It looks like it's going to be an excellent layout Tom and a very good looking plan.

I've had something of a fascination with S. Shields after spending the autumn and (very cold) winter of 1969-1970 at college there. I saw the Harton electrics fairly often as they passed under Westoe Road while walking from the guest house we were accomodated in near the Roman Fort to what is now South Tyneside College (then South Shields Marine and Technical College)

I was surprised to discover that it did have a bit of a seafront with a beach, amusements etc. though I was far more fascinated by the apparently recently closed breakwater railway whose train was still in its sidings I never saw it in the summer but I don't think many people spent their holidays there overlooked by Westoe Colliery. but, as a fully developed Edwardian seaside resort, it could certainly claim to be even more bracing than Skegness! A holiday resort so close to heavy industry and mining might seem incongruous but Boulogne once managed it despite its steelworks  and large fishing port, the hotel where M. Hulot spent his holiday was only about three miles from the centre of St. Nazaire  whose shipyards built the Queen Mary 2 and there was of course Barry Island and Docks. 

I rather like the idea of the holidaymakers arriving at S. Shields (Victoria) with their buckets and spades while the Harton electrics trundle and spark beneath their feet.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Very interesting track plan, looks to be an good concept, keep us updated.

A bit of pedantry, it's Chris Pendlenton, but whatever, if you're following his mantra then you won't go far wrong.

Mike.

Thanks for the comments Mike, and for correcting me on Chris's name. To think I have read and re-read his MRJ articles for 30 years and had his name wrong all this time, I am suitably ashamed.

Regards,

Tom

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

It looks like it's going to be an excellent layout Tom and a very good looking plan.

I've had something of a fascination with S. Shields after spending the autumn and (very cold) winter of 1969-1970 at college there. I saw the Harton electrics fairly often as they passed under Westoe Road while walking from the guest house we were accomodated in near the Roman Fort to what is now South Tyneside College (then South Shields Marine and Technical College)

I was surprised to discover that it did have a bit of a seafront with a beach, amusements etc. though I was far more fascinated by the apparently recently closed breakwater railway whose train was still in its sidings I never saw it in the summer but I don't think many people spent their holidays there overlooked by Westoe Colliery. but, as a fully developed Edwardian seaside resort, it could certainly claim to be even more bracing than Skegness! A holiday resort so close to heavy industry and mining might seem incongruous but Boulogne once managed it despite its steelworks  and large fishing port, the hotel where M. Hulot spent his holiday was only about three miles from the centre of St. Nazaire  whose shipyards built the Queen Mary 2 and there was of course Barry Island and Docks. 

I rather like the idea of the holidaymakers arriving at S. Shields (Victoria) with their buckets and spades while the Harton electrics trundle and spark beneath their feet.

Thanks David. I was born and bred in South Shields but paid little attention to the electrics, being so ordinary and always there. I much preferred Tyne Dock or Boldon Colliery station for my spotting activities.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Runs well but you need a louder woof  woof, woof, outod the 9F. Regulator theough the roof and driving on the reverser..

Judith Edge kits do a nive etch for adding steps, door opening handles etc for the hoppers.

Keep up the good work.

Baz

This is brilliant, I shall look forward to reading your progress. I always felt Shields could be so much more than it was, both as a resort and railway wise, I hope you will put in some third rail stock!

Cheers

Ian B

• RMweb Premium

Our home town eh Tom!

Looking forward to this developing, a theme close to my heart.

David 231, you may have been surprised just how busy the beach used to get.  I was born and grew up on the seafront and lived in Shields '59 - 02.

I have a couple of photos somewhere of the Ruston on the Pier, 1976/7 ish.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our home town eh Tom!

Looking forward to this developing, a theme close to my heart.

David 231, you may have been surprised just how busy the beach used to get.  I was born and grew up on the seafront and lived in Shields '59 - 02.

I have a couple of photos somewhere of the Ruston on the Pier, 1976/7 ish.

There's always rust on the pier, it's the salt water wot does it!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• 1 month later...

This looks great and already on its way. I'm from the other side of the mouth, Tynemouth. Will enjoy following the progress. My own effort, Cullerbay and Marden Road (Rmweb) is a fictitious line set somewhere on the N East coastal area.

Lovely.

Regards Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I have finally tired of wiring under the layout, having connected up all the droppers to bus-wires and all the point motors ready to connect to control panels (when I make them). I've yet to do the uncoupling magnets and wiring for future signals. This is one of the least enjoyable parts of the hobby for me even though I'm an electrical engineer. So I succumbed to a bit of  scenic work in the engine shed and the goods yard.

