Mk1 BSO and FO in the late 1980s and early 1990s

sub39h

Hi all, and Happy New Year.

I’m interested in adding some of Hornby’s Mk1 BSOs and FOs to my rakes of Mk1 coaches for a bit of variety. My area of interest is around Birmingham from 1988 to 1994ish. 

By this stage was there anywhere in the country where BR was still regularly using the Mk1 BSO or FO? I know a lot of the FOs were transferred to InterCity Charter services, but I’m looking more at regular passenger duties, if there were any. 

What sort of services were these coaches used in please? 

Thanks in advance.

FO

According to the 1988 ABC 3045 was in the Provincial General pool at Heaton notes say it was declassified, but retained its number. 3121 and 3124 were also noted as declassified at Upperby but in the Intercity Charter pool. 3605/6/8 were in the same pool at Upperby but renumbered as well as declassified. 

BSO

Four vehicles listed, all in Scotland. Three BSO(T) - 9007 at Inverness and 9015/16 at Polmadie (presumably for services between Glasgow/Carlisle/Stranraer). One BSO - 9227 at Inverness

IIRC by 1990 there was one, maybe 2 BSO(T) remaining in 1990 but at that time the only FOs in service were charter coaches.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, ChrisH-UK said:

FO

According to the 1988 ABC 3045 was in the Provincial General pool at Heaton notes say it was declassified, but retained its number. 3121 and 3124 were also noted as declassified at Upperby but in the Intercity Charter pool. 3605/6/8 were in the same pool at Upperby but renumbered as well as declassified. 

BSO

Four vehicles listed, all in Scotland. Three BSO(T) - 9007 at Inverness and 9015/16 at Polmadie (presumably for services between Glasgow/Carlisle/Stranraer). One BSO - 9227 at Inverness

IIRC by 1990 there was one, maybe 2 BSO(T) remaining in 1990 but at that time the only FOs in service were charter coaches.

That’s very informative. Thank you.

So I’ll take that to mean BSOs (or BSO(T)s) will not have been seen in the West Midlands. 

That solitary declassified FO in the Provincial pool, any idea what sort of services it would have worked?

Thanks again 

1 hour ago, sub39h said:

So I’ll take that to mean BSOs (or BSO(T)s) will not have been seen in the West Midlands. 

That solitary declassified FO in the Provincial pool, any idea what sort of services it would have worked?

Thanks again 

I can tell you that 9016 made it to Reading.  I remember seeing it come in with 31101 on the front. Think it was in a rake of about 5 coaches.  I was so surprised to see it, it's something I have never forgotten!  It came in from the Didcot direction so I imagine it will have worked its way through Birmingham.  Around 1990 I think.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/01/2020 at 09:48, sub39h said:

Thanks again 

Found a P5 books for 1990 which have 9007 allocated to Fort William for steam stuff and 9016 allocated to Upperby, the spring edition has it in the pool for Settle & Carlisle trains, the summer ed has it in an Intercity stored for withdrawal pool. It could well have ended up in a relief train or substituting for an out-of-service brake vehicle.

I don't have much idea what the Heaton FO would have worked, I don't know what local services remained loco-hauled, which would leave the Newcastle & Middlesborough transpennine services maybe.

• Informative/Useful 2