Nellie's New Railway - A 1963 BLT

Nearholmer

Many thanks, yes a bilteezi dairy (factory?) would be very welcome, ditto the SCATS one (interesting that you confirm my suspicion that it is actually later than the rest).

I will PM you.

Your comment really made me chuckle, because I’m in serious “hoard downsizing” mode currently, and am finding that only brutal culling actually makes any dent in it.

Kevin

• Friendly/supportive 3

Too blooming busy this week!

The converter wagons arrived though, so now at least I can shunt with my now-total of three wagons. These have proved that the wheels on Triang ‘open axle box’ wagons will go through the points happily.

Chaps in the Dublo/Wrenn part of RMWeb are briefing me on essential things too, so expect more of that sort of thing soon.

A31FD5BF-E4B1-4A85-A051-C64C29ABD13D.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

Nothing productive to report on the toy train front, although I have swapped my very early Rail Modellers for a bound volume of 1963.

excellent, even if it will have to live in the railway/utility room because it smells very fusty.

Proved my memory correct on a BR Black version of Nellie. A starter-set only job, probably mega-collectible these days, but dead-easy to fake.

0F8F7650-B5CB-43D9-9863-8D175B70510C.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

Here, I think might be the sad demise of Nellie.

1983, and instead of a dignified old age, she seems to have been deprived of innards and turned into a push-along!

That's a pity, but explains why we didn't get a re-issue as part of the Hornby 100 celebrations this year.  Shame, I'd have liked to have seen a new Nellie, though I suppose the moulds were probably junked for the scrap value...

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Nothing productive to report on the toy train front, although I have swapped my very early Rail Modellers for a bound volume of 1963.

excellent, even if it will have to live in the railway/utility room because it smells very fusty.

Proved my memory correct on a BR Black version of Nellie. A starter-set only job, probably mega-collectible these days, but dead-easy to fake.

Does your bound volume include the covers and adverts Kevin? Most don't, which is why I prefer individual copies.

• Agree 1

Ads and covers included - it’s one of those sets bound by RM themselves into a special cover using what amounts to thin string.

like you, I prefer ‘with’, because the ads themselves both carry information and convey period.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

From what I can see, the loco on the box illustration looks somewhat different from the model inside. How close is the resemblance?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The one on the box looks like the old clockwork shunter:

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/clock040Black.htm

That's what I thought. The box interior, though, does seem to have been updated to fit Nellie, as I can't see a redundant cutout for the big spring housing that was such a feature of the boiler top on the clockwork loco. 

• Agree 2

Thanks to a bit of light ‘chequebook modelling’ conducted from the pitch-side at son’s footy match this morning, the ‘test vehicles’ are now ‘resident vehicles’.

It begins to look exactly like my 0 layout, only smaller. Good!

DEE038C2-159E-4AE7-A057-889B4FF28E6C.jpeg

• Like 10

Regarding the Bilteezi kits

The SCATS warehouse was first printed in the August 1982 edition of Scale Trains.  The artwork was by Maurice Bradley ARIBA. 

The Parcels Receiving Office was in The September 1982 Scale Trains, again by Maurice Bradley.  

I believe both of these were 4mm.

There was also a Full colour Scenic background in the October 1982 Scale Trains.  This was a very definitely Cornish Based port and cottages.

Freestone Models currently have the rights to this range.  I believe he is also reintroducing the Prototype Models range of kits.

Another range of kits which may interest you would be the Ratio Wooden Building Kits

Clive

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Thanks to a bit of light ‘chequebook modelling’ conducted from the pitch-side at son’s footy match this morning, the ‘test vehicles’ are now ‘resident vehicles’.

It begins to look exactly like my 0 layout, only smaller. Good!

DEE038C2-159E-4AE7-A057-889B4FF28E6C.jpeg

Shouldn't you be using old-style Mk1 Streamline points? Or how about Wrenn fibre-based track?

Oh, I see. You actually want the thing to work...

