Disposing of photographic collection

Adam1701D

• RMweb Gold

In 2020, I will be moving to Spain and thus have to drastically downsize my railway interests. I have amassed quite a large photo collection, with albums dating from the mid 1980s until the early 90s and a lot of loose photos after that. Unfortunately, I will not have room to move or store these and would like to dispose of the images to an interested person or organisation.

From 1987 to 1997 I worked for BR at Kings Cross and Peterborough and many of the images are London-based covering the transition to sectorisation and various new liveries. A lot of the images were taken with a modeller's eye and also an eye to the future with the electrification of the ECML getting a lot of focus.

If anyone can help me pass this collection on to someone who would appreciate it, I would be so grateful. It is way too large to post, so would need collecting from Peterborough.

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Personally I would first offer them to a publisher of some sort so they don't disappear forever.

Mike.

One issue with that is publishers cannot store huge amounts of photos so they will be quickly sorted, the exceptional ones kept and all the others binned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the replies and offers. I have offered the collection to the HMRS, who I'm sure will be excellent custodians.

It's sad to have to part with these memories but the sacrifice will be well worth it.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm slowly disposing of my collection of feeble efforts by scanning and posting them freely on here, as no one in my family are interested in them in the least, i might as well share them with folks who are. I'm just going through my classic vehicles and old bus collections this week. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...