Fitting working levers to a ScaleScenes signal box.

That's a great piece of work !  I wonder who will get the most pleasure from it - you making it or him using it.

Nine years ago, when my eldest grandchild was 5, I made him a small model railway for Christmas after he showed interest in mine. Sadly that interest only lasted a few weeks. (He was possibly too young and I should have waited another year or two.)

I hope that your grandson's interest will last much longer.

• Like 1

Thanks Robert.

My grandson is 7 years old so I think the extra couple of years makes a difference. He has been interested in my 0 gauge stuff for a few years and wants to get involved. The old Kitmaster/Airfix kits, now Dapol are great for children his age. If they don't come together well nothing much is lost. 

A lesson I learnt was not to get over enthusiastic. I found out the hard way that this had put off his father (my son) when he was young. We bought my grandson a Metcalfe loco shed kit which my son and grandson did together igniting and re-igniting interests. It was wonderful to see.

I teach my grandson (and granddaughter)  how to use with safety some of my tools in my workshop. We have two important workshop rules:

Rule 1:  No messing about.

Rule 2:  No-one is allowed to say "I can't do it".

Only time will tell what will come of it all. I suspect they may end up doing 3D computer modelling for which they are already showing an aptitude - and to think I was 15 before I laid hands on a typewriter keyboard let alone a computer!

Ian.

• Like 5

Thanks Terry.

There is a little space between the controller and lever frame so he can drive the loco and his sister can operate the lever frame or vice versa. If he invites you to drive whilst he signals you have to be prepared to be told off for SPADs!

Ian. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 13:31, Ian Major said:

Thanks Robert.

My grandson is 7 years old so I think the extra couple of years makes a difference. He has been interested in my 0 gauge stuff for a few years and wants to get involved. The old Kitmaster/Airfix kits, now Dapol are great for children his age. If they don't come together well nothing much is lost. 

A lesson I learnt was not to get over enthusiastic. I found out the hard way that this had put off his father (my son) when he was young. We bought my grandson a Metcalfe loco shed kit which my son and grandson did together igniting and re-igniting interests. It was wonderful to see.

I teach my grandson (and granddaughter)  how to use with safety some of my tools in my workshop. We have two important workshop rules:

Rule 1:  No messing about.

Rule 2:  No-one is allowed to say "I can't do it".

Only time will tell what will come of it all. I suspect they may end up doing 3D computer modelling for which they are already showing an aptitude - and to think I was 15 before I laid hands on a typewriter keyboard let alone a computer!

Ian.

I agree with your approach totally, Ian. My dad showed my brother and I how to use tools safely from an early age and modelmaking has been one of my favourite activities since childhood. My own daughter also made models from an early age, progressing from basic cardboard box houses, for her collection of plastic animals, to detailed scale buildings when she was a teenager. Now she is happily working in the digital games industry as an illustrator and designer!

Marlyn

• Like 1