The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And that assumes they have a market. With financial meltdown a real possibility for so many, buying luxury cars may be a more occasional hobby. 

I don't think it'll be just luxury cars, either.

After all this settles down, there's going to be quite a hangover with a lot less earned income about for those lucky enough to still be in receipt of some to trade their cars in for new (or newer) ones.

Those they would normally be trading in won't have racked up the expected mileages anyway. The same will apply to most company motors, so I'd expect to see extensions to the leases on them being negotiated.  

John

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

After all this settles down, there's going to be quite a hangover with a lot less earned income about for those lucky enough to still be in receipt of some to trade their cars in for new (or newer) ones.

All that will mean is an increase in untaxed cars, especially at the lower end of the price range...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Hobby said:

All that will mean is an increase in untaxed cars, especially at the lower end of the price range...

It'll almost certainly mean an increase in untaxed cars that attract higher rates of duty, but you can find decent ones that only cost £30-per-year for well under £2,000 these days.

Untaxed cars usually don't have MoT's either, so If it also leads to a corresponding increase in the confiscation/crush rate of ill-maintained 15-plus-year-old high performance cars, that'll be no bad thing from a road safety and emissions viewpoint. 

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

The MoT is the cheap bit, it's the cost of the repairs needed to get it through the MoT that's the costly bit!!

Rather depends on whether the roads are policed well enough to catch them, somehow i doubt it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hobby said:

The MoT is the cheap bit, it's the cost of the repairs needed to get it through the MoT that's the costly bit!!

The MOT is the absolute minimum requirement of safety for a car, if it can't pass such a simple test it shouldn't be on the road!

• Agree 1

Tell that to the scroats who don't bother! All this will do is increase their numbers as people who are short of money following this mess and who "need" their car don't bother taxing and MoT-ing the vehicle on the fairly safe assumption that they'd be unlucky to get caught bearing in mind the small number of traffic police around...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Hobby said:

Tell that to the scroats who don't bother! All this will do is increase their numbers as people who are short of money following this mess and who "need" their car don't bother taxing and MoT-ing the vehicle on the fairly safe assumption that they'd be unlucky to get caught bearing in mind the small number of traffic police around...

More use of fixed ANPR cameras would get round the detection, still need to go nick them and crush the car.

any way back to F1

is the virtual racing on Sky?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

More use of fixed ANPR cameras would get round the detection, still need to go  find and nick them and crush the car. ;)

any way back to F1

is the virtual racing on Sky?

I've noticed that most sports seem to be doing the "virtual" route recently (the Grand National?!!) but I just can't see the point, it's not like the Real Thing at all, give me old films/videos any day...

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Hobby said:

I've noticed that most sports seem to be doing the "virtual" route recently (the Grand National?!!) but I just can't see the point, it's not like the Real Thing at all, give me old films/videos any day...

Just watching GCN virtual cycle racing, now I can see the point of this, as in some ways there is little difference with the real thing, as it's man that is powering the machine, but not sure about F1 in pretend cars. As to Sky just looked on Sky GO & it's listed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

F1 Virtual Grand Prix

Bunch of F1 drivers will be racing virtually at Melbourne for a half distance race. F1 drivers include: Charles Leclerc, Lando Norris, Alex Albon, George Russell, Antonio Giovinazzi, Nicholas Latifi and 2009 world champion Jenson Button as well as other media and sports personalities.

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Phaeton said:

Just watching GCN virtual cycle racing, now I can see the point of this, as in some ways there is little difference with the real thing, as it's man that is powering the machine, but not sure about F1 in pretend cars. As to Sky just looked on Sky GO & it's listed.

Are C4 showing the highlights?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Are C4 showing the highlights?

The F1 channel on youtube is.

I thought it was actually ok. Will never take the place of real racing but was fun to see F1 stars mixing it up with racers from other series, commentators, cricketers and "content makers".

• Like 2

Just now, PhilJ W said:

Breaking news this morning, Stirling Moss has passed away.

After "a long illness".  I don't know if thats better or worse than covid-19. 

A link to a more gentlemanly era of Formula 1 gone.

• Agree 3