The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

28 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Such as, which bend and on which Lap Seb will stuff it?:D

Being as he out of F1 at the end of this season (why would he sign up with a tier 2 team if a seat became available). With the pressure being off, would it not be ironic if he drove this year with a brilliance that he has not shown for quite a while.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, rocor said:

Being as he out of F1 at the end of this season (why would he sign up with a tier 2 team if a seat became available). With the pressure being off, would it not be ironic if he drove this year with a brilliance that he has not shown for quite a while.

I agree.

Being Ferrari's No1 brings a lot of expectation & pressure with it. That is off now, so he can drive with a point to prove like he did at Toro Rosso.

• Agree 2

The bigger question is how I'm going to shoehorn in the Virtual Exhibition, qualifying, the race, and get some modelling in over the weekend...? (And I think SWMBO will probably want to go shopping!) :(

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/06/2020 at 15:04, rocor said:

Ferrari have apparently admitted their current car design is poor so they will not be competitive for the first 2 races. They are working on upgrades for the 3rd race in Hungary.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Ferrari have apparently admitted their current car design is poor so they will not be competitive for the first 2 races. They are working on upgrades for the 3rd race in Hungary.

With what could be a very short season, that could be to late. 

Although later Races are still scheduled, if the Virus returns, some Country's made need to re think.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Ferrari have apparently admitted their current car design is poor...

Reading between the lines, I feel it very likely that following the 'fuel flow' investigation, a very thorough inspection may have resulted in other discoveries; with the result that the car has gone backwards in development. Old story, once found with fingers in till...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Reading between the lines, I feel it very likely that following the 'fuel flow' investigation, a very thorough inspection may have resulted in other discoveries; with the result that the car has gone backwards in development. Old story, once found with fingers in till...

Or as Max Verstappen so succinctly put it last year " That's what happens when you stop cheating!".

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm still confused, the Mercs are black to promote anti-racism. When I was at school the blackboards were painted green for the same reason ....

Anyway, whatever the colour of anyone, come on Lewis, Lando, George and Alex (a brit in my eyes)!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

I'm still confused, the Mercs are black to promote anti-racism. When I was at school the blackboards were painted green for the same reason ....

These days the Greens come in all skin colours!

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But no huge surprises in FP1, it seems. Grosjean's loss of brake pressure will not have been fun. 

I hope they'll stay 2 meters apart in the corners, just remind Max please.:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I hope they'll stay 2 meters apart in the corners, just remind Max please.:D

A little wheel to wheel tyre scrubbing is just being friendly.

• Funny 3

29 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

...Little Jack Horner took 3 months to put in his protest and still failed!

Very obvious 'spoiler' timing. The system was announced and reviewed by the FIA well in advance of the planned 2020 season start date, and assessed as conforming under the current rule set; and to be invalid for use in 2021.

An unexpectedly short season for it to be deployed. It would be interesting to know the risk and benefit analysis from it, which Merc could reveal since no one else will ever be able to use it. So you get some drag reduction, tyre wear reduction, and perhaps better cornering stability, and if those all work the starting fuel load can be reduced, against a possible weight distribution penalty and a mechanism failure risk, leaving the car in a range from sub optimal condition to outright failure.

I

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Radford said:

Channel 4 - "Highlights" - Quali - 1845 tonight. Race 1830 tomorrow.

Little Jack Horner took 3 months to put in his protest and still failed!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53285413

12 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Very obvious 'spoiler' timing. The system was announced and reviewed by the FIA well in advance of the planned 2020 season start date, and assessed as conforming under the current rule set; and to be invalid for use in 2021.

An unexpectedly short season for it to be deployed. It would be interesting to know the risk and benefit analysis from it, which Merc could reveal since no one else will ever be able to use it. So you get some drag reduction, tyre wear reduction, and perhaps better cornering stability, and if those all work the starting fuel load can be reduced, against a possible weight distribution penalty and a mechanism failure risk, leaving the car in a range from sub optimal condition to outright failure.

I

The reason for the "3 Months" is that protests are made to race stewards, with no racing there was no race stewards to protest to, CH was asked and explained that the Friday was the first occasion when they could protest and wanted to do so on the Friday to get it cleared up at the earliest possible point in the weekend so as to not spoil the result on Sunday.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 2

Well at the moment Ricciardo must be the happiest chap on the grid - his current car is good but his next car looks like it has taken another big step forward, Sainz has his new drive alongside him and his understudy ahead of him.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2