Scottish distillery tank wagon

Neil

I have found a black & white photograph of this, or a similar wagon that shows the lettering better. The second line is SDSP (CARRON) [or possibly SOSP]

DSP in whisky terms normally refers to distilled spirit plant, but may or may not in this case.

A little checking also reveals that when the distillery was rebuilt in 1959/60 a dark grains plant was built on this site to convert pot ale and draft into animal feeds. This tanker shown may well then have been brining pot ale onto the site at Carron rather than taking in away.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/01/2020 at 23:14, sulzer27jd said:

It won't be malt whisky, because it would then be required to sit in the tank for years to mature.

I wouldn't be so sure - today, considerable quantities of malt whisky are transported around Scotland in road tankers, from distillery to bonded stores (most whisky is now put into casks and aged off-site since demand has outstripped distillery storage capacity) and from bonded stores to bottling plants. At least some of this traffic has been carried by rail in the past, although I don't know exactly when it started.

4 hours ago, RLBH said:

I wouldn't be so sure - today, considerable quantities of malt whisky are transported around Scotland in road tankers, from distillery to bonded stores (most whisky is now put into casks and aged off-site since demand has outstripped distillery storage capacity) and from bonded stores to bottling plants. At least some of this traffic has been carried by rail in the past, although I don't know exactly when it started.

The tank in question is from the 1960's, not today.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2020 at 10:35, sulzer27jd said:

I have found a black & white photograph of this, or a similar wagon that shows the lettering better. The second line is SDSP (CARRON) [or possibly SOSP]

DSP in whisky terms normally refers to distilled spirit plant, but may or may not in this case.

A little checking also reveals that when the distillery was rebuilt in 1959/60 a dark grains plant was built on this site to convert pot ale and draft into animal feeds. This tanker shown may well then have been brining pot ale onto the site at Carron rather than taking in away.

John

Really useful info! Where did you find the photo?

That's just the info I was looking for - building a model of this wagon for a little layout inspired by Dailuaine.

Justin