FNA nuclear flask wagons numbers on the top?

Nick G

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I believe this symbol is to line the wagon up with a mark on the floor so the wagon is in the correct position under the crane? Is this correct and if so what year were these marks applied? is it cl what does CL stand for?

claa.jpg

Yes that's correct, there was a similar line on the road flask transporter, both had to line up with a painted line on the ground. 

CL is centre line, it was a struggle for some guards to get the wagon lined up, especially if the driver was using the straight air brake and there was some slack in the coupling.

I used to deal with the flask traffic at Lydd  / Dungeness along with Ernie Puddick "Bigbee Line" and the most anxious bit of the day was to see who the guard was and how long you would be waiting to get the flask off loaded or loaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Simon Lee said:

Yes that's correct, there was a similar line on the road flask transporter, both had to line up with a painted line on the ground. 

CL is centre line, it was a struggle for some guards to get the wagon lined up, especially if the driver was using the straight air brake and there was some slack in the coupling.

I used to deal with the flask traffic at Lydd  / Dungeness along with Ernie Puddick "Bigbee Line" and the most anxious bit of the day was to see who the guard was and how long you would be waiting to get the flask off loaded or loaded.

Great info thank you. 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Found a few shots that prove at least some did have the large number on top of the Flask hood.

Numbers must have been added late on maybe when DRS took over the haulage. 

• Agree 3

550014 -2011

550024 - 2011

seaton 005

550026 - 2011

FNA 550026

550029 -2014

IMG_9648SM

550037 -2014

37606 and 37611 6C46

550038 - 2014

37605 + 37194 6E44 Kingmoor - Seaton Carew. FNAs 550038  550027 and 550045 pass through Hartlepool 23.01.14

550048 - 2008

550048 FNA Bickley, 26/06/08

I hadn't realised that even the new ones have the numbers on the top as well 

151216 FNA 11 70 9229 009-9 in consist of 6M63 Bridgwater - Crewe CLS Spetchley 4587

68003 'Astute' and 68016 'Fearless' 6C53

Not a roof shot but an interesting side view of a brand new Flask Wagon with the hood open

Sliding Doors.

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have to say the "new" flask wagons are a bit grim , I recall from a pink pages lesson as a guard that the smooth sides was to not only stop access from climbers (CND or worse) - overlook steps and had rails!  But to ensure if washing required after incident  no ledges left to hold residue that could dry and then blow off. What lessons not learnt I wonder .

The numbers come of the hoods easily enough having backdated to for the office training facility.  

Robert  

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:17, TheSignalEngineer said:

One with a number on the roof at Landor Street, 12 May 2019, I just found on Google Earth when looking for something completely different.

1047793947_SaltleyFlask.JPG.9d100258e00ab146eaf414fd1c02c375.JPG

Some great pictures there!!

Ive just made open top flask wagon for my DRS crane depot...

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2020 at 22:00, TRAILRAGE said:

I hadn't realised that even the new ones have the numbers on the top as well 

151216 FNA 11 70 9229 009-9 in consist of 6M63 Bridgwater - Crewe CLS Spetchley 4587

6006 or 9009?

:D

(I know it's 9009 from the flickr detail)

• Funny 3

It's interesting how they've displayed the number on the new wagon hoods.

They've used the last 4 digits before the check digit (which technically is correct). However, TOPS doesn't have enough characters to display the whole number and the check digit, so 11 70 9229 009-9 is shown in TOPS as 7092290099. As a result, most people who use TOPS would expect to see the roof number as 0099, or 009-9, not 9009. 

When I said interesting, I suppose it is in a weird way, if you're used to dealing with wagon numbers...

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I never understood why the original FNAs needed replacing....it if was running gear they could have been re-bogied and I can't think there were corrosion issues as they were made out of stainless steel.

4 hours ago, pheaton said:

I never understood why the original FNAs needed replacing....it if was running gear they could have been re-bogied and I can't think there were corrosion issues as they were made out of stainless steel.

Is it because there's more decommissioning work? I guess as decommissioning progresses the NDA wants to empty out the ponds.

I understood the spent fuel was stored in cooling ponds at the power station sites so that when they were transported to Sellafield they were cooler* as there had been some decay of the radioactivity.

*The fuel rods were still very hot hence the cooling fins on all four sides of the Magnox and AGR flasks. 

Just now, 25901 said:

Useless fact of the day, the world's last operating Magnox reactor at Wylfa Unit 1 closed on the 30 December 2015.

I know, I drive past it most days. It took until last September to clear all the spent fuel rods though.

Where I work one department does a lot of works for Springfields and the work is ramping up while another department has just done an order of engine valve springs ( 1000 off ) for Ruston CSVT power units to a PO Box in Crewe. Busy times !

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old topic.

Doing some research, it looks like not all the FNAs carried numbers on their roof. In the last 10 - 15 years of DRS use before they were scrapped, it looks pretty conclusively that if the wagon had the full number on the ends of the hoods, it did not have the large roof number. If the hood ends only had the last two digits painted on, then it does have the roof numbers.

So, 31 on the end, large number on the roof, 550050 on the end, no number on the roof!

Jo