9602004FA951.jpeg

BBC4CCCF-8764-4C66-8682-99E0409DFE9E.jpeg

Real eye for detailing...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

You've made amazing and rapid progress with this, mate.  A suggestion; the radiator is worrying me a little, but it's effect can be diverted by aluminium foil on the underneath of the baseboard to reflect heat away from the layout.  Temperature range is the enemy of layouts; I once had a loft layout that tore itself apart by expansion and contraction because the loft wasn't properly insulated and ventilated.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of ballasting, addition of my GSM-r cab and it’s starting to come together. I’ll finish of the bus station next before starting on the rail part of the interchange .

cheers for now

Karl

6C2ECAC7-38F3-4B13-A62F-5BA82B54FAB2.jpeg

61922850-64D4-44E4-9DBD-4C0095CE43CC.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Steve

I do find modelling therapeutic, as much as I do just sitting by a mainline watching trains thunder by.

I hope to get some more done over the next few days interspersed with getting into the garden for some sunshine.

Karl

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tangoman69 said:

A bit of ballasting, addition of my GSM-r cab and it’s starting to come together. I’ll finish of the bus station next before starting on the rail part of the interchange .

cheers for now

Karl

6C2ECAC7-38F3-4B13-A62F-5BA82B54FAB2.jpeg

61922850-64D4-44E4-9DBD-4C0095CE43CC.jpeg

More lovely work here Karl,realy like the phone mast...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/04/2020 at 23:30, saxokid said:

More lovely work here Karl,realy like the phone mast...

Cheers Neil,

I’ve not secured the mast as I know it will get knocked if left erected.

learning from a previous layout when my yard lamps were always getting bumped

Karl

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Tangoman69 said:

Cheers Neil,

I’ve not secured the mast as I know it will get knocked if left erected.

learning from a previous layout when my yard lamps were always getting bumped

Karl

Yer your right there Karl,

im forever knocking over pylons on Banks road layout..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Class 158 (Ex Northern Spirit), about to enter the paint shop to gain its Northern Spot livery.

I have been working on my DMU fleet over the last couple of weeks, my Northern liveried Class 150 & 153 have had a light weathering, whilst my ex First NorthWestern 150 is being transformed into 150120 in an ex-GWR livery with magenta doors.

328ED382-70DA-4A6B-8F6E-00B6A45BC093.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The 158 is still in the paintshop, so I have been fettling with my Limby S&C 156.

I've done a few slight mods, removed both the front & rear couplings, add replacement couplings and snowploughs from a Hornby 153, added extra detail on the chassis under the driver and then picked out the detail on the chassis as advised by JDW (of this Parish). All that needs to be done now is a light weathering and add some passengers.

It's keeping me occupied whilst in lockdown

Regards,

Karl

IMG_5265.jpg.20771d77b13464d37504a1d925669a83.jpgIMG_5263.jpg.82dad39a1d642eb909f1e08c0d39d7dd.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

• Like 5

In the paint shop today we have a Hornby 153 which is planed to be ex-GWR special 153 305, an all over white livery. There is also a Lima ex-Northern Spirit class 156, this will end up in Northern Spot livery.

Keep safe

Karl

D58BE0B0-AD83-4102-B1B2-A1CAEEB79805.jpeg

Edited by Tangoman69
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3