St Martin-sur-Orb - H0 Midi layout

Canopy now fitted and roof draped on. The roof uses Wills pantiles rather than the etched ply included in the kit. At the moment the roof is only glued along the ridge line. The benefit of putting all the rafters on (supposedly 'optional') is clear. There is a slight bow in the roof on the main building - this will be straightened when it is completely glued down. The ply roofs will come in handy for the nominal interior.

IMG_3771s.jpg.9334bd8e2d7357567b5b6652141a16bc.jpg

IMG_3770s.jpg.4d987413094e677cb316d18bab1803f1.jpg

The canopy at the left end (below) didn't quite fit perfectly and was standing out from the wall by about 1mm; some small fillets from the fret waste of the same material was cut and inserted - from this picture you can't tell.

IMG_3774s.jpg.6d228a81f4842e0a96371115ca4ef32a.jpg

Edited by 10800
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just stumbled on this post. What an interesting project you are developing! And the PLM station model by Bois Modelism may be just what I need for my HOe project to re-create something to represent the metre gauge line that used to run near my second home in Normandy. Didn't realise there might be something out there that gets so close to la gare de Brecey :)

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2020 at 18:25, 10800 said:

What do you think the colour scheme should be? Typical photos suggest light cream with pale blue/grey for the woodwork, but I'm open to suggestions. What about the corner stones and door/window surrounds? Existing structures are often in a pale pink base colour, but I don't know if they are original or repaints after line closure.

I just received from Architecture & Passion (in Labouheyre in SW France, and very efficiently) another laser-cut kit for a Midi toilet/lamp room (ref. 874021). As well as very nice colour photo instructions, they helpfully provide three options for Midi building colour schemes (although is this pre-PO and pre-SNCF? I'll ask them).

These are

Option 1 - light grey walls, white stonework and details, medium brown doors and windows

Option 2 - off-white walls, medium grey stonework, brown or medium grey doors etc

Option 3 - very light ochre/ochre pink walls, light grey stonework, medium brown doors etc

For now I have the acrylics for option 3 (Vallejo), but it can always be repainted later if wrong.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

station bulding looks good. Just need to find reaso for the bigger building. Also not sure about the tiles. Although the round 'pantile' ones are common in the area, the ones I have seen on local station buildings are the flatter ones. I personally prefer the round ones, but I do wonder why the flatter ones were used. Possibly the way they are fitted is more secure as I have been told the round ones can slip over time. Slate tile roofs can also be found in the area, but I think mainly churches, possibly linked to the Norman influence at the time of the Cathars.

• RMweb Gold

Those Wills Pantiles are not a very good representation of the tuile canal that is typical of the Midi.

As you note, stations, and indeed "public" buildings in general, often use tuile mecaniques. I think that Redutex produced a sheet for tuiles mecaniques. The other way to produce these is to find a Jouef Ouest timber goods shed which has nice large roof sheets, a plastic moulding. You can take a rubbing using aluminium kitchen foil which you then stiffen up by spraying with matt varnish.

• Informative/Useful 1

Once painted and weathered they won't be so obvious. They look like the Plastruct/Slaters ones you have used. They are not quite the typicall'Spanish pantile' I have on my house, but I think I have sen moden versions with a side lip to link tiles together.

One of the problems with laser cutting is that tiles look too flat. The Redutex ones do look good. I had a close look at O scale ones recently, but they stilldid not look quite right for some tiles.

Had not looked closely at the Jouef model . Interesting.

It would be nice to have some detailed(ie drawings) showing shape of different tiles, as I have done some for 3D printing.

• Like 1

Now painted and pretty much finished - roof slightly weathered but I won't finish it until I have all the layout buildings done so they can all be weathered consistently. And I will have to add the name to the end walls.

549126952_Figure14.JPG.02096e7ea333f2c3f65259186b28d46b.JPG

1269742570_Figure15.JPG.4b5e24edfbcb9cbe547fd0860eb91496.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I think this is a different kind of catenary support (taken near Dax) but I thought it might be of interest for the stork nest:

thumbnail.jpg.fda38e33f90eed2c0bd9f6813efe8bcd.jpg

They come back each year and there are several nests along the same stretch of track.

• Like 7

Brilliant, thanks BT!

I am planning a transition from these ogives to conventional masts, but I don't recall seeing any storks in the area I am basing the layout on. I will inquire of my friends.

What they do have is hoopoes, so I ought to have one or two of those ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Other than the in the middle of Dubai, where they seem to be prevalent, the only place I've ever seen hoopoes was the Camargue. I also saw rollers there for the one and only time.

Enjoying this thread, a very interesting and inspiring project.

• Thanks 1

The other 'typical' bird in the area of interest is the black redstart, including nesting at the gite where I stay. I don't know if that's just a hotspot or if they are quite widespread. But not dramatic enough to model! Rollers would be nice, but I've only ever seen them in Africa and Pakistan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2020 at 14:11, Barry Ten said:

I think this is a different kind of catenary support (taken near Dax) but I thought it might be of interest for the stork nest:

thumbnail.jpg.fda38e33f90eed2c0bd9f6813efe8bcd.jpg

They come back each year and there are several nests along the same stretch of track.

There would be. Storks congregate so you will see lots of nests in close proximity - or none at all. I don't know why they choose some sites over others that seem similar. Better food source perhaps. Those nests look quite comfortable. In Spain and Portugal one sees a lot of nests balanced on top of the telegraph posts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

can't say I have heard frogs down there. Cicadas are definitely noisy, and surprisingly big

From the pics I have just seen on the morning news, many of the frogs will have been washed away downstream. I will have to phone and check that the house is OK. At least the kitchen is on the first floor now and the washing machine on a plinth.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2020 at 17:22, Joseph_Pestell said:

Those Wills Pantiles are not a very good representation of the tuile canal that is typical of the Midi.

As you note, stations, and indeed "public" buildings in general, often use tuile mecaniques. I think that Redutex produced a sheet for tuiles mecaniques. The other way to produce these is to find a Jouef Ouest timber goods shed which has nice large roof sheets, a plastic moulding. You can take a rubbing using aluminium kitchen foil which you then stiffen up by spraying with matt varnish.

I see in the Peco Spring Newsletter that Wills are to do tuiles mecaniques or, as they strangely call them, lozenge tiles. But if in their usual small format, probably not big enough for a station building.

Tracklaying now all done apart from the extreme ends (I haven't worked out the fiddle yard arrangements yet) and the back siding which will be built around the buildings and not the other way round.

IMG_3835.JPG.0b8a6f771c650b02b5e49f85ba50f546.JPG

Next I will rotate the whole thing 90 degrees forwards in order to fit all the droppers on the plain line (points are already done), then another 180 degrees which will show the underside at the front so I can get on with wiring and point motors. Then it will be testing that it all works before ballasting, and after that catenary.

• Like 8