Looking for recommendations

Hi,

I'm currently using AutoCAD Electrical 2018 to do various 2D drawings for my railway, mainly electrical schematics and 2D orthogonal drawings for buildings and veroboard layouts. I got it when I was a student on a 3 year licence, which expires in September.

I'm starting to look for a replacement for it, that is preferably either free or has a one off fee rather than a subscription. 

It would need to be able to import Autodesk DWG/DXF file types as I have a number of CAD files that I've built up over the years that I would rather keep rather than redraw. I also have Autodesk TrueView, so it isn't too onerous to covert files. I'm not too fussed about 3D modelling, although it would be nice to have if possible.

Does anybody have any suggestions I could take a look at?

Thanks 

Robert

I use Draftsight, which has always been free, and is a 'copy' of Autocad light. However they have just gone over yo a subscription based model, and the existing programs are supposed to cease functioning as from 31.12.19. However, mine are still going strong!

When Draftsight announced their move to subscription,  I dug around and found NanoCAD which is also a clone of AutoCAD LT.   The free version download is at the bottom of this web page

https://nanocad.com/products/

Their other paid-for products are also shown on that page.

I've been using the free version for the past year and it's quite close to ACAD LT and Draftsight with a few slight variations.

Jim.

1 hour ago, flubrush said:

When Draftsight announced their move to subscription,  I dug around and found NanoCAD which is also a clone of AutoCAD LT.   The free version download is at the bottom of this web page

https://nanocad.com/products/

Their other paid-for products are also shown on that page.

I've been using the free version for the past year and it's quite close to ACAD LT and Draftsight with a few slight variations.

Jim.

Another vote for nanocad here.

It is very similar to AutoCAD; especially an AutoCAD of a few years ago.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for LibraCAD from me.

Whilst I use PCB CAD a lot, I have never used any mechanical CAD software at all until now. I did look at DraftSight but they then announced their new subscription requirements (before I started learning the package) and so switched to LibraCAD instead.

I've used LibraCAD to make components for my 5" gauge Signal Box lever frame AND to check the geometries too.

I'm now using LibraCAD to create the drawings for machining parts on my new 4-axis StepCraft420 CNC Router.

LibraCADleverEND.png.12384e0b7ef51b7e28a0b7fd112185a7.png

20181109_165945.jpg.95cbc5ea9f07e579c60e969341c449bb.jpg

20181224_155344.jpg.21b827852250fa502e9711c1055fd19d.jpg

20190102_193812.jpg.5c442ba2d9f8c25d5a43bdd985ed6f7b.jpg

Kev.

• Like 1