Moseley heritage museum

As a NG modeller I model in both 4-7mm. My steam locomotives tend to be in 4mm and my diesel locos in 7mm. After establishing myself with a fairly decent size 009 layout (still under construction) I discovered 09 gauge, and couldn’t resist building a layout. It isn’t by no means complete, but It has allowed my to get familia with the scale.

As I love a bit of a challenge I thought I would see if I could build a 7mm cakebox challenge in a week. Unfortunately by day 4 life managed to get itself in the way, and it came to a screeching halt. With two days remaining in the cakebox challenge I’m going to see if I can get this finished.

During the summer I visited the incredible Moseley heritage museum in Redruth, Cornwall. I would strongly recommend visiting on one of their open days, especially if you have an interest in old mining locomotives. The museum has a  substantial collection of small battery mechanical and diesel mining locomotives and bits of stock, old tippers etc. They have about a mile of track and a few sidings. It is a private collection I believe and it is run with the aid of volunteers. Which were extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I was staggered as to how great this almost secret little railway was, and chuffed that I had found it. I mean they have a working three way point. I will definitely be returning at some point in he future. 

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

So an amazingly awesome place that I came away from fit to burst with ideas and inspiration. It seemed obvious that a cakebox challenge was the perfect format to get some of these ideas out. I had a three way point hat I purchased from eBay a year or so ago. It wouldn’t be useable, but the plan was to see if I could build a working version of the three way point myself.... The answer to that was no, but anyway I thought I could use it on a diorama all the same. 

FB6A3807-6856-4B89-8C8A-83DC13CFA862.jpeg

Edited by PAT JAYA 185
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is fantastic - there's no rule that says a build has to be "finished" to be entered - or that you can't add more later:  you could email Phil some words and photos as it stands for the competition deadline, and then carry on at your leisure to complete the model as you'd like. Just a suggestion.

3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

This is fantastic - there's no rule that says a build has to be "finished" to be entered - or that you can't add more later:  you could email Phil some words and photos as it stands for the competition deadline, and then carry on at your leisure to complete the model as you'd like. Just a suggestion.

That is a fair shout, but I think I will rise to the challenge and get it completed, even if there are a few bits to complete after it’s been entered. painting is currently underway.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PAT JAYA 185 said:

That’s odd, they were working fine yesterday. I’ll repost them....

Hi

Where are they from as the links don't seem to comform to normal parameters?

Is it a link to a third party website?

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, PAT JAYA 185 said:

During the summer I visited the incredible Moseley heritage museum in Redruth, Cornwall. I would strongly recommend visiting on one of their open days, especially if you have an interest in old mining locomotives. The museum has a  substantial collection of small battery mechanical and diesel mining locomotives and bits of stock, old tippers etc. They have about a mile of track and a few sidings. It is a private collection I believe and it is run with the aid of volunteers. Which were extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I was staggered as to how great this almost secret little railway was, and chuffed that I had found it. I mean they have a working three way point. I will definitely be returning at some point in he future. 

It is a fantastic museum and those who run it are very friendly. The collection of old models is also worth mentioning. Lots of railways and Meccano. The museum also houses a replica of the Murdoc flyer.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have made some good progress today, even though I have also had work. This was the final results of last nights progress. All I have left on the diorama is a little painting, then add the foliage and two glass window panes. Then I’ve got to build couplings and paint the loco. It might not seem to much, but it’s definitely going to be a rush to the end! 

13627B31-25B9-4BF2-B345-75B3E2214ACA.jpeg

F473DBD3-6C96-412A-A2FE-C54004067932.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kris said:

It is a fantastic museum and those who run it are very friendly. The collection of old models is also worth mentioning. Lots of railways and Meccano. The museum also houses a replica of the Murdoc flyer.  

To be honest It was quite late in the day when I visited, and most of the MR stuff wasn’t running, but I had a quick scan through the vintage toys and trains. It was a very impressive collection of both real trains and toy trains. I did take a few pictures actually. 

06CC3590-E30C-46AE-A3A6-C1A9B55914BE.jpeg

• Like 1