Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, David Bell said:

It was only a matter of time before this happened! In time I think I will run in mid late seventies as if the station had not changed, as well as the 50's/60's. Well I did say I would sneak in a 27 push pull when you weren't looking!

20200614_180538.jpg

20200614_180640.jpg

It is looking good although much better with proper trains!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Now you're just teasing!  I'm looking at modelling mid-70s into mid-80s, but watching your progress with interest.  Here's where I am with the build so far, although I am currently working on track away from the terminus.

Steve

20200604_131149.jpg

Steve

That really looks the part, just the way I remember. You really have chosen a great time frame, 27 push pulls and 47 shove duffs, class 37 on the WHL workings plus all those dmus. With sound as well you will end up with a superb model.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, David Bell said:

It was only a matter of time before this happened! In time I think I will run in mid late seventies as if the station had not changed, as well as the 50's/60's. Well I did say I would sneak in a 27 push pull when you weren't looking!

20200614_180538.jpg

20200614_180640.jpg

Love it :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There has been a little progress with tracklaying at GQS.- emphasis on little! The first picture shows what has been secured to the boards. However I have spent a bit of time trying to get smooth curves and flows and have had to amend the plan a bit. The other two pictures with some of the remaining track in place shows where I am heading and I am happy with the way this is turning out

20200726_181009.jpg

20200726_180819.jpg

20200726_180754.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

I have realised as I am doing this that I probably only have one big layout in me so this one better tick all the boxes. So,deep breath, I have decided to expand. My plan is to incorporate GQS into a roundy roundy layout because I will want continuous running too. I will have 30 ft x 9 ft available so my plan is to have GQS and a fiddle yard on one side and something else on  the other side. I will route the continuous run under GQS enabling me to include one end of Queen Street Lower(just the visible bit) . The other side will be Polmont including the bay for Boness trains at the East end and the loops at the West end. This will give somewhere or the trains to go and let me watch the trains go by. So in for the long haul!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, David Bell said:

I will have 30 ft x 9 ft available 

You could get several west highland line stations in that space!

More seriously and having used Stirling as a base for Scottish railrovers, I have always liked the thought of modelling Stirling as a through station. The volume and variety of traction was always fascinating to me, in the late 70's I recall seeing classes 08, 20, 25, 26, 27, 37, 40 and 47. Going back further in the diesel era would add in 21/29 and 24's and whilst I am ignorant of it, I do'nt doubt that the steam era would be equally interesting.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. It would make a great modeĺ. Three signal boxes and all those semaphore signals which lasted to 2013.

I spent quite a bit of time on Stirling station in the seventies and eighties.

There is a good relatively recent booklet devoted to Stirling station A4 size runs to 43 pages.

20200825_090101.jpg

20200825_090119.jpg

45 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you route it over the top you can have a prototypical Cowlairs incline.

Mike.

An interesting thought. After further consideration i am going to route the continuous run behind GQS rather than under it. I will draw up a plan of the whole layout and see how it looks.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could not resist laying out some stock. Here we have a Class 21 with a couple of vans. The class 26 on a parcels train. Some local workings in the middle and an express at platform 2. I have just noticed I have a mk2 fk next to an ex LMS Porthole, somewhat unlikely! I need a couple more Mk 1 coaches and this rake will form the North Britain. I think tomorrow I will lay out the blue grey stock and see how that looks!

20200928_162818.jpg

20200928_162927.jpg

20200928_163112.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, David Bell said:

I will lay out the blue grey stock and see how that looks!

Much better I am sure! Am looking forward to seeing the platforms emerge, the difference between the 60's layout you are building and the 80's I remember is much greater than I had realised 

Edited by young37215

4 minutes ago, young37215 said:

Much better I am sure! Am looking forward to seeing the platforms emerge, the difference between the 60's layout you are building and the 80's I remember is much greater than I had realised 

Even more so when you realise I have only modelled about a third of the goods yard. I know it is pie in the sky but think how the station would have been if the original layout had endured a little longer. Of course running freight down a tunnel that requires passenger trains every five minutes or so would be difficult to say the least. I will put the seventies eighties stock out tomorrow. That is my era if I am honest!

• Like 1