The first picture shows a development away from the original plan where I have added a coal stage from a previous layout to a road coming off the turntable. This is really using the coaling stage as a back scene rather than as a practical solution. The ramp up to the stage will be in low relief and disappears behind the shed. Water cranes, yard lamps and inspection/ash pits can also be seen along with untidy heaps of ash, so common at north east sheds of the period. It all needs further blending in and weathering but it's been a good tonic to wiring.

20200330_195846r.jpg.1d257f3126349e9812d02a87b86be694.jpg

The second photo shows some card cut to fit between the tracks so road vehicles can get close to the wagons. This will be painted and weathered to replicate concrete.

20200330_195338r.jpg.656be898e4441c3cabea62bb0df3391f.jpg

Regards,

Tom

• Like 9

3 hours ago, tom shaw said:

I have finally tired of wiring under the layout, having connected up all the droppers to bus-wires and all the point motors ready to connect to control panels (when I make them). I've yet to do the uncoupling magnets and wiring for future signals. This is one of the least enjoyable parts of the hobby for me even though I'm an electrical engineer. So I succumbed to a bit of  scenic work in the engine shed and the goods yard.

The first picture shows a development away from the original plan where I have added a coal stage from a previous layout to a road coming off the turntable. This is really using the coaling stage as a back scene rather than as a practical solution. The ramp up to the stage will be in low relief and disappears behind the shed. Water cranes, yard lamps and inspection/ash pits can also be seen along with untidy heaps of ash, so common at north east sheds of the period. It all needs further blending in and weathering but it's been a good tonic to wiring.

The second photo shows some card cut to fit between the tracks so road vehicles can get close to the wagons. This will be painted and weathered to replicate concrete.

Regards,

Tom

Tom - looks great. An ambitious project and I’m looking forward to seeing how this evolves. Top work thus far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1 April 2020 at 18:53, tom shaw said:

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom, is the Engine shed scratch built?? looks the business. Take the roof off and you have Tyne Dock/Percy Main :-) Coming on well. Love the progress so far.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete,

the engine shed is scratchbuilt from card, scalescenes brickpaper (inside and out), superquick tilepaper cut into strips and scene setters windows with paper frames. It is based on Hartlepool and featured on my previous layout.

Hartlepool managed to keep most of it's roof until near the end of steam. I grew up about quarter of a mile from Tyne Dock so I know the state it was in at the end.

Cheers,

Tom

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Brilliant subject!

Came too late to Tyneside (1976 from Africa) to catch steam in Shields  (though we rented originally adjacent to the colliery line from Backworth north of the Tyne, and I loved the sound of the NCB locos  at night slogging away slowly up/down to the Northumberland Dock).

Wife worked at the Marine & Tech till 2004 - she started Social Care and Counselling courses there within a seriously macho Catering Department, ending up as College Counsellor to lonely overseas Marine students.  I enjoyed her objecting to the lowering of the College pass mark to 40% while on the Examination Board there.  When asked why she was the only one objecting, she argued that Deck Officers ought to be far more accurate in their navigation!

The Harton line passed close by the new College site in Westoe Village (the old one became a pub on Ocean Road) and I was fascinated by the way the busy line slipped so silently through downtown Shields. Looking forward to your modelling of that - so like the NER might have been to York.

Latterly the resort was famous (like Whitley Bay) as the Scottish Riviera during Glasgow Fairs Week:D though  since the closure of Westoe colliery the sea front has been very skilfully reconstructed using EU money by a Brexit voting population!

Best Wishes

dh

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 3 April 2020 at 19:12, tom shaw said:

Thanks Pete,

the engine shed is scratchbuilt from card, scalescenes brickpaper (inside and out), superquick tilepaper cut into strips and scene setters windows with paper frames. It is based on Hartlepool and featured on my previous layout.

Hartlepool managed to keep most of it's roof until near the end of steam. I grew up about quarter of a mile from Tyne Dock so I know the state it was in at the end.

Cheers,

Tom

Any chance of a closer look at it whenever you can? Thanks, (I have a Hornby Scenecraft shed two road stone built with the arched doors. Its ok but....)

Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Pete,

The shed first appeared here (page 2, near the bottom) and developed through several attempts at roofs and skylights.

I'll take some specific shots when I can.

Regards,

Tom

3 hours ago, tom shaw said:

Pete,

The shed first appeared here (page 2, near the bottom) and developed through several attempts at roofs and skylights.

I'll take some specific shots when I can.

Regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom, I had a look at your old thread. Was impressive!

Regards

Pete

• 8 months later...