Getting started in O gauge

Simon Curnock

Hi, be been modelling OO for years but just in the process of selling up on all that and restarting in O gauge.  I’m pretending I know nothing to get as much advice as is possible.  Clearly the cost of O gauge looks scary but I recognise less is more in O gauge.   My first challenge, what is the best and most cost efficient way of doing track? Ready made? Make your own? Can someone give me the simplest beginners advice for getting started on types of track etc. 

Edited by Simon Curnock
Spelling issues
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Simon Curnock said:

Hi, be been modelling OO for years but just in the process of selling up on all that and restarting in O gauge.  I’m pretending I know nothing to get as much advice as is possible.  Clearly the cost of O gauge looks scary but I recognise less is more in O gauge.   My first challenge, what is the best and most cost efficient way of doing track? Ready made? Make your own? Can someone give me the simplest beginners advice for getting started on types of track etc. 

Look at the price for size of 00 models now it's not that bad. An average 00 gauge 12ton van is now around £20-25 in 0 it's around £40-45 RTR a good kit is slightly less. As for track it depends on your abilities and time you have spare. But in all honesty there are not huge savings in costs. By the time you add hours spent and tooling you break even unless you need something super accurate RTR track is a perfect way to start. Look at the likes of Hattons, Rails or Sheffield and Tower models for your bargain track. Is almost always heavily discounted and often 10-20% below list price.

What era are you into Simon? Oh and welcome to the world of 0 gauge. The only thing you will miss is the availability of certain stock but that is changing month by month with new announced things to come.

I started in O about 3 years ago.  The spur was the amazing Dapol RTR locos that are great value.  My first one was the 08.

As for track, if you want ready to plonk (RTP), the only real game in town is Peco.  I bought Peco plain track.  I also had a batch of C&L but they are more difficult to deal with (or were) since ownership changed.

For turnouts, these are widely available from Hattons, Antics and others.  They are also quite expensive, starting at ~ 40.00 for a straight turnout.

I have been making my own turnouts for my layout.  Peco supply all the components for this:  rail, timbers and chairs.    I don't like Peco timbers though, I have had them distort.  I'm using laser cut ply timbers from Intentio.

A learning curve for suppliers of bits and bobs.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Building turnouts will sae you some money but it will also offer you real flexibility. You can  achieve real flow in your trackwork. However if you do not enjoy it I suggest you buy rtr turnouts and opt for a fairly simle track plan. You do not need a lot of turnouts to make it interesting to operate.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Like John, I have been using Peco code 124 bullhead track and then using the Peco components to build my own turnouts.  In my case, I'm too mean to buy in ready cut sleepers so cut my own sleeper strip using a small table saw.

There is nothing wrong with buying in the Peco ready made turnouts as evidenced by the large number of 7mm gauge layouts on the exhibition circuit that use these.

Be aware that the Peco code 124 is not really bullhead, but is a form of flat bottom so the rail is not a direct replacement for the proper bullhead rail offered by other manufacturers such as C&L.  (Edit:  This means that the Peco rail will not fit any chairs or fishplates designed for code 125 bullhead:  well they do, but they are either a rattle fit or too tight.  this is not what you want when trackbuilding.)

I've not done a direct cost comparison between building your track completely from components as opposed to buying in Peco track panels, but if you want to get something running quickly then the Peco track is definitely the way to go.

What I would suggest is getting both rtr pointwork and also buying in the component parts.  That way you can get something running quite quickly and as your confidence in the new scale improves, you have the ability to improve the railway and your skills by making your own trackwork.

Don't be in a rush, visit various layout threads and don't be afraid to ask either on line (or by pm if you prefer).

Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

I started by buying second hand Peco track, points and either Marcway or handbuilt points. The Guage O Guild events [next is Kettering, 7.3.20] and other non-guild events such as Bristol [26.1.20] and even swapmeets are good places to find bundles of Peco track and points from £25 or so. It is pretty robust so even if previously used it is usually re-usable. There will be increasing amounts available as older modellers sell up.

Marcway also do their own flexitrack http://www.marcway.net/index.php

Dava

I built my own track, having never really done it before besides a couple of points in HO - one of which was from a kit with pre-made blades and frogs, the other one though was made from scrap code 100 rail and was a total disaster, but that's how you learn!

I tried to cheat a bit by purchasing some second hand, hand built points from a local hobby shop, however when trying to run trains on my layout I quickly realised why they'd been sold - they were out of gauge!

