Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

On 28/09/2020 at 18:21, David Bell said:

I could not resist laying out some stock. Here we have a Class 21 with a couple of vans. The class 26 on a parcels train. Some local workings in the middle and an express at platform 2. I have just noticed I have a mk2 fk next to an ex LMS Porthole, somewhat unlikely! I need a couple more Mk 1 coaches and this rake will form the North Britain. I think tomorrow I will lay out the blue grey stock and see how that looks!

20200928_162818.jpg

20200928_162927.jpg

20200928_163112.jpg

Did the station have transversers at the platform ends? 

10 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Did the station have transversers at the platform ends? 

No. The five platform roads that have what look like traversers crossed the low level platforms on girders. It is the representation of this that you can see.There were no run round loops in any of the platforms. Stock was moved by station pilots and the train locomotives would reverse out of the station and up Cowlairs incline to be serviced and turned. Incoming locomotives would often come back down the station in threes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What people forget in theses days of a train every 15mins to Edinburgh every hour to Aberdeen , West Highland , Anniesland  , Falkirk and Cumbernauld  trains , is that traffic was actually quite sparse at Queen St . This was particularly so  in the period David is modelling when Buchanan St was still open . So although the layout looks restrictive it probably coped quite well with the traffic . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

57 minutes ago, David Bell said:

No. The five platform roads that have what look like traversers crossed the low level platforms on girders. It is the representation of this that you can see.There were no run round loops in any of the platforms. Stock was moved by station pilots and the train locomotives would reverse out of the station and up Cowlairs incline to be serviced and turned. Incoming locomotives would often come back down the station in threes.

Thats even better for model railway working :)

Your layout is great!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Thats even better for model railway working :)

Your layout is great!  

Thanks for that.

Add to that the heavy trains were banked out of the station because of the steep grade in the tunnel. 

N15 0-6-2T, V1/V3 2-6-2T, BR 2-6-4T and even the odd J83 0-6-0T were all used for this purpose. Also it was not unusual to see double headed trains. Commonly the West Highland departure would have 2 Black Fives or a Black 5 and B1.

• Like 4

My Goodness David. That roof looks a huge task. Could take you a while but wow it's going to look absolutely fantastic. Really looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

I doff my cap to you Sir.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy. I have definitely decided on Rannoch for the other side of the layout so that is my WHL fix sorted! I have shelved the Fort William Shed project for now in favour of a much smaller scheme based on Allerton shed. I have called it Little Allerton DED, it is on the 7mm+ section.GQS and Rannoch will be the main priority though.

Yes I noticed the change of tack on the 7mm project. GQS is looking like it will be an awesome layout and to include Rannoch will be very nice. I'm watching this with real interest. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2020 at 07:58, Legend said:

What people forget in theses days of a train every 15mins to Edinburgh every hour to Aberdeen , West Highland , Anniesland  , Falkirk and Cumbernauld  trains , is that traffic was actually quite sparse at Queen St . This was particularly so  in the period David is modelling when Buchanan St was still open . So although the layout looks restrictive it probably coped quite well with the traffic . 

Even Buchanan Street only had 26 departures per day!  It was known for short periods of frenzied activity between long stretches of quietness.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

A couple of new locos for the GQS roster. The 5MT 73109 is an Eastfield loco so no remembering required. I plan to remember the class 45 to D89  " Honourable Artillery Company". This loco was shedded at Leeds in the late sixties so could have hauled the North Briton. I will fit it with the appropriate name board and use it for this service.20201203_184953.jpg.2ec78456644c05cdb7a84b355b1e358e.jpg

20201203_184833.jpg

• Like 7

Some time back I said I would model Rannoch on the other side of the layout from GQS. So I was really pleased to find this laser cut kit of Rannoch station building from Pop up Designs. It will make a good starting point for modelling the building.

20201206_160726.jpg

20201206_160816.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I like Rannoch station building, the picture looks the business. I hope that this kit is not interfering with your building of the Queen Street roof? I am sure I am not the only one waiting to see this develop. 

It surprises me that it has taken so long for someone to create a laser cut kit for what is effectively a generic model for most of the WHL Swiss chalet styled buildings. It is much the same for signal boxes, hopefully Iain Ross will get around to producing one of these at some stage.

• Like 1

Unfortunately work is getting in the way of the roof! Still at this time that is not such a bad problem to have. Things will quieten down soon and I will get back to it. The Rannoch kit will be salted away for later.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 07:37, David Bell said:

"I have drawn up a preliminary roster of locomotives for GQS based on photos and recorded observations from various books. The choice is wide but here is my (wish) list!"

Now that's a roster of locos to sit back of an evening and watch with pleasure!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Bell said:

It is quite a list and of course I keep adding to it. I have bought a Peak, a class 26 and a K1 and an L1, none on the list!

Yeah but you've got to indulge yourself from time to time . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loved it . Thanks for posting . I’ve travelled to Oban and Rannoch by train but I’ve never gone to Mallaig . Hopefully 2021 we can get out again .  The line looks idyllic, unless you were the fireman! 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, David Bell said:

Happy New Year to all on RMWeb. Here is to 2021 and a return to some kind of normality. Maybe even the odd model railway show. 

Cheers

David

Same to you David, let’s hope 2021 is better than 2020, well, it can’t be any worse