Egger-Bahn technical information wanted

Dick Clark

Hi - would anyone have any information regarding how to disassemble the Egger-Bahn 'Steam Coach', catalogue number 1010? I just acquired one second-hand and it runs well but rather noisily! If I could get it to run more quietly that would be great, but also I want to respray it, improve the windows and add a few passengers and crew. Before I start experimenting I just wonder if anyone might have proper instructions. With thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to remove the coach roof first then the roof over the cab. The coach roof is held in by the windows. You need to press them in to release the roof. The cab roof is the same with the windows at the front plus a clip at the rear. From memory the chassis drops out with the screw underneath and the cab section is held to the coach with the pivot pin which pushes out.

I haven't done this one but have done several other Eggerbahn locos and for something that old I think they were very well made.  The only generic problem I have found is that the pickups tend to be worn and I haven't found a good source or replacements. Noise normally seems to come from the armature, if you can get it out and give it a good clean with Iso-propyl alcohol and a soft baby toothbrush then re lubricate it with a synthetic oil it should go quite a bit quieter. 

The problem you might find is that it is probably 40 years old now and if it has been well used the bearings might be slightly scored and that is going to be difficult to fix.

Another issue is the brushes might be worn and loser in their holders, so free to vibrate more and get a bit noisier. Unfortunately short of replacing them I can't think of a solution for that. :-(

Grot in the armature can make them noisey, try a bit of alcohol on a cotton but to shift that, or very VERY carefully clear the grooves out with a pin.

Good luck, I am on the look out for a good one one of those too.

Stephen

Edit: Just a though, I have seen one of those with a Transfabriek motor upgrade and it was incredibly smooth, I can't remember what it sounded like but they are normally very quiet. https://tramfabriek.nl/motors.html

The owner is very helpful and will offer very good advice if yo ask. It should cost around £30 but will run like a dream afterwards.

Edited by Stephen Rainsbury