Uerdinger - Modernising Erdinger (CM Sept 2014)

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, 

Have leapt into the world of actually doing some modelling during my recent Cake Box - see below: 

I've decided to uncover and progress with my HO German layout Erdinger which was built by Roger Nicholls and I purchased at Derby Exhibition in 2015. It has since lain dormant after some half hearted attempts to convert point operation from the rear to the front of the layout. Also the removal of the over centre spring for tortoise operation but this wasn't pursued and ruined the reliabillity of the Code 100 Switch blade electrical connection... So the layout was left in a corner and abandoned. 

Well not any more, actual serious modelling has begun and with no current project now the cakebox is done it's time to modernise Erdinger - which will be getting: 

Code 75 Electrofrog points with tortoise motors

DCC Opperation 

S&W Couplings

Maybe some hand built track

A new name (Urdinger - as in the railbus and gin brand) to differentiate from the original layout which none of which was my own work and the upgraded / bodged around with by me layout!)  

Who knows what else will occur / happen / change on the journey but thought I'd start a thread to share with you my trials and tribulations of the track re-laying. The project is being regarded as a practise / training run for a 70s UK quarry at some far off point but for now here goes... Of course each section / building / element will potentially altered / modified / upgraded, trying to view the project as tiny jobs that don't ruin the whole layout I can just chip-away at it slowly... 

Thanks
Ralf

This highlights the differences between Code 100 and 75... Seeing as the sidings will need droppers adding to the track it was decided to lift them and re-lay rather than regret packing the Code 75 up with card at a later date... 

IMG_6938.JPG.55cf2a6bc95c7d7e720188859ed475c3.JPG

The pair of Y points behind the signal box will be replaced with a single slip which is a little shorter but much easier for DCC operation... 

IMG_6953.JPG.05991dcc6bcface1af45e24b1eeaf5ae.JPG

A quick play with an Exactoscale insulating rail joiner - before the rail ends were cleaned up (well it hasn't happened yet but it will) 

IMG_6955.JPG.93cec0799e8c65b2898baeb261e083e5.JPG

Edited by Ralf
There was an extra-wide photo lurking at the bottom!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some slow progress made, 1 set of points and 2 sidings relayed just awaiting some glue but all done electrically. 

But why is it every surface available soon looks like this: 

IMG_7136.jpg.3edee25141d5bc986718dbb640bb613b.jpg

IMG_7145.JPG.a2b1e497bdc6d46ca867ccbef6f6432a.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG.265523b86cf9f11d921bbb4e9efa4e73.JPG

And I never knew that any Germany breweries got Ruston 48DS's!! lol 

IMG_7141.JPG.564104865b741d6ef778f394887a4d0c.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slowly work is progressing, to make DCC easier instead of a pair of short Peco Y Points I opted for their shorter single slip, without considering the geometry being different... So it'll be trimmed back (I've taken 3 sleepers worth off the single slip since the photo) a I'm going to handbuild a short section of track to shoe horn it in, hopefully running qualities will be adequate! The dog leg will be hidden behind the signal box which hopefully will disguise it from most angles... 

As the geometry is different both all surround track will need relaid / realigned / bodged to get it all joined back up, but the aim is that there's not too much down time or destruction so as to be able to play trains during construction so interest does run away and leave me! 

Cheers

Ralf

IMG_7402.JPG.fa9bc48d4ff918db7bfbdf6f3af0a4a3.JPG

• Like 2