The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

38 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Martin Brundle thinks he will "retire" at the end of the season?

He should have done it before last season so as not to make himself look 2nd class to CL.

• Agree 2

Vettel

I wouldnt be surprised if things dont go well as far as he is concerned . The big if ?? if the season ever starts, that he will just walk away or Ferrari simply dump him.

Replacement who knows ?? there is no one special coming onto this season, that I am aware off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That must have been a tough call between Sainz & Ricciardo.

Sainz had a solid season last year. Ricciardo didn't really, but his car did not give him the chance to do so.

The article points out that the vacancy left at McLaren is a possibiity for Ricciardo. It will be interesting to see how McLaren develop once racing begins.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MarkC said:

As for Vettel - Seb who? I fancy that that's his F1 career over, and I don't think he'll be missed, tbh.

He did an Orson Welles, starting at the top with Toro Rosso and then Red Bull in its ace years. He has since worked down into Ferrari, where he has demonstrated his fragility under pressure, and his sullen nature. No, he wouldn't be much missed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

i am surprised Ferrari want the internal competition, Sainz will not 'seed' to LeClerc he believes he can be a champion. Ricciardo to McLaren could be a good move as long as they can still go forward

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That must have been a tough call between Sainz & Ricciardo.

Sainz had a solid season last year. Ricciardo didn't really, but his car did not give him the chance to do so.

The article points out that the vacancy left at McLaren is a possibiity for Ricciardo. It will be interesting to see how McLaren develop once racing begins.

McLaren with a Mercedes lump next year will be a very tasty proposition. Fred did say we will learn his plans soon...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

McLaren with a Mercedes lump next year will be a very tasty proposition. Fred did say we will learn his plans soon...

If by Fred, you mean Alonso, then I hope McLaren don't take him back, as that would destabilise not only Norris but the whole Team once again, F1 is better off without him, just the same as the Red Cars will be without the Vet. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 13:17, MarkC said:

...As for Vettel - Seb who? I fancy that that's his F1 career over, and I don't think he'll be missed, tbh.

Those who thought him the business are likely to miss him I should think.

I am glad he didn't retire with his 4x Red Bull powered championships. That allowed a realistic appraisal of his relative standing. Good enough driver to win races in sufficient quantity for the championship when the lead driver in a team with the stand out car in the field. Not able to win sufficient races for the championship when faced with equally capable competitors, both in the same car and in other equally good cars. So not in the top level, drivers that win the season from among a significantly competitive field, but next one down, very well able to make use of a car which has net competitive edge during a season.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I am glad he didn't retire with his 4x Red Bull powered championships. That allowed a realistic appraisal of his relative standing. Good enough driver to win races in sufficient quantity for the championship when the lead driver in a team with the stand out car in the field. Not able to win sufficient races for the championship when faced with equally capable competitors, both in the same car and in other equally good cars. So not in the top level, drivers that win the season from among a significantly competitive field, but next one down, very well able to make use of a car which has net competitive edge during a season.

So the same as Jenson Button, Damian Hill & James Hunt then?

Edited by Phaeton
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That point of view could be argued against by his victory in the 2008 Italian Grand Prix in a Torro Rosso.

Though a counter argument would be that was a outlier case, similar to Pastor Maldonado's win of the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rocor said:

That point of view could be argued against by his victory in the 2008 Italian Grand Prix in a Torro Rosso.

Though a counter argument would be that was a outlier case, similar to Pastor Maldonado's win of the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix. 

Or Panis at Monaco.

• Like 1

Just a quick note in this thread... not exactly OT, but it's definitely well targetted.

I have two complete unbuilt plastic model kits of Formula 1 cars...

1992 Williams Renault FW14B - Hasegawa FS-9 (1:24)   (only assembly on this is the top inner front wishbone shrouds are glued to the nosecone halves.)

1998 McLaren Mercedes MP4/13 - Tamiya 20046 (1:20)  (Untouched.)

Both of them appear difficult to get hold of now.  First dibs on these to RMWebbers, I'd prefer to send both together to one of you before I Ebay them.  PMs please.

• Like 2