Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

And a couple more.

The second is representative of a SRPS railtour from the mid-late seventies. It comprises the two preserved CR coaches, two LMS coaches, a Gresley buffet and 3 BR Mk1s. We used to take this train regularly to Kyle and Mallaig,as well as elsewhere including Gourock, Dufftown and Keighley. As far as i know we never took it into Queen Street. The closest it would have got was the other end of the Cowlairs incline on the way to the West Highland. We used to start from Falkirk, Edinburgh, Dunfermline or Dundee and pick up Glasgow based passengers at Westerton, Singer and Rhu then head to Fort William and Mallaig. Happy days!

20200929_121729.jpg

20200929_125513.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, I particularly like the railtour rake. 

I spent some time last night trying to overlay the 60's station layout you are modelling on the 80's layout I remember. My Glasgow Stations book indicates that the number of platforms was reduced from 9 to 7 but I stuggled to reconcile the platform layout to any great degree. I then found the Urban Glasgow website which made everything much clearer. I am sure that you are familiar with this, there are numerous photographs from all eras that chart the evolution of the station.  

https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/queen-street-station-t2757.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob. The website is a mine of information. The picture showing the reconstruction in progress really shows how much remodelling took place. I am not surprised you struggled to reconcile the two layouts. Pretty much everything apart from platform 1 and 2 was radically changed.

Cheers

David

51 minutes ago, 65288_62C said:

Hello David,

I have been hanging back waiting to see if anyone else would point this out but.....     .....with the track layout as it stands there appears to be no way for incoming trains (including ECS from Cowlairs) can access Platforms 1 and 2.  Although I'm not absolutely certain, my memory suggests there was a scissors crossover just inside the tunnel mouth to facilitate such a move.  You could probably get away with a facing crossover hidden further inside the tunnel.  I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but I thought I had better let you know before anything gets fixed down permanently.

Regards, 

Brian

Thanks for your post Brian. I must admit it vexed me for a while but you are correct, there was a crossover inside the tunnel that allowed trains to access platforms 1 and 2. This means any train arriving to these platforms will appear from the tunnel on what would be considered the wrong line. I am in two minds as to whether I will put a crossover immediately inside the tunnel mouth or alternatively put the crossover at the fiddle yard end out in the open (which I think is my current preference). 

• Like 1

Will you not be modelling a part inside the tunnel at all David? Sort of half a tunnel? I guess the gradient might overcomplicate things if you need the fiddle yard to be on the same level. It's looks rather nice already, always waiting for the next installment. 

As an aside until when did the railtours run with that stock to Mallaig?

Andy

17 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Will you not be modelling a part inside the tunnel at all David? Sort of half a tunnel? I guess the gradient might overcomplicate things if you need the fiddle yard to be on the same level. It's looks rather nice already, always waiting for the next installment. 

Andy

I will have about 4ft of tunnel with buildings above then the fiddle yard. I am thinking just to have just plain double track in the tunnel, no crossovers, and I am keeping it flat.

The stock was in use until the early eighties. I have seen pictures of a SRPS train with the 

LMS coaches and buffet car in 1983 heading for Kyle. (Didnt include the CR coaches by then) I am sure they would have visited Mallaig that year too. After that the train was made up of BR mk1s in maroon, just as it is today,

In my days on the train in the late seventies the train could have the NBR invalid saloon, GNSR coach no1 and the BR built Thompson suburban brake as well as the coaches I have shown in my rake. We used to sleep in the Thompson Coach, being non corridor it was isolated from the rest of the train.

20200930_132331.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Andy

I will have about 4ft of tunnel with buildings above then the fiddle yard. I am thinking just to have just plain double track in the tunnel, no crossovers, and I am keeping it flat.

The stock was in use until the early eighties. I have seen pictures of a SRPS train with the 

LMS coaches and buffet car in 1983 heading for Kyle. (Didnt include the CR coaches by then) I am sure they would have visited Mallaig that year too. After that the train was made up of BR mk1s in maroon, just as it is today,

In my days on the train in the late seventies the train could have the NBR invalid saloon, GNSR coach no1 and the BR built Thompson suburban brake as well as the coaches I have shown in my rake. We used to sleep in the Thompson Coach, being non corridor it was isolated from the rest of the train.

Sounds a great way to of spent your weekends David. Some lovely coaches involved.

I'm glad that the CR coaches were not used by 83 as personally that'll save me money. In time the rest of the set would make a great addition to my own layout.

Andy

Probably wise not having crossovers in the tunnel; I think I've mentioned before the havoc the real ones caused when they failed, so much so that 4 years since retiring I can, I think, recall their numbers: 747 and 748 points. How sad is that ?!

Good luck with your layout David, the BR blue era is how I first encountered Queen St, with the 27 hauled push/pulls, 27s on the West Highlands and 40s on the Aberdeen and Inverness trains. Wondrous days ! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/08/2020 at 19:20, David Bell said:

I have realised as I am doing this that I probably only have one big layout in me so this one better tick all the boxes. So,deep breath, I have decided to expand. My plan is to incorporate GQS into a roundy roundy layout because I will want continuous running too. I will have 30 ft x 9 ft available so my plan is to have GQS and a fiddle yard on one side and something else on  the other side. I will route the continuous run under GQS enabling me to include one end of Queen Street Lower(just the visible bit) . The other side will be Polmont including the bay for Boness trains at the East end and the loops at the West end. This will give somewhere or the trains to go and let me watch the trains go by. So in for the long haul!

I have drawn up the whole plan incorporating GQS. It turned out a little different to what I expected!

20201002_174304.jpg

• Like 5

I have drawn the circuit as double track with the thought the station would be Polmont- a childhood haunt of mine.

My thought  is that it should be a station which trains from GQS ran to so I was thinking Edinburgh to Glasgow. However I could choose the West Highland and make the circuit single track. Looking at the plan with a viaduct in the bottom left hand corner Rannoch comes to mind.  Put the viaduct on the curve. Now there's a thought!

• Like 2

Be careful David - i started out to model Greenhill Junctions and have then expanded to cover Eastfield and GQS too - not true to scale versions but taking inspiration from these locations.  Nothing is very far on funnily enough as i might have bitten off more than i can chew...  Loving look of GQS you have going so far - mine is based on 80s/90s track plan although i didn't quite get angle of approach right as whole station is too square (but i ain't lifting and relaying now!).

Matt

• Like 1

I was other side of the Forth in Clackmannanshire - no railways near us unfortunately but used to keep close eye on the Menstrie tanks when passing and wish i'd paid more attention to pre-sprinter action through Stirling when i was there.  My version - well - lets just hope you're still young if you're waiting to see if finished.... not helped by a house move in the middle of things.  I should actually have all the adapted baseboards back in position in the next week or so but still some big gaps in track and wiring....  have been doing some scenery work recently too.  Should resurrect my thread but i find it always reminds me of how much is still to be done...

M

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Legend said:

Wow . That’s a lot of work David 

Yes you are not wrong. I need to do 2 of these ends, 9 intermediate arches and 80 girder sections to join it all together.

I am not going anywhere anytime soon so it should keep me busy!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, 55020 said:

How wide is the roof going to be?

If you fancy modelling it twice, I'd be happy to pay for one :D

The roof is 690mm wide. The columns on which it sits are centred 680mm apart. For length it is 1660mm. I will need to make it in three parts so I can lift the middle section out if a train comes to grief. I also need to figure out how to fit working lights to it. Because it is brass the roof itself can be one side of the circuit.