As such, I had to de-solder them, make new frogs (as the existing ones were then the wrong radius) and relay them again myself. So it would have been quicker to just make my own!

Track building really isn't as hard as it at first looks. Take it steady and test everything as you go - running a wagon through pointwork, over lengths of track, etc, just to make sure you get it right.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, it's perfectly fine to replace a point you've already built as your skills grow. :)

Granted, mine is designed to represent industrial trackage in the USA, so it's not supposed to look in peak condition, but I think these photos should get the idea across. I don't think I did too badly for a novice. :)

IMG_20191019_205959.jpg.a4baf9d81ed8cf99c02b52b743f16a60.jpg

42922224280_5f7d6a2a5f_o.jpg

Edited by DanielB
Pictures added.
  • Like 3

Hi Simon,

I did exactly the same as you about 18 months ago after modelling in OO for over 50 years as I was finding it all just too darn small to see! I concur with all the above particularly the information regarding suppliers and I have found Antics & Tower Models to be both very competitive on prices as well as being extremely helpful. Another great supplier in 0 scale is Ellis Clark Trains who sell the Darstaed range and have a large selection of pre- owned locos & rolling stock at very reasonable prices. Obviously eBay is another source of both new & pre-owned models and I have picked up a number of bargains lately.

In addition, I would recommend you join the Gauge 0 Guild (gauge0guild.com) as they have a very useful website with a huge amount of information on and a very useful product search area which gives details of companies who supply all the bits & pieces needed. They also produce a very useful A4 size quarterly publication called the Gazette, printed in colour, which is included in the subscription.

I hope you have a great time in 0 scale as I know I certainly have - good luck

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Echoing Richard, I have never had more fun modelling since I switched to O.  I did 00 for 30 years.  I wish I had switched sooner.

GOG is worth the price of admission just for the Gazette, a really good magazine and a great source of suppliers.  I stopped getting the mainstream magazines because they really don't support O all that much.

A major advantage for me is that O models default to Finescale which means the track is nearly correct to gauge (4' 6" I think so equivalent to EM in the smaller scale).  I always had angst about running trains on narrow gauge.

John

• Like 1

Try a Guild event.  Whilst coaches and locos command a premium price on the Executors stand, wagons are often very reasonable especially if they require a little TLC. Likewise peco points missing the odd sleeper or with clumsy soldering can be had for well under 20pounds.

• RMweb Gold

I should really have mentioned the Guild and the Gazette myself having edited it for four years. If you are a member you can access old issues through the online Archive.

Don

Go for it, I got a Dapol 08 back in October and have been hooked since. I work on the basis that as my O gauge layout is the same size as my 00 one, I will need less stock so can sell 4 x 00 gauge wagons and it will fund one Ogauge wagon so pound for pound  it is the same.

I have spent a bit of time researching suppliers for scenic, it seems a lot more cottage industry in 0 gauge but stuff is out there. I am planning to go to the Bristol O gauge show at the end of the month as there is a lot of trade there.

• Like 1

Another thing you'll find with O gauge is that your scratchbuilding skills will improve in leaps and bounds as you work, as there are less structure kits available, so if you're after a particular prototype you simply build it yourself! :D

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Another thing you'll find with O gauge is that your scratchbuilding skills will improve in leaps and bounds as you work, as there are less structure kits available, so if you're after a particular prototype you simply build it yourself! :D

I agree with that, I have been semi scratchbuilding a dropside lorry fitted with a crane, I think I am at 100 pieces of plasticard  and rod so far

• Like 1

The easiest way to start out in O gauge is with Peco Track and an RTR locomotive such as those offered by Dapol and Minerva.

I would also recommend getting yourself a few wagon kits. Peco, Slaters, Parkside (now owned by Peco) all have good offerings. There are also quite a few small suppliers which will give you a variety of older or more unusual prototypes such as: https://pregroupingrailways.com

O gauge is still very much a builder's scale - you'll make things from kits, but there are also lots of parts suppliers these days and it is a good size for starting out in scratch-building which is significantly easier in this size.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazing how much fun you can have with 1 old Peco point, some s/h track, a sector plate & 6 x 1. More in 'Coxheath Sidings goes DCC'.

Davaimage.jpeg.f4d544512fa514857d92fc34ed6eb647.jpeg

• Like 6