The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Well all of those mentioned do/did commentate, obviously the list of people who would offer interesting insight is very long indeed, but I don't think Olddudders intended his list to be exhaustive!

Commentating is really quite difficult. I've done at event commentary for a number of mountain bike races, and it's really difficult not to:

- state the obvious

- get immersed in what's happening and say nothing

- repeat yourself constantly

Knowing and understanding what's happening is only a small part of it. I think MW is funny with hindsight,  but his 'Murrayisms' would have infuriated me at the time! 

Interesting piece from Pirelli today that they fully expect lots of overheating this year, as the teams will have faster cars and rejected the new compounds,

Edited by njee20
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

WOW I've just filled all the dates into my Diary for 2020, and with two new Races, one back in Holland at Zandavoot and a new, new one in Vietnam it could be an interesting year. I can almost hear the Orange Army already at Zandazoot.:good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

WOW I've just filled all the dates into my Diary for 2020, and with two new Races, one back in Holland at Zandavoot and a new, new one in Vietnam it could be an interesting year. I can almost hear the Orange Army already at Zandazoot.:good:

The only reason you can't hear the Orange Army yet Andrew is down to the direction of the wind right now :lol:

On a more serious note, I wonder how the Vietnamese race will be covered by trackside marshals, given the lack of such experience in the area. When AD came onto the calendar a decade ago, a number of UK marshals went out to train and supervise the first couple of events and one or two people permanently relocated. With fewer marshals than ever before, the UK probably can't provide much assistance.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Kingzance said:

The only reason you can't hear the Orange Army yet Andrew is down to the direction of the wind right now :lol:

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Write out one hundred times: Zandvoort. ;)

1 hour ago, daltonparva said:

Have a heart. Mr P does his best typing with 1 finger whilst swinging a big mug of tea in his other hand.

I put it down to my gauge I mean AGE.:help:

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Interesting. opposed piston 2-strokes, like the Commer TS3 (and the Napier Deltic) are very efficient in diesel form. If they can make them work in petrol or synthetic version thereof they have a great potential.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Write out one hundred times: Zandvoort. ;)

Many years ago in Motorsport mag, the legendary DSJ, analysing what one might glean from the result of that year’s race, headed his column ‘Ziftings in the Zand’.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I bloody well hope not. It's perhaps uncomfortable enough that F1 is awash with money, but there are enough venues on the current calendar that have questionable internal human rights issues.

It would literally be a bread and circuses farce in Saud given their reluctance to acknowledge the rest of the World is living in the 21st century.

Sorry to introduce a political element to this but I'll dump the sport wholesale if a Saudi race happens and everyone involved is more concerned about shaving a tenth off lap times than the plight of Yemenis and state sponsored execution of journalists.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

10 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I bloody well hope not. It's perhaps uncomfortable enough that F1 is awash with money, but there are enough venues on the current calendar that have questionable internal human rights issues.

It would literally be a bread and circuses farce in Saud given their reluctance to acknowledge the rest of the World is living in the 21st century.

Sorry to introduce a political element to this but I'll dump the sport wholesale if a Saudi race happens and everyone involved is more concerned about shaving a tenth off lap times than the plight of Yemenis and state sponsored execution of journalists.

C6T. 

But you are okay with Bahrain?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

And I don't think Lewis Hamilton would be interested in Racing there, seeing as he is anti Global Problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

And I don't think Lewis Hamilton would be interested in Racing there, seeing as he is anti Global Problems.

Absolutely Andrew.

With the circle of friends Lewis hangs with, and let's face it, his do or die hang the consequences attitude (knowing sacking him would be incredibly problematic) I'm surprised he didn't "take a knee" on at least one podium in the past.

Perhaps he is wise enough to distance personal feeling from the day job but, everyone's got a limit, right? Saudi would be mine.

C6T. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

Don't disagree at all, but, as well as Bahrain, surely Sochi was the venue to take a stance, or even Vietnam, which has an increasing number of political prisoners, subject to torture and inhumane conditions.

Where do we draw the line?? Or do we hope that increased participation in international events makes it harder for such countries to persists with their activities? No easy answer, perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Mike Storey said:

Don't disagree at all, but, as well as Bahrain, surely Sochi was the venue to take a stance, or even Vietnam, which has an increasing number of political prisoners, subject to torture and inhumane conditions.

Where do we draw the line?? Or do we hope that increased participation in international events makes it harder for such countries to persists with their activities? No easy answer, perhaps.

You missed China

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

That's why I'm not getting into a debate. The post race and podium flesh pressing with Putin was excruciating but compelling viewing.

Put it this way friends, I detest the fact the drivers wear sponsored baseball caps indoors, that's my number one problem with the sport. I'll leave you to guess what the peripheral "problems" I have with the circus are.

Saudi/camel/straw, oh yeh.

C6T. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

The hope that contact slowly brings about improvements is not an idle one. I and many I know have worked with and gone to places that don't exist any more; item one, the USSR. Happily, life is a lot better for people in some of its former territories, and there are happy East German, Polish, Czech, Baltic States folks I know well who will tell you about what is now better. Not perfect by any means, but better.

Let those who sadly want to draw lines do so; while those of us who believe that contact, conversation, trade, opens doors and changes minds - slowly - will persist in doing these things.

Way off topic I know, but Rob Gifford's 'China Road' is one of the best descriptions I have ever read about the effects of sympathetic contact, worth anyone's time to read.

• Like 3

A retraction of sorts friends from my previous position if I may, and a realisation that perhaps I really need to widen my news feeds. (Plus an apology to Andrew for tainting the thread with my standpoint in the first place.)

I'm informed that since Saud has hosted events of global interest such as Formula E and boxing matches, the powers that be have indeed realised they need to cater for audiences that aren't of a medieval mindset. Thus there is an undercurrent of reform within the state. A good thing, undoubtedly, and arguably driven by a desire for acceptance such as 34theletterbetweenB&D suggests.

I hold fast that the Yemen situation and execution of a critical journalist cannot be ignored but it does seem a younger generation of internal policy makers is already making its influence felt to bring the country on-side to accepted 21st century norms.

C6T.

• Like 5