Paul Lunn's 'Sheffield layout design'

• RMweb Premium

I remember that well - I always thought it was an excellent idea and fancied building it myself.

The article was in Model Rail a very long time ago - I kept the issue but somebody borrowed it and it never came back.  The same article also appeared more recently in one of the layout planning bookzines.  I do have it but a friend has it at the moment.  If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll send you the details when I get it back (probably at the end of Feb).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Traintresta said:

I believe I have this in a magazine at home, if I am recalling the correct one. I’ll bring it to work on Monday and scan it. 

funnily enough I’m using it as the basis for a layout right now. 

I’m looking forward to seeing your layout.

Strangely enough, having reread the article before lending the bookzine to a friend, I then started to think about how he could develop it.  Then suddenly I had an idea for a layout too - which might get built in a year or two (when I’ve finished the current layout).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi peak experience, did you get sorted with the article on Sheffield?  Have been really busy on Model Rail work and couldn't respond in detail earlier.  Fortunately, I've got a short breathing space before the next piece of work.  I'm really pleased to see how much interest there's been in the design and would love to see progress by any of the potential builders on this topic.  Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any advice.  Kind regards Paul (Lunn) 

Edited by Dzine
typo
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Please note, in the front of the magazine there is a note about copyright - if you are thinking of scanning something in an posting it here, this note applies to you. If you think the law doesn't apply to you, it does.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dzine said:

Don't worry Phil,  If I do it there won't be a problem, artwork, photo's and text copyright is mine. Kind regards Paul  

Which goes to confirm my impression having met Paul and his wife years ago at an RMWeb event (when they were in Stafford) what a lovely and helpful chap he is.

• Agree 2

On 30/01/2020 at 20:40, Dzine said:

Hi peak experience, did you get sorted with the article on Sheffield?  Have been really busy on Model Rail work and couldn't respond in detail earlier.  Fortunately, I've got a short breathing space before the next piece of work.  I'm really pleased to see how much interest there's been in the design and would love to see progress by any of the potential builders on this topic.  Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any advice.  Kind regards Paul (Lunn) 

Hi Paul, I haven't yet. I don't get online often so I've just checked back in on my thread and seen your reply. 

Hi peak experience,  I'll have a look in my study and see if I can find the article.  It's a bit of a bomb site in there following a substantial micro layout project, so might take a little while.  Will get back to you as soon as I can.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 1

Hi peak experience, managed to find the article and is attached.  I recommend you work out the track plan first, at full size, using track and or peco point templates and of course checking the stock you want to use fits on appropriate lines.  If not, adjust the baseboard size slightly.  Hope this helps.  Kind regards Paul

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/01/2020 at 21:39, caradoc said:

Paul Lunn's Sheffield idea features in Model Rail's 'Ideas for Layouts Volume 3 of 2017', although oddly the article is titled Sheffield Victoria when it is clearly actually Sheffield Midland !

That sort of thing does make it hard to find.

Just looked in the online index of Model Rail (issue 161) and that makes no reference to Sheffield at all!

As the index is currently looking for a new compiler, that presumably isn't going to be updated soon.

On 04/02/2020 at 13:57, Dzine said:

Hi peak experience, managed to find the article and is attached.  I recommend you work out the track plan first, at full size, using track and or peco point templates and of course checking the stock you want to use fits on appropriate lines.  If not, adjust the baseboard size slightly.  Hope this helps.  Kind regards Paul

I very much appreciate your help Paul. 

Kindest Regards.