Nellie's New Railway - A 1963 BLT

Nearholmer

Not that it is any of my business, and I know I have Hoarding Tendencies, but I have been disturbed by the degree of ruthlessness you have recently evinced here and in your O Gauge topic.

For God's sake, Man, stop!

If there is one thing that you should chuck out or stick on Ebay, it's the collected works of Marie Kondo, the most balefully egregious load of tosh published since the childless Gina Ford created her baby-torture regime*.

You need to let Ruth, whoever she is, back into your life!

*Other views are available 

EDIT:  Found Ruth ....

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm pretty sure that MK lifted her ideas lock, stock and barrel from a Japanese industrial practice, which probably has much older roots in zen budhism, then slapped a load of cod-psychology over it.

In the best/strictest industrial premises in Japan, they empty the entire place once or twice each year, spend an entire day taking everything outside, then bring it all back, item-by-item, based on its importance to delivering the business, which inevitably results in a big pile of stuff at the end for which there is no useful purpose, which they then throw-away/recycle/give to charity shops so that it can junk-up somebody else's place etc.

One of my bros was party to introducing this where he worked, but at home he is, if anything, a worse hoarder than me: does anyone need about ten working 1950/60s motor-scooters, a further ten "under restoration", three working cars of similar age and a couple half-restored etc etc ???

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

does anyone need about ten working 1950/60s motor-scooters, a further ten "under restoration", three working cars of similar age and a couple half-restored etc etc ???

Well, i don't/wouldn't, but I'll happily respect the evident fact that he does!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just so.

No paying work demanding attention, and domestic tasks dodged for a few hours, so a bit of progress to report today.

Fitted all the dropper/tail wires, and was able to test everything by ‘croc clipping’ across the board joint.

684E2FFB-8F79-4106-BADD-1DB5D018F6E6.jpeg.69b6cd4f865e0247eb37f5e95de5fbbc.jpeg

Only one problem, caused by the very fragile ‘frog dropper’ falling off a ‘unifrog’ point, which meant that I had to add a couple of bonds in-situ.

All works fine now, even with just rail-contact at the points. I will fit switches, though, as I fit point actuation, when I’ve decided what that will consist of.

Trains, or rather trams.

Two dirt cheap Corgi die casts, which I think have great potential, either to be motorised as electric or petrol cars, or simply to be fitted with better wheels and be hauled as per Wantage etc. The castings are actually very good, but the paint is the usual thick gloss, so that will come off if I decide to use these.

10C684A3-9B9E-41F7-8440-5B70E2B26428.jpeg.705480b1ab1263156a33c8f49dc642bc.jpeg

There seem to be hundreds of these around at prices from £3 to about £12, and they are good representations of Dick Kerr cars, so I’m surprised I’ve never seen one co-opted onto a 00 light railway before.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yes, a lot of potential for S scale modellers, it would appear!

The blasted things are 1:64 scale. I got suspicious looking at the driver fitted to one. He seems about right for 4mm scale, but looks too small for the tram, so I did a bit of googling. Trams really are very dainty compared with even small railway stock.

Back to the plastic kits if I decide to pursue the electric idea.

Good job they were dirt cheap.

Anybody want a couple of trams?

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

The Unicorn, our local pub, had one of them on bricks in a paddock round the side. It served as a pavilion for the bowls club, I think it was ex Wolverhampton Corporation. Perhaps you can tuck them in a corner as a scenic adjunct?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, a lot of potential for S scale modellers, it would appear!

The blasted things are 1:64 scale. I got suspicious looking at the driver fitted to one. He seems about right for 4mm scale, but looks too small for the tram, so I did a bit of googling. Trams really are very dainty compared with even small railway stock.

Back to the plastic kits if I decide to pursue the electric idea.

Good job they were dirt cheap.

Anybody want a couple of trams?

Kevin

Not all is lost, they have given you an idea and shown a potential addition you could have on your layout, as you have said buy a couple of cheap plastic kits and move on

Two such kits are already ‘in stash’.

But, as Don has gently pointed-out, my mind does tend to wander (the penalty for being interested in virtually everything!) and when it comes a low-cost offshoot of hobby activity I feel no need to constrain it by focusing, so who knows what this layout will end-up like - I certainly don’t!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well you have got running Peckham trucks, so hopefully the body comes off and you can then substitute the kit bodies on to them. Those plastic kits have really difficult to wheel trucks...

Andy G

There was an article a few years ago in RM on motorising the Corgi(?) trams. IIRC it was fairly simple and resulted in a very nice model. Can't comment on the scaling issues though. 

Borrowed from a guy I work with, whose father they belong to, in order to test whether HD runs through the points.

Smooth as a nut!

02C87887-5657-4FDD-BB35-412338518815.jpeg.2fcba569b71db3c6808291e1b439b06b.jpeg

The tin coach particularly is so entirely my kind of thing, and the loco is pretty good - a better gear-ratio than Nellie.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Kevin,

I will now stop looking for the "unfound" H-D wagon. Glad to hear you have the answer - but if you had asked a year back you could have had a pair of the green suburban coaches!

Have you taken a picture of the R1 and Nellie together? - I suspect it might show up quite how big a girl Nellie really is.

Regards

Chris H

Say la vee, Rodney, say la vee!

A year ago I had no idea I was going to build a 00 layout ...... it was seeing Nellie lurking at the back of the cupboard a few weeks ago that set this off.

There is now a strong likelihood that rather than becoming a Nelliebahn, this will become “The 1963 BLT”, a concept that I’ve had lurking in my head for ages. The rule would be to use anything that was on the market in 1963, either original material or things like Airfix/Dapol kits and Superquick which are still made now.

1963 seems a good year to choose, because the HD bubble was at its largest, and Triang were producing some quite respectable things in competition. I think Trix and possibly Farish too, but what their wheel profile was I’m not sure.

Reference material: https://archive.org/details/RailwayModellerJanuary1963/page/n31/mode/1up

Deliberately (slightly) old-fashioned 00 gauge really.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

National Treasures all.

A couple more links to feed the nostalgia bugs:

The Triang range was rather extensive and still growing fast: http://hornbyguide.com/year_details.asp?yearid=48

And, this is probably the best one, Hornby Dublo 2-rail catalogue: http://img.chem.ucl.ac.uk/dublo/d63a/d63s2.htm

Navigation of the HD catalogue site is rather quirky, but once you get use to it you can get full-screen single pages for multiple years, instruction leaflets etc.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 22:46, Nearholmer said:

No progress on the Nelliebahn, apart from fantasising about trains, for most of last week, because I had some sort of low-grade lurgy that made me feel exceptionally tired and achy all the time ....... thank goodness that's gone, so maybe a bit of progress this week.

However, my attempt at cupboard de-cluttering has revealed some potentially very distracting things in a biscuit tin. These I cannot bear to throw to the mercies of eBay; they are just too cute! 

I have a great weakness for very small German locomotives, so there is a danger that this could become a Nellie, Dock Shunter und Feldbahn.

and why not?

Les

• Agree 1

• Nearholmer changed the title to Nellie's New Railway - Deliberately Old-Fashioned 00