NYMR GOATHLAND - Bridge 27 & Bridge 8 Replacement

s182ggu

Hi.

Is anyone aware of any news updates, pictures etc of the works to replace this bridge over Eller Beck, please?

I've found 3x YouTube videos so far and I gather from these that the bridge parts have been delivered to site and that a Kirow crane arrived at Goathland yesterday, so if anyone knows of any other sites / threads with relevant information, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by s182ggu
spelling!!

Thanks GWR.

These are 2 of the 3 that come up when you search YouTube for 'Bridge 27'.

I appreciate your looking for me.

Edited by s182ggu

You've not really missed anything so far, the bridge kit arrived at Grosmont on the 20th December and was taken to Goathland and deposited in the Loop.  The 2 Kirow cranes came in on the 2nd and went to Goathland on the 3rd and all wagons were shunted around to put everything in the right place and work continues as we speak to pull out the S&T equipment and lift running lines so the bridge came come out in the next couple of weeks.

I live about 1/2 mile from all this, if there is enough interest I can keep everyone updated with photos etc

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Boris

Pete55 kindly referred me above to the NYMR Unofficial Forum where I can see that there are updates being added.

However I, for one, would very much appreciate any news, pics and local chit-chat on here, if you would be good enough to keep us up to date - the news would of course be greatly enhanced by your local knowledge and style(!).

Thanks for the offer and I hope that others will take you up on it!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, s182ggu said:

Hi Boris

Pete55 kindly referred me above to the NYMR Unofficial Forum where I can see that there are updates being added.

However I, for one, would very much appreciate any news, pics and local chit-chat on here, if you would be good enough to keep us up to date - the news would of course be greatly enhanced by your local knowledge and style(!).

Thanks for the offer and I hope that others will take you up on it!

I would be very interested as well.

• Agree 1

Getting that bridge train to Goathland was a challenge, it was a heavy rafton a crappy rail condition and we couldn't take a run at the hill and build up speed because the the throw out on the bridge had to be watched as it went through the tunnel - hence the really slow departure from Grosmont on the video.  In theory the next proper bridge moves are the 26th and 27th of January, the kirow 1200 (the big crane) will be collected from Goathland on the Sunday and positioned at Grosmont ready to leave on the 27th - times and dates tbc.

I will do something on here having a lifetime ban from the NYMR forum.

Edited by Boris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Boris.

At least Simon Lee and I can look forward to your updates and information - hopefully others will join us over the next couple of weeks.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, s182ggu said:

Thanks Boris.

At least Simon Lee and I can look forward to your updates and information - hopefully others will join us over the next couple of weeks.

There are lurkers like me who say little.  Thanks Boris.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:27, Boris said:

Getting that bridge train to Goathland was a challenge, it was a heavy rafton a crappy rail condition and we couldn't take a run at the hill and build up speed because the the throw out on the bridge had to be watched as it went through the tunnel - hence the really slow departure from Grosmont on the video.  In theory the next proper bridge moves are the 26th and 27th of January, the kirow 1200 (the big crane) will be collected from Goathland on the Sunday and positioned at Grosmont ready to leave on the 27th - times and dates tbc.

I will do something on here having a lifetime ban from the NYMR forum.

Hi Boris

Any updates please - I've read elsewhere that the bridge decks are now being or have been removed but people with cameras seem to be shying away!!

Best Wishes

1 hour ago, s182ggu said:

Hi Boris

Any updates please - I've read elsewhere that the bridge decks are now being or have been removed but people with cameras seem to be shying away!!

Best Wishes

Quite a lot of progress to write up with photos, just shy on time.  Aiming to sit down and do week 1 tomorrow

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Quite a lot of progress to write up with photos, just shy on time.  Aiming to sit down and do week 1 tomorrow

Terrific Boris - thanks.

Boris - that's excellent, thanks a lot.

Your clearance to get up close and your local knowledge, along with the photos really lets us see what's going on.

You've also answered another question of mine - what was the plan for the remaining span under the siding?

Thanks again.

Edited by s182ggu

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Boris said:

So this is the end of the first proper week on Bridge 27 and for all intents and purposes it has been removed.

The new bridge kit arrived before Xmas and was taken to Goathland, it has been sat waiting for about 3 weeks now.

The Railway shut on the 1st January and the Kirow cranes arrived on the evening of the 2nd, and were taken to the work site on the 3rd January, the rest of the day was spent shunting everything into the right place.  Whilst all this was taking place the track and S&T equipment over the old bridge was removed and by Monday work could start on the bridge itself.

The first job after ballast clearing was to remove the bitumen from the original deck to all it to be burnt off safely.

1.jpg.9a44dd6e881ed12d31842aa7cfaa5c57.jpg

You can see both the protective layer of bitumen here and how thin the deck actually is.

2.jpg.08ba3cc0aeadccb4cb70391a530b47dd.jpg

The other side decking was in far better condition having been replaced in the 80s by Ian Storey Engineering.

By Wednesday the decking was ready to commence removal, because of the size it can out in 4 chunks3.jpg.4021b19bf2b3b153fcdbd6a8787be5ff.jpg5.jpg.57623cd45a9dd007e5832af83a7b306d.jpg4.jpg.315a3ac43aca08ffd9a0240dc3a84a4b.jpg

Looking into the hole is quite freaky, but it gets bigger quickly as the first of the main girders are removed.

81728759_10219090102496425_1942653685536391168_n.jpg.89ffd5f198e62e1751cbb4398a831bbd.jpg

Which was quickly followed by the 2nd one

7.jpg.d53ed4bde7d1c68c2baf44786ec0d228.jpg

These girders were then reduced in size and taken away by rail for disposal.

9.jpg.004d2f41abf535cfe156d760e0e6b820.jpg

You can see the size of the hole in the railway line now, that is the access scaffolding underneath.  The remaining span isn't too bad as it hasn't had the loadings of the others and only carries a siding, so it will be refurbished and repainted instead of being removed.

Just to remind everyone, this is a construction work site, I'm afraid you can't just walk in and have a look, but you can get an excellent view from the road, and the public grassed areas visible on the left and right of the last photo.  You can also get a reasonable view from the cattle dock and footbridge, which are being left open again for public viewing.

Photos by j Bruce

Is it going to look the same as the original?  Take it kev yeoman is with the  crane. 

John Bruce is part of the scenery up there surprised the Bachmann model of the signalbox doesn't have him in it! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Is it going to look the same as the original?  Take it kev yeoman is with the  crane. 

John Bruce is part of the scenery up there surprised the Bachmann model of the signalbox doesn't have him in it! 

Kev is indeed there with the crane.

It will look similar is the best I can say, there won't be a girder in the 6 foot between the running lines, in effect they are creating 2 seperate bridges, one with the sidings and one with the running lines.

They can't model Brucey because he is that small everyone would complain the scale is wrong!

Edited by Boris
  • Funny 2