• 3 weeks later...

Wow Tom, how have I missed this.  Fantastic standard of modelling.  The station building, overall roof and tower will look amazing when finished.  Correct me if I'm wrong but is South Shields now "served" by the dreaded Metro?

Keep up the incredible work - now following.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 18:35, Brian D said:

Wow Tom, how have I missed this.  Fantastic standard of modelling.  The station building, overall roof and tower will look amazing when finished.  Correct me if I'm wrong but is South Shields now "served" by the dreaded Metro?

Keep up the incredible work - now following.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

yes the site of the old South Shields station became a Metro bus stop but my station remains open, possibly as one end of a heritage line !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 18:51, durham light infantry said:

I like that a lot, very reminiscent of the Victoria road entrance to Darlington Bank Top.

Yes, good spot. I thought that would fit in well with the roof

Tom

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi Tom'

Thanks for posting the progress photos, the station buildings look spectacular. Is the goods shed based on Monkwearmouth? Will you be laying third rail? Please keep us updated as you say you should post more often. I am enjoying playing trains on Tynebank and am busy with a small project based on Hallbankgate which is in the industrial railways forum. I have room for one more micro and have drawn up plans for a very reduced version of St Hida's Sidings, I do love the Harton System. I've just had a pacemaker fitted on Monday, so sorry I didn't reply sooner.  More htos plese.

Stay safe

Ian B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom, that's looking really good mate!  Needs the third rail though for sure.

Ian's mention of Hilda sidings - I have just started a 7mm Harton E10, Judith Edge job - oh-oh, looks like a mini layout appearing....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom'

Thanks for posting the progress photos, the station buildings look spectacular. Is the goods shed based on Monkwearmouth? Will you be laying third rail? Please keep us updated as you say you should post more often. I am enjoying playing trains on Tynebank and am busy with a small project based on Hallbankgate which is in the industrial railways forum. I have room for one more micro and have drawn up plans for a very reduced version of St Hida's Sidings, I do love the Harton System. I've just had a pacemaker fitted on Monday, so sorry I didn't reply sooner.  More htos plese.

Stay safe

Ian B

Thanks Ian,

yes the goods shed is based on Monkwearmouth with a couple of bays knocked off. I will certainly be doing some third rail, so I can run my Bachmann electric set. I'm thinking of adding a third rail to platform 3, the one outside the train shed, having platform 1 (the longest one) for mainline trains and platform 2 for Sunderland/Middlesbrough etc. The low level sidings at the front of the layout will have the overhead electrified lines of the Harton system.

Hope you're feeling well.

Tom

• Like 3

Hi Tom,

I was wondering what you are going to use for the catenary  masts on your Harton section. I want to have a representation of the Seimen's lattice type on my next project and was thinking about having some custom etches done. Problem; I don't have the faintest idea how to go about this or indeed the costs involved. The Somm erfeld one I used on Tynebank are neither fish nor fowl. Any ideas would be welcome

Cheers

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Hi Tom,

I was wondering what you are going to use for the catenary  masts on your Harton section. I want to have a representation of the Seimen's lattice type on my next project and was thinking about having some custom etches done. Problem; I don't have the faintest idea how to go about this or indeed the costs involved. The Somm erfeld one I used on Tynebank are neither fish nor fowl. Any ideas would be welcome

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I was thinking about using brass 'H' section for most with the odd lattice here and there. I was going to buy a plastruct 3.5mm lattice girder to see if that would work but other than that I haven't given it any more thought. I wouldn't want to solder one up.

3D printing might be an alternative to etches.

Something like this for the low level yard (apologies if copyright is infringed, I will take down if so)

532781554_Shieldsbackscene.jpg.ebc4c529b1f4b7300526bbafbd203f14.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tom shaw
Spelling corrected
  • Like 1

I wonder if MSE  LNER lattice posts would be any good. I'll have to study the photos of the Seimens masts a bit more carefully. The H section will work well and also be robust. One of the problems I have with Tynebank is the vulnerability of the masts, signals and lights, even though I have electromag couplings things do get knocked. I like your arrangement with the Harton lines low enough so the upper area can still be accessed. I didn't do that and the upper level is a bit low!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...