Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

After more years than I care to remember not finishing models in all sorts of scales my New Year resolution is to take a project to something like completion. I plan to make a model of Glasgow Queen Street in the fifties/sixties in OO to include at least a bit of the goods station. The signal gantry will be a bit of a challenge!

I can't promise to always be true to period with the stock. I will run a class 27 push pull set when you are not looking. It is after all a train of my childhood.

I hope the journey will be of some interest.

• Like 6

Looking forward to watching this layout develop. There is already an EM version based on the late eighties under construction and I am currently building GQS based in autumn 1985 in P4.  (Very much a long term project) The track plan and platform configuration was very different in fifties to mid sixties compared to 1985 and different again compared to post 1986

I have laid out a plan of the station throat using Peco point templates to see if a reasonable representation can be achieved with standard points. Initial thought is it looks encouraging. I also drew out a plan of the roof elevation to scale to get a feel of overall size.

20200105_101422.jpg

20200105_101039.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Will follow with interest .  I know the track layout was changed quite substantially to what it is now , don’t know when though.  I think there was a Steam Days article on Queen Street though .  Are you going to have Swindon Inter-City dmu? 

Will definitely have one or two of those. What attracts me to the location is the variety of motive power and the way the station was operated. There are not many locations this size where locomotives arrive in threes and fours to take their trains.I will also have to have a couple of N15s for banking. A V3 or two would be good too. Also including the goods yard means I can run some freight as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall back in the 80's or early 90's there was a model of Queen Street on the exhibition circuit. Bishopton Club springs to mind from some dark recess of my brain.

It had the start of the roof on each side but was then just the girders to allow access/viewing. Definitely recall seeing it a few times, probably at Model Rail Scotland and or Ayr, Paisley or Cathcart shows that I used to go to with my Dad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have drawn up a preliminary roster of locomotives for GQS based on photos and recorded observations from various books. The choice is wide but here is my (wish) list!

Peppercorn A1 60161 North British

Peppercorn A2 60530 Sayajirao

Thompson A2 60507 Highland Chieftain

Gresley A3 60094 Colorado

Gresley A4 60031 Golden Plover

B1 61140

Black Five 44968

Standard 5MT 73105

J37 64639

J83 68479

N15 69163

V1/V3 67664

D49 62708 Argyllshire

D34 62447 Glen Dochart

D11/2 62673 Evan Dhu

V2 60836

and

J36

Deltic 

Swindon DMU

Class 101 DMU

Class 27

Class 21/29

Some will be more challenging than others, but plenty to keep me busy.

What progress have I made you might ask? Answer , I bought a Bachmann J72! A lovely model and of an Eastfield based loco but I have not seen evidence yet that it ever made it to GQS. More discipline required I hear you all shout!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2020 at 07:37, David Bell said:

I bought a Bachmann J72! A lovely model and of an Eastfield based loco but I have not seen evidence yet that it ever made it to GQS. More discipline required I hear you all shout!

Who’s to say it never made it into QS?  As it’s a Eastfield engine, it could have just trundled down there with a few vans and nobody bothered photographing it because it’s “Just a J72, now where’s the interesting stuff”.

• RMweb Premium

Oh I think a J72 at Queen Street would have been interesting . What people forget in this digital age, when you can just get your phone out and take a pic , is that to capture something unusual back then the person just needed to have a camera on hand and then not make a fist of taking the pic . Focal length , film speed . Then of course there was the expense of the film and development , so it may have happened , just no one around to record it for prosperity .

Good stock list . I went Queen St to Edinburgh and back on Saturday , now all you would need is Class 385. Glasgow - Edinburgh in 42 mins and on time both ways . Quite impressive . I know they run there but didn't  see a Scotrail HST!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2020 at 07:37, David Bell said:

I have drawn up a preliminary roster of locomotives for GQS based on photos and recorded observations from various books. The choice is wide but here is my (wish) list!

Peppercorn A1 60161 North British

Peppercorn A2 60530 Sayajirao

Thompson A2 60507 Highland Chieftain

Gresley A3 60094 Colorado

Gresley A4 60031 Golden Plover

B1 61140

Black Five 44968

Standard 5MT 73105

J37 64639

J83 68479

N15 69163

V1/V3 67664

D49 62708 Argyllshire

D34 62447 Glen Dochart

D11/2 62673 Evan Dhu

V2 60836

and

J36

Deltic 

Swindon DMU

Class 101 DMU

Class 27

Class 21/29

Some will be more challenging than others, but plenty to keep me busy.

What progress have I made you might ask? Answer , I bought a Bachmann J72! A lovely model and of an Eastfield based loco but I have not seen evidence yet that it ever made it to GQS. More discipline required I hear you all shout!

I know it would be highly unlikely but would Class 17 Clayton’s ever appeared at Queen Street?  Is it possible that they could have brought a parcels train in or some vans or general goods into the goods yard?

Edited by jools1959

You make a good point. I am toying with the idea of having the profile of the wall on the viewing side in clear plastic. The viewing side will be the side where the goods yard is. Also I will leave the goods yard open, ie not model the roof of that part, but I will model the station roof, at least all the main spars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2020 at 10:36, David Bell said:

Here is some work in progress, a V1 fitted with the uncoupling wire common in GQS banking locos. 

It will look less conspicuous when it is painted!20200210_102722.jpg.c3a56fe15c979298b2ba0b3eb27cd283.jpg

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but why would Glasgow Queen Street bankers have a uncoupling cord or wire when most gradients that needed banking, once the majority of the banked train was over the crest of the incline, the banker just slowed down as the other train accelerated away.

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but why would Glasgow Queen Street bankers have a uncoupling cord or wire when most gradients that needed banking, once the majority of the banked train was over the crest of the incline, the banker just slowed down as the other train accelerated away.

The Queen Street bankers were coupled to the trains they were banking, with a slip coupling released by that uncoupling wire. The gradient, as you will know :yes:, was through a fairly long tunnel. The possibility of a train and an uncoupled banker becoming separated in a smoky tunnel would raise safety concerns.

• Informative/Useful 2