Nellie's New Railway - A 1963 BLT

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I suggest the now largely forgotten, once popular destination of Thistledome

Thistledome and Fishoek, Railway of the Month, Railway Modeller, June 1967.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

The second, if memory serves, being “named for its counterpart in Cape Province”

which seemed rather incongruous as the model represented B.R. Southern Region IIRC.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

My few square feet of plywood don't have a name yet, but I'm thinking that they might become 'Larking'.

It sums-up the non-earnest nature of this endeavour, sounds plausibly like a village of Saxon origin (there are oodles of 'ings' in Sussex and Suffolk, a fair few in Kent, and they are thinly spread in other counties too), and I can't find a place called 'Larking' on any map.

Wanting, Starvling and Foundling are other possibilities, but sound less cheerful. Ditto Howling, which Stella Gibbons invented for Cold Comfort Farm.

Other 'ings' could be created, but quite a few of them are either lewd, or bordering on it. Even the real ones are interesting, Fulking for instance.

Could always add a 'den', 'tun' or a 'ham' at the end.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

My few square feet of plywood don't have a name yet, but I'm thinking that they might become 'Larking'.

It sums-up the non-earnest nature of this endeavour, sounds plausibly like a village of Saxon origin (there are oodles of 'ings' in Sussex and Suffolk, a fair few in Kent, and they are thinly spread in other counties too), and I can't find a place called 'Larking' on any map.

Wanting, Starvling and Foundling are other possibilities, but sound less cheerful. Ditto Howling, which Stella Gibbons invented for Cold Comfort Farm.

Other 'ings' could be created, but quite a few of them are either lewd, or bordering on it. Even the real ones are interesting, Fulking for instance.

Could always add a 'den', 'tun' or a 'ham' at the end.

Perfick!

Fetching might work, or Watching. You could also add 'dean', 'dene' or 'bury'.

Speaking of Fulking, the Shepherd and Dog was one of our favourite pubs about 35 years ago. Is it still going and is it still any good?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2020 at 09:21, St Enodoc said:

The passing station was called Winter-under-Ware.

On the A38 heading towards Burton, one passes a sign for the turning for Barton and Walton. The former is in the shade of the Needwood; the later stands on the banks of the mighty Trent. Both prepositions are shortened to -u- leading to some confusion: Walton-under-Trent? As far as I've heard, the level of the Trent has not been too badly affected by Ciara and Dennis.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks to the kindness and cupboards of RMWebbers (you know who you are!) the signature items for a 1963 are swiftly coming together.

This missing ingredient over the past three weeks has been time, so if anyone has had a box of that tucked-away for the past 50+ years, I’d be interested in trading it.

If it was February 1963, we’d all be fed-up with the freezing cold, and coal and vegetable shortages instead of worrying about Coronavirus and bemoaning the constant rain - choice??

618DA671-EE2C-483B-AD69-1F1F502821F6.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2020 at 10:00, St Enodoc said:

Shouldn't you be using old-style Mk1 Streamline points? Or how about Wrenn fibre-based track?

Oh, I see. You actually want the thing to work...

Here's an example of the points I mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peco-Streamline-SL-99X-Left-Hand-vintage-turnout-point-boxed-leaflet-1960s/254527747586?hash=item3b43093602:g:4EYAAOSwRsJeW9FN

No,I wont be bidding, thanks all the same.

If I see that correctly, and the big black bit is plastic, rather than tarnished metal, it must hold some sort of record for deadness of frog.

While here, apologies for lack of progress on the 1963 BLT ...... heavily distracted by paying work and non-paying 0 gauge.

I keep

looking at that Bilteezi factory kit and thinking: photocopier set to 7:4 enlargement.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If I see that correctly, and the big black bit is plastic, rather than tarnished metal, it must hold some sort of record for deadness of frog.

You do, it is and it probably does, although Formoway would be in the running too.

With those early versions the blades were not hinged so there was little to hold them over, meaning that not only were they susceptible to loss of electrical continuity but they caused a lot of derailments too.

Having said that, they were probably the best value in 1962.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Pretty much “state of the art” in the 1960s..

76160D2B-35E5-4221-BA19-80DA299D86CC.png.c2983722603494c96250f26bf8ae112f.png

6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Super 4 was indeed ‘state of the art’ but not until mid 60s.  1962 was still Series 3.

Paul.

"State of the art" for sectional track yes, but for flexible track Streamline (b. 1962) and Formoway (and even more so the later Liveway) held the Blue Riband.

• Agree 1