Guidance required for location of permanent speed restriction signs (early 1960’s)

paulontheball

Hi, can the collective advise on the detail for permanent speed restriction signs please? - these are the yellow and black signs as per the attached pic - I’ve spent sometime googling but not found any clarity on the subject yet!

Period modelled is early 1960’s and location is a prototype on the Settle & Carlisle line - track plan pic also attached.

What would be the maximum speed for the yard and the relief siding?

Where would the signs be located?

Would there also be a speed restriction on the entrance to the station, or anywhere else?

Any advice gratefully received!

6FE9BB6C-AFF3-4BA7-9F6B-203919A4D6DB.jpeg

E34B33FB-A4B4-4AF0-8C3F-6F2EC6973494.jpeg

The yard and relief siding are only accessible by reversing on the main line.  I don't think any permitted speed would be signed for these moves, as the driver would be propelling the train into a track that might be occupied and/or responding to hand signals from a guard or shunter.  

There is no intrinsic need for a speed restriction through a station.  There may be a specific reason such as a tight curve or a structure that can't withstand the loadings of trains at full speed.  I think either is unlikely on the S&C in that era.  

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Agree 4