The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

9 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But by the definition of a Europe/Asia border it is in Europe .

See map . 

Europe_NYT.jpg

That was my point - the objection had been raised that a British circuit could not host a European Grand Prix as we were no longer in the EU, I was just pointing out that it's a question of geography, not politics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

18 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I find your reasoning sound, but wonder about how the governments weight the economic impact in their decisions on restrictions.

Bottom line is that the decision will be made primarily on economic grounds, as that's the big factor the electorate generally remembers come election time. We surely notice if we are poorer, and the majority of the population will be in the 'not going to happen to me' mindset regarding risk of a personally bad outcome from one more infection among the many causes of mortality.

There will be much modelling going on of the economic impacts of 'various options for returns to living and working normally' vs 'consequent impacts and losses due to Covid': at some point the outcomes for returning to normal activity will look more favourable, and off we go. There will be a new situation normal, with more expenditure required for healthcare - so expect a tax hit - and a sustained noticeably higher mortality rate until Covid has killed most of the vulnerable it can access.

But this will not be the situation normal of 2019. There will be travel restrictions dependent on national decisions, and flying in particular will become much more expensive.

• Like 2

On 20/04/2020 at 13:51, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That is, unless major governments and the WHO decide that the economic impact of travel restriction is too severe to bear

I give you Mr Trump, what's a few millions deaths as long as world trade continues, collateral damage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Formula E but may help quench the thirst so to speak 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/motorsport/52371729

How can I watch the Formula E Race at Home challenge?

All times are subject to change...

BBC Sport will have live coverage from all eight races of the Formula E Race at home challenge, culminating in the Grand Final on 7 June. 

Coverage will be available live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app and on-demand for 30 days. 

Full coverage details:

Race one - Saturday 25 April, 16:20-17:00

Race two - Saturday 2 May, 16:20-17:00

Race three - Saturday 9 May, 16:20-17:00

Race four - Saturday 16 May, 16:20-17:00

Race five - Saturday 23 May, 16:20-17:00

Race six - Saturday 30 May, 16:20-17:00

Race seven - Saturday 6 June, 16:20-17:00

Race eight, Grand Final - Sunday 7 June, time tbc

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 15:07, Phaeton said:

I give you Mr Trump, what's a few millions deaths as long as world trade continues, collateral damage.

Forget Trump (who might politely be described as 'seat of the pants man on steroids') and consider that the modelling will be done by responsible well educated people attempting to make the best possible compromises between the collateral damage from more infection, and the collateral damage consequent on economic failure. Having made the world into an economically interdependent village  - whatever we may individually feel about the wisdom of that, we have to start from the truth of where we are - there's no way of just switching that off without consequent disaster to livelihoods on a truly gargantuan scale. (Just look at what the Mediterranean countries of the EU are lobbying for in the way of economic support after only a few weeks of shutdown; albeit they are attempting to bury much of their past under the Covid shroud...)

And we should further keep in mind that there is a continuing need not just for our own national GDP wherever we may be in the world, but also for the funding to enable relief missions to support populations that were already experiencing disasters various - both of the natural kind and humanly created - without Covid's assistance. So significant numbers of people and large scale resources will need to be funded to that end too.

And back to F1. Now, it comes to mind that some years past the late and sagacious Sir Stirling declared that Lewis was easily good enough to win five world championships with Mercedes. I wonder if the interruption of F1 may prove that he alighted upon the right number?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

easily good enough to win five world championships with Mercedes. I wonder if the interruption of F1 may prove that he alighted upon the right number?

Except he’s already on 6 . . . :bomb_mini:

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

...  F1 could be so much more interesting if the best drivers could be drafted in to some of the lesser teams.

You mean like Lewis at McLaren, Fred at Mclaren, Verstappen at Red Bull, Ricciardo at Red Bull and Renault, Leclerc at Ferrari, Raiko at Alfa?  It happens naturally, doesn't need to be specially arranged.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You mean like Lewis at McLaren, Fred at Mclaren, Verstappen at Red Bull, Ricciardo at Red Bull and Renault, Leclerc at Ferrari, Raiko at Alfa?  It happens naturally, doesn't need to be specially arranged.

Yeah but it's a Doodle idea they like to make simple things complicated to make themselves look good.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 16:03, Joseph_Pestell said:

Saw on the sports news (not that there is much sport to report) that the draft has begun for American Football.  F1 could be so much more interesting if the best drivers could be drafted in to some of the lesser teams.

Ditto the team principals, but much more fun if not done until half way through the season....

If you want to make things properly "interesting", bin qualifying (which long ago ceased to be) and start each race with the grid a reverse image of the finishing order of the previous race.

John 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Ditto the team principals, but much more fun if not done until half way through the season....

If you want to make things properly "interesting", bin qualifying (which long ago ceased to be) and start each race with the grid a reverse image of the finishing order of the previous race.

John 

I believe that some of the "lesser" series do something very similar, holding two races in the course of a meeting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Make it an even more "interesting" start by being an exact mirror of the previous race finish with all the cars therefore facing backwards :)

Really, though, the unintended consequence of this system would be chaos at the end of the race at the back of the grid everyone not likely to score points stops on the track to come last and get pole position next race.

I suppose you could award points for all places (rather than just the top 10), but with the drop off of points you'd still dis-incentivise one of the most exciting aspects of the races - someone out of position near the back would no longer have nothing to lose - like Verstappen did in Brasil in 2016; rationally the best thing to do if a poor finish meant a good place on the grid next time would be to retire, rather than, as he did, absolutely go for it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, StuartMc said:

Make it an even more "interesting" start by being an exact mirror of the previous race finish with all the cars therefore facing backwards :)

Really, though, the unintended consequence of this system would be chaos at the end of the race at the back of the grid everyone not likely to score points stops on the track to come last and get pole position next race.

I suppose you could award points for all places (rather than just the top 10), but with the drop off of points you'd still dis-incentivise one of the most exciting aspects of the races - someone out of position near the back would no longer have nothing to lose - like Verstappen did in Brasil in 2016; rationally the best thing to do if a poor finish meant a good place on the grid next time would be to retire, rather than, as he did, absolutely go for it.

Just give points for qualifying and same for the race. But reverse the results of qualifying. If you drive well and make up positions from the back of the grid you get two lots of points. If you are a minnow team who struggles in qualifying you get no qual points but you do get exposure of starting at the front, a better chance of an upset and the viewer actually has no idea who will win and an entertaining spectacle for the first time in what feels like forever.

• Like 1

I fear if reverse order grids were to become a thing the machinations of where the lesser teams get their pu's/aero/drivers &c. will be reminded to them in no uncertain terms.

I've long been of the opinion a team that brings both cars over the finish line (regardless of position) should receive a point, as long as both are raceworthy, natch.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1