Edited by St Enodoc
Edit: remove split infinitive
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

If I had started this from where I am now, I might have used HD track, which was pretty good from what I remember. We used to buy it by post from Hattons a few years later, it being better and cheaper than Triang, which was all we could get locally. Probably stuff that Hattons bought by the lorry load as HD folded. it has different geometry from Peco, and I think it might be a tad bigger than Code 100, I’m not sure.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

If I had started this from where I am now, I might have used HD track, which was pretty good from what I remember. We used to buy it by post from Hattons a few years later, it being better and cheaper than Triang, which was all we could get locally. Probably stuff that Hattons bought by the lorry load as HD folded. it has different geometry from Peco, and I think it might be a tad bigger than Code 100, I’m not sure.

Fair comment. If I were going to do this (which I'm not, no way, believe me, honest guv, even though I've re-created my old Tri-ang collection...) I'd probably go for Tri-ang Super 4 track. I never used it in the old days, having jumped direct from Series 3 to Peco Streamline when Dad bought a job lot from a friend of his, but I think it would look the part.

• RMweb Premium

Back in my late teens/early 20's I used to use second hand HD track as a Peco Streamline substitute.  Back then in pre-internet days getting anything in the way of decent model railway stuff that wasn't the very basic range of Triang models that were imported here into New Zealand involved lots of letter writing and gathering up sheaves of British postal notes which took ages since there was a limit on how many could be purchased in a day.  Driving around all the local post office branches to gather up enough postal notes was always a prelude to sending off any order.

I liked the HD track for its neat and realistic appearance as compared to Triang Super 4 and Series 3 that was all that was available here back then.  One thing that the lack of anything in the shops did do for me though was introduce me to scratchbuilding models very early on which I feel was certainly a good thing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Fair comment. If I were going to do this (which I'm not, no way, believe me, honest guv, even though I've re-created my old Tri-ang collection...) I'd probably go for Tri-ang Super 4 track. I never used it in the old days, having jumped direct from Series 3 to Peco Streamline when Dad bought a job lot from a friend of his, but I think it would look the part.

In my collection of older parts I have several Peco Individulay point kits, as well as some ABC plain track along with lots of Peco track components for fibre track building, that was my idea for building a small retro layout using a Freezer plan from 60 small track plan booklet

• Like 3

Annie

you've made me remember Postal Orders, which was the UK name for ‘postal notes’.

Liverpool being in the same country, we weren’t subject to currency export restrictions, but certainly had to go and buy a PO for any order we sent off, which I think came in fixed denominations, with odd bits made up by sticking postage stamps to them.

Noticeable how the 1963 RMs that I’m reading contain adverts trying to encourage readers to open bank accounts and get a cheque book ....... hardly anyone seemed to have one then.

K

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

From memory the proper name for them was 'Postal Orders', but here in the colonies we tended to call them postal notes.  We're very much spoilt now with only having to go on a website, pick out what we want and make a sacrifice to the goddess Visa to make a purchase.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just been going through my coach bogie box. I have a stash of quite a few mainly part made old wooden coaches (Ratio, CCW and Kins Cross) and have amassed quite a few cast and whitemetal bogies as bogies were extra when these coaches were bought, The Better ones being CCW and BSL well that's what I have written. I must decide which ones to keep in both bodies and bogies and dispose of the rest. Some of the bogies I think are 3 rail

As for the bodies, having different liveries each side always makes me smile

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

This is the night mail crossing the Border,
Bringing the cheque and the postal order

W.H. Auden, Night Mail (1936).

I always enjoyed the film - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOj8FBPAXg , but you can quickly pass the introductory spiel - should you so wish.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
getting the link right

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

As for the bodies, having different liveries each side always makes me smile

I did that on a previous layout which had off-stage reversing loops. Some of my locos had different numbers on each side too.

I've got a few Ratio Toplight kits but they probably won't ever get built.

• Like 1