FNA nuclear flask wagons numbers on the top?

Nick G

The FNA nuclear flask wagons (Bachmann) have the last two digits of the wagon number on the top of the flask cover. For example 550023 has 23 on the top. What year did they apply these numbers on the top? Where they there from the start or introduced later? What year did FNA's first appear on the network?

Thanks in advance for any info. 

• Agree 1

They started to appear in 1984 but have no idea of their rate of introduction. As for the numbers on the covers roof I would guess they got them in turn while getting overhauled 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 25901 said:

They started to appear in 1984 but have no idea of their rate of introduction. As for the numbers on the covers roof I would guess they got them in turn while getting overhauled 

Thanks for that, mid 80's is what I was thinking.

1 minute ago, Lyddrail said:

Nick,

As pics in 1997 & 1998 these 2 didn't have numbers on the roofs.

Cheers.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, very useful as I have 550021.

I will be running in two time periods, 1986 - 1988 and 1993 - 1995 so that one will do for both time frames. 

20 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Thanks Paul, very useful as I have 550021.

I will be running in two time periods, 1986 - 1988 and 1993 - 1995 so that one will do for both time frames. 

What’s wrong with 1988-1993 :D

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, 25901 said:

What’s wrong with 1988-1993 :D

Nothing much happening then! The explosives siding at Maentwrog Road was only used between 1986 - 1988 and flask traffic to Trawsfynydd was using the same class of loco, 25's and 47's. 1993 -1995 flask traffic only with 31's (trainload coal, dutch, regional railways and rail freight livery) and 47's. 

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Nothing much happening then! The explosives siding at Maentwrog Road was only used between 1986 - 1988 and flask traffic to Trawsfynydd was using the same class of loco, 25's and 47's. 1993 -1995 flask traffic only with 31's (trainload coal, dutch, regional railways and rail freight livery) and 47's. 

You can’t beat a 25 or two

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

The FNA nuclear flask wagons (Bachmann) have the last two digits of the wagon number on the top of the flask cover. For example 550023 has 23 on the top. What year did they apply these numbers on the top? Where they there from the start or introduced later? What year did FNA's first appear on the network?

Thanks in advance for any info. 

No evidence of any to Trawsfynedd ever carrying the roof top numbers.  Think they may have been added by DRS.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I have a sneaky feeling that the number on the roof relates to the nuclear flask, rather than the wagon as they do get swopped about quite a bit.

No its the wagon number as its on the hood of the wagon, the flask is inside.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick G said:

No its the wagon number as its on the hood of the wagon, the flask is inside.

Okay, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the flask.

1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

Okay, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the flask.

No worries, the flask isn't visible unless you actually catch the actual loading/unloading.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Did BR do any Nuclear Flask movement using Steam Locos or was it only started by the time BR had gone Diesel?

If they did what type of flask wagon did they use, any pics? 

Not up on the nuclear history so was just wondering, or was its a simple case of at the time steam came to and end Windscale was the only Nuclear power station online so did it's own reprocessing and nothing was moved on the rail system until more power stations came on line.

Thanks

Paul

7 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Did BR do any Nuclear Flask movement using Steam Locos or was it only started by the time BR had gone Diesel?

Paul, I am not sure to be honest. There is an old thread here, not read through it myself.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Not steam, but a 1981 image cropped up here

Pair of class 31s with carrier in a mixed freight, and zoomed in further down the page.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Not up on the nuclear history so was just wondering, or was its a simple case of at the time steam came to and end Windscale was the only Nuclear power station online so did it's own reprocessing and nothing was moved on the rail system until more power stations came on line.

Thanks

Paul

I think I've seen a picture of a 8f on a flask..... It would have been one of the earlier vehicles though and it would be difficult to tell weather the flask was actually loaded.

Griff

I believe this symbol is to line the wagon up with a mark on the floor so the wagon is in the correct position under the crane? Is this correct and if so what year were these marks applied? is it cl what does CL stand for?

claa.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1